A few stupid questions about SB mods

gme109

A few stupid questions about SB mods
« on: 24 Aug 2006, 05:59 pm »
From what I can gather the best possible sound from the SB would be: Computer hard drive > SB > analog out using internal SB dac & going directly into amp. Is that correct? If so what mods are necessary for getting the best sound? Also I'm using a Mac, will this work with the SB, and can I use iTunes, or is there a better way of ripping with the Mac, if in fact a Mac can be used?

Thanks

mfsoa

Re: A few stupid questions about SB mods
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2006, 06:12 pm »
If I may add to this, since the analog mod was discussed:

Is the output voltage still cut with the analog mods, or is there a way to keep voltage > 2v?
If I can't get the 2v, I'll have to pass for use with my zero-gain preamp, I think.

Thanks

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2006, 06:46 pm »
Hello Gary,

Macs work just fine with Slimserver and the Squeezebox. I do not use a Mac. I have heard that MAX http://sbooth.org/Max/ is a good program to use to rip to FLAC using a Mac

Itunes can be used with Apple Lossless, but there are some folks who do not care for it.

The BEST possible sounding mods I have heard is the SB2 with Sonicaps as main coupling cap and the Sonicap Gen 2 and Sonicap Platinum as bypass caps. The Gold Bybee Purifiers were also used in this mod. BlackGate caps were used liberally in the internal power supplies.

The power supply was the Ultimate MKII with Bybee Purifiers and Summit DC cable.

The cost for the SB2 mod is around $950.00
The Power Supply is $1150.00
The DC cable is $300.00

Total for all mods and power supply $2400.00 not including the SB2 and shipping.

The SB3 with Sonicap Platinums and Gold Bybees will come very close to the same sound. Because of the case size difference the full size Sonicaps cannot be used. The cost for the SB3 mod would be $900.00 or  $2300.00 total, not including the SB3 and shipping.

The mods I do remove the analog audio op-amp. The analog audio is driven directly off of the DAC chip through the very high quality capacitors and Bybee Purifiers for the most simple signal path. The maximum output of the DAC chip is 1.1 VRMS.

I do not suggest using a preamp of any type. Quite a few amplifiers can be driven directly from the SB2 or 3. There is an internal volume control that will handle lowering volume just fine. If your amp and speaker combination does require more than 1.1 Vrms to reach full volume for your system, you can look at using a step up transformer, similar to what is used to raise the voltage of moving coil cartridges in a phono system.

gme109

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2006, 07:21 pm »
Hello Gary,

Macs work just fine with Slimserver and the Squeezebox. I do not use a Mac. I have heard that MAX http://sbooth.org/Max/ is a good program to use to rip to FLAC using a Mac

Itunes can be used with Apple Lossless, but there are some folks who do not care for it.

The BEST possible sounding mods I have heard is the SB2 with Sonicaps as main coupling cap and the Sonicap Gen 2 and Sonicap Platinum as bypass caps. The Gold Bybee Purifiers were also used in this mod. BlackGate caps were used liberally in the internal power supplies.

The power supply was the Ultimate MKII with Bybee Purifiers and Summit DC cable.

The cost for the SB2 mod is around $950.00
The Power Supply is $1150.00
The DC cable is $300.00

Total for all mods and power supply $2400.00 not including the SB2 and shipping.

The SB3 with Sonicap Platinums and Gold Bybees will come very close to the same sound. Because of the case size difference the full size Sonicaps cannot be used. The cost for the SB3 mod would be $900.00 or  $2300.00 total, not including the SB3 and shipping.

The mods I do remove the analog audio op-amp. The analog audio is driven directly off of the DAC chip through the very high quality capacitors and Bybee Purifiers for the most simple signal path. The maximum output of the DAC chip is 1.1 VRMS.

I do not suggest using a preamp of any type. Quite a few amplifiers can be driven directly from the SB2 or 3. There is an internal volume control that will handle lowering volume just fine. If your amp and speaker combination does require more than 1.1 Vrms to reach full volume for your system, you can look at using a step up transformer, similar to what is used to raise the voltage of moving coil cartridges in a phono system.

Thanks Wayne,

I'm using an Accuphase 65v cd player (w/built-in volume control) with an output of 2.5 volts run directily into a pair of Channel Island D200's with the 26 db gain.   This is just about right for volume. So do you think having the gain of the D200's changed to 32 db would do the trick? Also are there any more SB 2's available?

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2006, 07:37 pm »
I do not know of any SB2s around anywhere.

There was a MAC online retailer who had some about a month ago, but I believe they are all gone.

Your best bet would be to look at E-bay now and then to see if a used one comes up.

A customer of my from Portugal recently found a SB2 in very good shape on E-Bay.

I beleive he paid around $260.00 for it.

If you have some time, I may be able to break free next week and bring a SB2 and power supply over to your place for an audition.

I would like to hear your system with the D200s and the Excelarrays.

gme109

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2006, 11:50 pm »
I do not know of any SB2s around anywhere.

There was a MAC online retailer who had some about a month ago, but I believe they are all gone.

Your best bet would be to look at E-bay now and then to see if a used one comes up.

A customer of my from Portugal recently found a SB2 in very good shape on E-Bay.

I beleive he paid around $260.00 for it.

If you have some time, I may be able to break free next week and bring a SB2 and power supply over to your place for an audition.

I would like to hear your system with the D200s and the Excelarrays.

Sounds like a plan. I'll give you a call when I know my schedule. Is there a day that works better for you? One thing I forgot to metion, my D200's only have XLR inputs. This could be a problem, I haven't seen any SB's with balanced outputs.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2006, 03:00 am by gme109 »

DSK

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2006, 03:44 am »
From what I can gather the best possible sound from the SB would be: Computer hard drive > SB > analog out using internal SB dac & going directly into amp. Is that correct? If so what mods are necessary for getting the best sound? Also I'm using a Mac, will this work with the SB, and can I use iTunes, or is there a better way of ripping with the Mac, if in fact a Mac can be used?

Thanks

FWIW, when I first received my Bolder modded SB2 (analog & digital mods) and Deluxe PS I hooked it up direct to my amp (only needs 0.6v input for full output). It sounded great, in fact so much better than my Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player that I left things this way for several months. I don't miss SACD at all. Eventually, I put my modded AKSA GK-1 tube hybrid pre-amp back in and things improved further .... greater dynamics, more body, quieter. Also an occasional static type noise disappeared with the pre-amp in the middle.

Eventually, I'll get around to having Wayne add the Sonicap Platinum/Gen2 bypass caps and BG's in the internal power supplies, plus the Jensens in the external PS & upgraded umbilical cord. But, things are sounding so good right now that I don't want to pull the SB2 & PS out of the system to ship back to the US.