Dolby IMAX -EMAX Experience: Dr. Strange

VinceT

Dolby IMAX -EMAX Experience: Dr. Strange
« on: 10 May 2022, 08:46 pm »
I went to the movies this afternoon, saw the new Dr. Strange at my first Dolby IMAX movie experience since the Covid. The product is called Emax, essentially a supped up version if Imax

What’S The Difference Between Emax And Standard?
In regular film format, 35 mm or 70 mm films are shown. In contrast, IMAX is a film format of 15-65 mm. It’s because each frame is 70mm high and has 15 perforations that is why the film contains about 10 times as much material, which means there is very good clarity to its visuals.

https://forum-theatre.com/what-is-emax-theatre/

94 feet of 4K lazer projected; 64 channels of Dolby's immersive sound codex. The screen is the size of a regulation basketball court.

It was really cool, the screen was almost too big and took a while to be able to take it all in; once adjusted I will never go back.

The new Dolby immersive sound had more spatial information and things moving around the theater (more like my home theater) then I am use to hearing at a movie. I counted at 100 visible speakers not including what is behind the screen. There were 3 rows along the walls, two rows on the ceiling and two rows on the back wall. The theater was HUGE, they combined two normal size theater rooms to make this room. The only compliant is the highs were SCREAMING from the wave guided compression drivers. If they were not horns, they sure sounded like they were. Some EQ and it would sound wonderful. I think I may write them an email ...lol

I ran across some large JBL horns in a open side room, I wonder if this is what they were using. Because it was LOUD. They were playing the trailer for the new Top Gun before the movie and the sound was so loud and harsh it was taking my face off!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Dolby IMAX -EMAX Experience: Dr. Strange
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2022, 09:21 pm »
I was there just before you.  They made me take 2 of the horns as a parting gift :thumb:

Last fall I noticed a new building in Vegas going up , a new Madison Square Garden.  About 200,000 drivers for speakers.  Each seat will be wired also.  Screen 400 x better then your house.  Probably the only reason I will have to visit the strip.  https://www.msgsphere.com/#about

Alan