What LPs have you listened to recently?

jimdgoulding

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7580 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:22 pm »
Neo-  That's a very fine album and a first for the soprano sax as a modern jazz instrument, I believe.  Another following that release and on Coltrane's new label at the time, Impulse, is "Live at The Village Vanguard".  DO check out the track, "Spiritual". 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7581 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:14 am »
Neo-  That's a very fine album and a first for the soprano sax as a modern jazz instrument, I believe.  Another following that release and on Coltrane's new label at the time, Impulse, is "Live at The Village Vanguard".  DO check out the track, "Spiritual". 

Hi Jimbo,
I trust everything worked out with the house or moving.  That older post was upsetting.
I know I thanked you for the recordings, but I just want to mention your devotion to the music.  It's fitting I see your post about St. John Coltrane on a Sunday, when many take a few moments for spirituality. 

I was going to see your Vanguard with Birdland, and raise your bet with Soultrane, just to be silly.  Heard this?

I was at that concert in the fall of '66 and had the privilege of seeing Trane live, but I recommend for those reading this and less familiar, you might want to start out with earlier stuff on tenor.   Thought you might be interested in this:

Cousin Mary's house

Peace,

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2016, 12:13 pm by neobop »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7582 on: 6 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm »
Neo-  Hey there.  I've listened to it at a friends back in the day.  Prestige label, right?  I have "Birdland", yes indeedy.  First bought it in my twenties.  If memory serves, doesn't it have "Afro Blue" on it?  Geez, that one flies to the stars!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7583 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:14 am »
Jim,
Not sure which album you're referring to.  Offering was released last year or three after sitting on a shelf for nearly 40 50 years at Temple radio.  I was young and expecting to hear straight up Trane, and it was anything but.  This concert was 9 months before he died of liver cancer, and it was obvious (to me)  he was extremely sick.  Despite what it might say in the liner notes, he sat out most of the concert.  Pharaoh's sound was almost like latter day Trane, and on the surface you could barely tell them apart.  He did a good job filling in.  Then there was a secession of horn players trying to play appropriately, I guess, and I was getting fed up.  I'll never forget some little white boy jumping around on stage squeakin his horn and trying to play. I literally laughed out loud. 

I was pretty sure Trane would  come back out, so I stayed, and sure enough.  You have to let go and not listen to hear it, Trane could talk through his horn in words you could hear and understand.  He did it all the time, not just happy birthday on Prestige or A Love Supreme.  Can you dig it?
Believe me, Trane was praying that night, the pain and plea were intense, brought tears to my eyes..  For some reason I turned around saw something in the air like flecks of gold - vague, not like shapes you can say are angels, but who knows maybe some cloaked aliens came to hear him play.  At that point nothing would have surprised me.  What I really remember most is his prayer, his statement of the human condition and beseechment of God.  It was miraculous.  His flame was going out and he knew it.  This is a true and honest statement.  I'm a witness.  If anyone was ever a Saint, John W Coltrane is among them.

http://www.amazon.com/Offering-Live-At-Temple-University/dp/B00JDB4MVK/ref=sr_1_18_twi_lp__2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1457309362&sr=1-18&keywords=john+coltrane

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2016, 11:41 am by neobop »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7584 on: 9 Mar 2016, 07:55 pm »
Neo-  I, too, had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Coltrane's quartet at The Jazz Workshop in San Francisco around 10 times, I imagine.  Once, I was seated right in front of him and without very much effort could have reached out and touched the bell of his horn.  Which I wouldn't do, of course.  "Live at The Village Vanguard" will be in rotation tonite.  Remember the track "Spiritual"??  Just note perfect beautiful. 

My best friend's older sister had a record collection that included some West Coast players that I liked a lot when in high school.  My first roommate upon getting assigned to duty in the USAF was a black cat named LC Banks from Cleveland.  LC took a shine to my eagerness over his record collection and mentored me thru the whole thing.  I was an eager student.  Remember loving Horace Silver's "Six Pieces of Silver" . . "Senor Blues" in particular.  I could sit and listen for long periods of time.  I was mesmerized.  First intro to Trane was "My Favorite Things" (Atlantic).  His Impulse catalog after that.  Happy listening to you, jazz bro.

maty

« Reply #7585 on: 9 Mar 2016, 08:01 pm »

bside123

« Reply #7586 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:56 pm »

Roberta Flack "Quiet Fire" 1971 Atlantic Records LP

bside123

« Reply #7587 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:59 pm »

Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark" 1974 Asylum Records LP

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7588 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:41 pm »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7589 on: 12 Mar 2016, 01:47 am »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7590 on: 12 Mar 2016, 01:48 am »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7591 on: 12 Mar 2016, 11:35 am »

Check this lineup  ^^^

PierreB

« Reply #7592 on: 12 Mar 2016, 02:00 pm »
Wax Tailor : Hope and Sorrow

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7593 on: 14 Mar 2016, 09:27 pm »

I put this album up before.  I saw this tour with my ex wife.  She was crazy for Madonna and I came to appreciate how great she is.  She put on one dynamite show.  I don't think we had binoculars either.  This was indoor.  If it was in a stadium I might have had a pair - Murphy's law.   Then I saw Lady GaGa on cable and most of it was new Madonna. I think she chose wisely. 

Then I see an article from the Melbourne Kangaroo about how she tripped a couple of times and was asking who's going to take care of me?  She gave Sir Guy de Guy $70M and a mansion and now he wants to break he heart entirely and crush her into little pieces.  The Brits say we're cowboys and brutes? 

Wonder why real dudes hated the Beatles at first?  Come over here with their feeb teeny bopper crap and get on Ed Sullivan.  Like Dire Straits is singin MTV in pre history.  This is mid '60s I was a kid and could tell they had nothin but some Europe success.  Tells you how much they rock.  It wasn't until Revolver came out they were nailin it - around the same time as Fresh Cream.  In conclusion, the Brits couldn't cut it till until around '68.  then they sent over their squadrons of  hippy wannabees.  Let me tell you.  You think the accent  is cool?  I already go commondo. (US commercial)

In conclusion Madonna why don't you come on home honey after the Brits finish rakin you over the coals?  I have complete confidence you'll have no trouble findin someone to rub your back, get you back in shape and all that good stuff.  I know why you call yourself Madonna.  We can talk about it if you like, at your convenience. 
Your friend,
SuperFrank  PM neobop @ Audio Circle

Robert212

« Reply #7594 on: 19 Mar 2016, 01:17 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7595 on: 27 Mar 2016, 08:38 pm »
Happy Easter everyone!

gene9p

« Reply #7597 on: 31 Mar 2016, 02:09 pm »
Dave Mason ..ALONE TOGETHER ...REMASTERED

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7598 on: 31 Mar 2016, 02:28 pm »

Jade Warrior:  Floating World      Island,  '74

Waves       Island, '75

Kites       Island,  '76
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2016, 02:20 pm by ArthurDent »

cheech

« Reply #7599 on: 2 Apr 2016, 05:08 pm »
Steve Ray Vaughn Life Without You; Climax Bluse Band FM Live