BePure 2's positive response from the Capital Audiofest 2021

jsalk

When Purifi introduced their new woofer designs, they generated a lot of discussion on audio sites and forums. 
They caught on for one main reason: they are among the lowest distortion woofers available.  They are also long-throw woofers that can move a lot of air without exceeding their XMAX.  So you can assume the BePure 2 design has extremely low levels of distortion, even at higher volumes.

Couple a pair these Purifi woofers with a phenomenal Satori beryllium tweeter, and you have some truly special speakers.  In fact, Purifi posted pictures and a link to The Absolute Sound's Capital Audiofest report on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/purifiaudio/posts/368372751729509

At the bottom of the following page, Greg Weaver of Enjoythemusic.com talks about the BePure 2’s…

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Capital_Audiofest_2021/weaver/page3.htm

Here is what Andrew Quint, top reviewer for The Absolute Sound, had to say about the BePure 2’s…

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/capital-audio-fest-2021-andrew-quint

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see that he called the BePure 2's the "Best New Product" at the recent Capital Audiofest (and there were a lot of new products at the show).

Looks like we'll be building quite a few pairs of these over the next few years!

- Jim

TomS

Re: BePure 2's positive response from the Capital Audiofest 2021
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2021, 09:08 pm »
Congrats Jim, think it's going to be a big hit!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2021, 12:36 am »
Let me know when the BePure 3 is ready.

KLH007

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2021, 12:39 am »
Jim and Mary, I told you at CAF that BePure is going to be a winner, I loved your system, congratulations on being an early adopter of those Purifi drivers because they really delivered.
Kemper

tofuman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2021, 09:52 pm »
I really need to hear these!

redskinsfan

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2021, 02:10 am »
Jim, can we expect to see the BePure line augmented at some point in the future with center and surround options for home theater applications?   :popcorn:

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2021, 04:53 pm »
Jim, can we expect to see the BePure line augmented at some point in the future with center and surround options for home theater applications?   :popcorn:

While there may be additional BePure designs, surround options and perhaps even center channel options are limited.  The Purifi drivers require a significant cabinet volume and a very large and long port.  There have been several attempts made by others to produce a monitor speaker...all without much success.  That is not to say we won't try, but this phenomenal woofer, while superior to most other woofers, is not easy to work with.

As of right now, we have several center channels and surrounds that would work quite well with this design.

- Jim

robink

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2021, 07:16 pm »
While there may be additional BePure designs, surround options and perhaps even center channel options are limited.  The Purifi drivers require a significant cabinet volume and a very large and long port.  There have been several attempts made by others to produce a monitor speaker...all without much success.  That is not to say we won't try, but this phenomenal woofer, while superior to most other woofers, is not easy to work with.

As of right now, we have several center channels and surrounds that would work quite well with this design.

- Jim

I am sure you already considered this, but what about using passive radiator in a 2-way? Doesn't that solve the need for large cabinets?

Rshorb

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2021, 01:24 am »
I am sure you already considered this, but what about using passive radiator in a 2-way? Doesn't that solve the need for large cabinets?

From what I've read they reach the X-Max of the radiators before the limits of the woofer are close to being reached.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:31 pm »
The factory passive radiator, although capable of very long excursions, is for some reason tuned too low to work in a monitor-sized cabinet.  That's even before any weight is added.  And as Jim pointed out, you need a longer port than is practical in a monitor. SB Acoustics has an oval passive radiator that will work, but it's X-max limited. Plus, you really need two of them, which probably means mounting them on the sides for a weird look.  Purifi makes a 4.5" midwoofer that might make for a super mini speaker, but it's not usable in a passive design due to extremely low sensitivity. 

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2021, 04:08 pm »

Passive radiators have little impact on the size of the cabinet. You need a specific internal volume for a specific woofer.  Passive radiators are just another way of tuning the cabinet.  They take the place of ports in a design.

The problem many have run into trying to use passives with the Purifi woofers is that passives, too, have an XMAX. 

It would take two passives about 10" each to insure that they do not bottom out during loud passages.

- Jim

NEXTLEVEL5

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2022, 12:45 am »
Would utilizing their 4 inch woofer make it easier to work with or more difficult considering the different size? Sorry for asking but I might be in the market for a bepure center channel :)

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2022, 03:53 pm »
Would utilizing their 4 inch woofer make it easier to work with or more difficult considering the different size? Sorry for asking but I might be in the market for a bepure center channel :)

I haven't looked at the 4" driver yet.  The problem is, it wouldn't play all that deep and it's excursion would be somewhat limited.  But if you crossed to a sub at 80Hz, it may be a workable concept for a center channel.  I can look into it if you'd like.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2022, 02:53 pm »
I modeled the 4.5" Purifi woofers and it appears they may be workable in terms of a center channel.  The bass extension was greater than anticipated with an F3 of 36Hz.  Power handling was not bad at 103db max.  It would be nice if this were slightly higher, but this is workable.  The only challenge is to design the cabinet to incorporate the needed 22" long port.  So this is likely doable.

- Jim

NEXTLEVEL5

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2022, 01:17 am »
Excellent news. We will be in touch.

RJMELKON

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2022, 02:43 pm »
I am also very interested in a center channel using the purifi.

ratso

« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2022, 11:43 am »
I contacted purifi about this, not sure if it is helpful at all?

As Jim also talks about, our 4in would be a good option for example two PTT4.0X08 in parallel in a WTW configuration. Instead of the long port, two 6.5in PR could be used on the back of the cabinet. The 4in will bottom out before the passives so no issue with Xmax on the passives.

f3     41.2 Hz
f6     36.7 Hz
f10    33.2 Hz

Med venlig hilsen // Best regards
Morten Halvorsen

redskinsfan

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2022, 12:27 am »
''As of right now, we have several center channels and surrounds that would work quite well with this design.''--Jim

Jim, would these include the SS9C and the SS6M (for surrounds)?

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2022, 01:54 pm »
''As of right now, we have several center channels and surrounds that would work quite well with this design.''--Jim

Jim, would these include the SS9C and the SS6M (for surrounds)?

Yes, those would work fine.  The SS6M's may be a bit larger than some would like for a surround speaker, but they would  certainly work well in that application. 

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 26 Sep 2022, 07:40 pm »
Modeled a Monitor using a single 6.5" Purifi and a Satori Be tweeter.  Looks good with a single side-firing passive radiator.

Also just modeled a center channel using a pair of 4.5" Purifi woofers and a Be Tweeter.  Looks like it would be 8" high, 22" wide and 10" deep at about 86db sensitivity.  So that looks doable as well.

Haven't had any time to build test cabinets yet, but if anyone is interested in ordering either of these, I can set some time aside.

- Jim