Mod Potential?

nature boy

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2020, 06:30 pm »
Dan,

I don't have any direct listening of the stock unit. However, Steve Deckert of Decware has really raved about this unit. I trust Steve's ears as he's built most of my tube equipment. Here's a link to his thread on the CXN V2 which includes his listening observations and strong recommendation:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1587527488

This should give folks some insights into what looks like a great, modest cost digital product. With your mods Dan, this could be exceptional.

NB
« Last Edit: 8 May 2020, 08:10 pm by nature boy »

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 6 May 2020, 06:46 pm »
I have followed Steve for years and if he is impressed, that is good enough for me! I think this is a go!

Thanks!

Dan

spacedghost

« Reply #22 on: 6 May 2020, 06:53 pm »
I have the Cambridge in my second system and really like the unit.
 I currently have it feeding a Preachtree Nova 300 and have used it as a Roon endpoint via my NAS.  I haven’t played around with it too much, but I have used the analog out and digital to the Emotiva Erc-4.  I think I prefer the ERC DAC, but as I’ve said that is with limited tweaking, and critical listening.

If you do this mod, count me as interested.

Shaun

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 6 May 2020, 11:13 pm »
Thanks!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 6 May 2020, 11:22 pm »
I have a unit on the way from a customer as the first article!

I will share all progress and results here!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2020, 05:27 pm »
I have this unit IN THE HOUSE! I have looked inside and confirmed that it has the real estate I need to do what I want to do. I am currently listening to it stock, letting it burn in and getting a feel for its abilities.

Color me impressed! This is a solid unit! It is the 'Digital Swiss Army Knife' that I always considered the Slim Devices Transporter, but of course with much more modern tech!

Stay tuned....!

Dan

CometCKO

« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2020, 06:00 pm »
Hi Dan,
I am also very interested in this mod.  I'm still running the Transporter I bought from you back in January of 2008.  Roon did a nice job of supporting the Logitech/Slimserver gear by extending their software to treat all the LMS devices as Roon end points.  So my Transporter continues to get daily use.  It's only failure was the death of its bespoke Wifi card, so I can only run it via Ethernet cable.  I've heard some units have had power supply issues, and one of your people told me that you still have some power supply parts available.  So I don't NEED another digital streamer.  But the Cambridge unit looks like it has all the right features, if the sound quality is there.  And if you do your magic, I'm certain it will be!.

By the way, I now have a month and over 80 LP's under my belt with the MWI 9.0 tube phono stage.  It has met and exceeded my expectations.  I never think about it... I just have great music!  It doesn't call attention to itself, but everything I care about in music -- mostly the emotional connection -- it there in exactly the right balance.  Great job!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2020, 06:11 pm »
Hi Dan. I have some customers that have tbis piece and like it very much. I still haven't made the jump to streaming but doing it this year. I may also be interested in one of the ModWright versions. I will be following your progress on this.

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2020, 10:53 pm »
Hi CometCKO, I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying our PH 9.0!

The Cambridge CXN is a great piece! I have had some time with it stock now and am very impressed!

I have already started looking at the new power supply to replace the switching supplies to the audio circuits. I believe it will be a similar topology as that which we us in a different mod (not Oppo), using transformer input coupling and a tube analog stage with dedicated supply. We will also provide a dedicated supply to the DACs and digital audio circuits.

Retail price for the mods is expected to come in at or about $1500. Power supply will be inboard, so no umbilical or external supply. This allow us to make the mod $1K cheaper than our Oppo mods and offer a more streamline design!

Bill Baker, this is a great unit and a logical place to make the jump!

Thanks,

Dan

HT cOz

« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2020, 01:55 pm »
Is the plan for SS rectification of the power supply?  Or is there room for tube rectification?  This thread has me tempted to give up my Transporter. :o

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2020, 04:21 pm »
Good point! I will have to look at this! I agree that tube rectification is desirable....and it JUST looks so cool! ;)

RonP

« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2020, 01:45 pm »
Dumb question: Not being familiar with your mods, is it a DIY kit or would be be buying the mod'd/completed unit from you?

modwright

« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2020, 04:51 pm »
I do not typically offer our mods as a kit.

The reason for this is because we have to machine the enclosure to mount the transformers and PCBs as well as the cover to allow the tubes to be exposed and vent heat.

Also, the interface of our circuits with stock involves removal of surface mount parts and a mistake by the DIYer would render the unit inoperable.

I have decided that the mod will include two new transformers, one for analog one for digital, to replace power from the switching supply to the audio circuitry. Depending on the current draw from the SMPS, I will not likely replace it outright, but rather let the switcher still power the processors, etc. All audio circuitry will be powered from our own linear supply however.

I have a plan for the output stage, tubed, transformer coupled. I am finalizing this still because I want to keep the XLR and RCA outputs. Lundahl transformers are expensive and the use of four of them like we did in the Oppo mods will increase the price.

Thanks,

Dan

RonP

« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2020, 12:54 pm »
I do not typically offer our mods as a kit.

This is the "correct" answer and what I was looking for. :green: Thanks! I just want to plug it in an enjoy it.

modwright

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2020, 05:18 pm »
Absolutely! Plug and play! That is the plan!

Thanks,

Dan

HT cOz

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jun 2020, 09:29 pm »
I ordered a unit to try out.  Definitely following your work with interest.

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jun 2020, 09:49 pm »
It is fantastic! I am looking for the right output transformers now to allow RCA and XLR outputs. Power supply design complete and tube schematic largely complete.

Next step is to layout the PCB.

Thanks,

Dan

HT cOz

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2020, 05:44 pm »
It is fantastic! I am looking for the right output transformers now to allow RCA and XLR outputs. Power supply design complete and tube schematic largely complete.

Next step is to layout the PCB.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan any idea of the tube sets that will be used?  Maybe the same as the Transporter  8). Will your output section replace the op amps in the stock model?  Will the Original power supply stay or the entire into is replaced.  I’m too excited to find out more  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:32 pm »
Tube type will be 6922. Possibly also allow 6N1P. The Transporter used 6CG7 and later 6SN7, but I have a better and different tube circuit in mind that requires a tube like the 6922 to work.

We will replace the op-amps.

The stock supply will remain for powering the computer portions of the unit only. All audio circuitry power will be our own internal supply.

Thanks! I am excited too!

Dan

HT cOz

« Reply #39 on: 11 Jun 2020, 01:38 pm »
New unit hanging out with the old guys.

I’m looking forward to kicking the tires.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2020, 02:46 am by HT cOz »