Tweeters

Kw6

Tweeters
« on: 20 Jun 2022, 04:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

If between two tweeters: Beryllium or Ring Radiator.

Which is technically superior to use in a speaker.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2022, 07:11 pm »
There are many ways to design a good tweeter and many ways to design a poor tweeter.
Beryllium or Ring Radiator designs fall in both camps.

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:55 am »
Ok thanks! 🙂

yoganic

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2022, 06:01 am »
From my humble experience it depends on the engineering of the speaker if it does sound good and not on the material of the tweeter.
My big JBLs have titan drivers and they are simply great. On the other hand my BRAUN LS65 have silk dome tweeters and are amongst the best bookshelf speakers I ever heard.
Beryllium was in my JM Labs (Focal) but the did not better than my JBL or the Brauns, so I sold them...
So always judge the whole speaker and not only the specs.

psycho1122

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2022, 02:45 pm »
Take a look at this tweeter. Especially if you have a highly efficient speaker like a JBL...

https://www.scan-speak.dk/product/d2604-833000/

https://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2604-833000.pdf

Cheers!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2022, 03:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

If between two tweeters: Beryllium or Ring Radiator.

Which is technically superior to use in a speaker.
Better in what sense?
Dispersion, power handling, flat impedance, price.
Sound quality is a personal assessment.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2022, 04:23 pm »
...it depends on the engineering of the speaker if it does sound good and not on the material of the tweeter.

Given that every loudspeaker designer has to make a choice on the compromises he will make in his loudspeaker (althou in many minds is approached from the other direction, what the designer does not want to compromise).

Any tweeter is a compromise, very often made. Tyically they put an XO right where it is easiest to detect.

One of my choices as a designer is that i much prefer “tweeters” that can be XOed at least as low as 1,000 Hz. But usually i prefer an octabe lower than that.

Neither of your tweeter choices would safisfy the design compromises i am willing to make.

A loudspeaker has to be considered as a whole, and not divorced from the amplifier that drives it (and teh cable that connects them).

dave

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2022, 07:08 pm »
All other factors ignored, beryllium will flex less than silk diaphragm, making less distortion, and pushing breakup frequency >20k.
So technically beryllium is superior.

However, beryllium tweeter + polyethylene midrange would be an unfortunate pairing.

And of course, it's not easy to ignore all the other factors in the real world.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:17 pm »
Given that every loudspeaker designer has to make a choice on the compromises he will make in his loudspeaker (althou in many minds is approached from the other direction, what the designer does not want to compromise).

Any tweeter is a compromise, very often made. Tyically they put an XO right where it is easiest to detect.

One of my choices as a designer is that i much prefer “tweeters” that can be XOed at least as low as 1,000 Hz. But usually i prefer an octabe lower than that.

Neither of your tweeter choices would safisfy the design compromises i am willing to make.

A loudspeaker has to be considered as a whole, and not divorced from the amplifier that drives it (and teh cable that connects them).

dave

What are some tweeters that you like and that can be crossed that low?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:20 pm »
Fostex FF85wk, Mark Audio Alpair 5.2/3, 7.3, Pluvia 7HD.

dave

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2022, 08:23 pm »
Thank you Dave.  I’ll keep those in mind if/when I get the urge to diy something.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2022, 10:03 pm »
Be aware that that Fostex is a 3" paper cone full range and will have the typical intrinsic issues when used as a tweeter.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2022, 11:11 pm »
I thought the same when i modified my first pair… but it had better top than the $100+ tweeters on hand. Do not dismiss how well the 19mm dustcap works as a HF radiator.

Do not dismiss what they can do.

The Mark Audios mentioned are all Al alloy, the A6.2m and A7ms are also good.

There is a plethora of new modern small fullranges that make excellent midTweeters. You can choose your poison.

2 significant advantages directly from the low XO, it is possible to achieve quarter wavelength spacing to eliminate lobing, and the XO is placed where many of the other evils go away.

Curt Cambell for instance choose Alpair 10p, which has a smooth and somewhat vintage top end (i sort of imagine the big tweeter in the Dyna A25).

dave