Re: Question about a vinyl setup
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2021, 12:54 am »
Only have one line input

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2021, 02:33 am »
Any line level input that is not labeled phono.

I bought a Knight (?) 12-watt mono amp kit in the early-mid 60s. Had two 6V6s. When I got my first electric guitar in I think '67 or '68 I kludged together a 1/4" to RCA cable and ran the guitar through the phono input. My first experience with truly maxxed out distortion. Think Beatle' "Revolution" on steroids. I thought I was really hot stuff. Took Clapton/Cream "Crossroads" up a few notches.

Would still be a pretty decent guitar amp today going through the line inputs.

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2021, 04:57 am »
Only have one line input

What is it?

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2021, 10:54 am »
For a normal electric guitar (no built in preamp) you need a separate gain stage, like a phono preamp but without the  RIAA equalization.  This stage is built into the preamp of a guitar amp and is the reason you "can't" use your stereo amp with your guitar.

Dan

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2021, 03:01 pm »
For a normal electric guitar (no built in preamp) you need a separate gain stage, like a phono preamp but without the  RIAA equalization.  This stage is built into the preamp of a guitar amp and is the reason you "can't" use your stereo amp with your guitar.

Dan

You definitely won't get a clean sound, but the RIAA eq sure made me think I was Jimi Hendrix with his 'Fuzz Face' cranked to the max. These days I like a mostly clean sound with a couple of 6V6s that I can tweak the mids on and push it just a little bit into some mild distortion.

Quite a different topic than hifi and phono preamps though!

floresjc

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2022, 07:49 pm »
I guess I should have updated the group about my selection. I did purchase one of Frank's stand alone phono preamps and its fantastic. Currently hooked up to my Ultra EC and Fet Valve 550.