What LPs have you listened to recently?

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #4300 on: 8 Feb 2012, 07:25 pm »

After The Chameleons split up in the summer of '87, Mark Burgess and drummer John Lever joined with a pair of guitarists to form a new quartet, The Sun and the Moon, which debuted in mid-'88 with an eponymous album that sounds a lot like The Chameleons. Burgess evinces even more imploring emotionality than in the past, and it's a very solid LP

Jlappy

« Reply #4301 on: 8 Feb 2012, 07:35 pm »
That takes it back in the day for me. I saw them at Felt Forum when that record came out...Johnny said "here's one my brother wrote" before breaking into "Frankenstein". During which Edgar played Keyboard, drums and sax. Was also impressed by Floyd Radford on guitar.

Trover,  :green:  Wow . . . sounds like an incredible experience  :)   

Jlappy

« Reply #4302 on: 8 Feb 2012, 08:14 pm »

Traffic – Welcome To The Canteen   United Artists Records    UAS-5550    US    1971  :thumb:

from a discogs note "Welcome to the Canteen proved how good a contractual obligation album could be (one last album was necessary to satisfy the terms of British label Island records' licensing deal with American label United Artists)" 

A great mixture of live tunes  :)

Jlappy

« Reply #4303 on: 8 Feb 2012, 08:47 pm »

The United States Of America – The United States Of America   Columbia    CS 9614/XSM 135628    US  1990s/2000s Reissue of the 1968 release  :thumb:

Toni Rambold

« Reply #4304 on: 8 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm »
Roy Eldridge 4 - Montreux '77
Pablo/OJC OJC-373

Herb Geller: Birdland Stomp
Enja 5019

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2022, 04:28 pm by Toni Rambold »

Kinger

« Reply #4305 on: 9 Feb 2012, 02:52 am »
Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live

orthobiz

« Reply #4306 on: 9 Feb 2012, 03:06 am »
Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live

Is this record as amazing as people say it is?

Paul

Kinger

« Reply #4307 on: 9 Feb 2012, 03:26 am »
Unfortunately, I only got through the first LP before my 6 year old woke up with a stomach virus :(. With that said, it sounds FANTASTIC and that's coming from a guy who also owns the CD.

Jlappy

« Reply #4308 on: 9 Feb 2012, 03:45 am »
This one really blew the lid off the peace and love movement!!!

Black Sabbath
Samples

decal,

I've been pondering your statement about this lp blowing "the lid off the peace and love movement!"  I would not disagree and I was thinking about other lps that had a similar impact.  Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath was released 13 Feb 1970.  Four months later in June Uriah Heep's Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble... was released in the UK and later the US version

Uriah Heep – Uriah Heep Mercury    SR-61294    US    1970

an excellent lp also  :thumb:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4309 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:13 am »
This one really blew the lid off the peace and love movement!!!

Black Sabbath
Samples

Black Sabbath was the band that blew my mind and changed the type of music I was listening to at the time. The Beatles were put on the back burner and Sabbath was most definately IN I was about 14 or 15 when I heard my 1st Sabbath LP boy was my mother sad she HATED Black Sabbath :lol: BS Master of Reality was my very 1st 8 track tape. I stayed up all that night listening to it over and over again and again and remains to this day as my favorite BS album................Bill

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4310 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:45 am »
Black Sabbath was the band that blew my mind and changed the type of music I was listening to at the time. The Beatles were put on the back burner and Sabbath was most definately IN I was about 14 or 15 when I heard my 1st Sabbath LP boy was my mother sad she HATED Black Sabbath :lol: BS Master of Reality was my very 1st 8 track tape. I stayed up all that night listening to it over and over again and again and remains to this day as my favorite BS album................Bill

You should have listened to your mother :lol: :lol:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4311 on: 9 Feb 2012, 04:47 am »
Is this record as amazing as people say it is?

Paul

Yes!

Jlappy

« Reply #4312 on: 9 Feb 2012, 06:08 am »

Savoy Brown – A Step Further    Parrot    PAS 71029    US    1969  :thumb:

Jlappy

« Reply #4313 on: 9 Feb 2012, 02:48 pm »

Beau Dommage – Où Est Passée La Noce? Capitol Records  SKAO  70.037    Canada    1975   :thumb:

Beautiful French Canadian prog/folk from Québec perhaps on level with Premiata Forneria Marconi . . . without Peter Sinfield's influence/lyrical translations  :wink:

Jlappy

« Reply #4314 on: 9 Feb 2012, 03:50 pm »

UFO – Lights Out Chrysalis    CHR 1127    US    1977  :thumb:

a solid hard rock album, this one hadn't spun on the platter in years  :dunno:  :)

Jlappy

« Reply #4315 on: 9 Feb 2012, 05:05 pm »

Traffic – On The Road Island Records    SMAS-9336    US    1973  :thumb:

:scratch: someone else spin this recently too me think....

Jlappy

« Reply #4316 on: 9 Feb 2012, 07:10 pm »

Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules A&M Records    SP-4593    US    1976  :thumb:

discogs order arrived today  :) my first taste of Budgie  :rock:  thanks Mitsuman & DaveyW!

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #4317 on: 9 Feb 2012, 07:31 pm »
Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules A&M Records    SP-4593    US    1976  :thumb:

discogs order arrived today  :) my first taste of Budgie  :rock:  thanks Mitsuman & DaveyW!

This is awesome! If Black Velvet Stallion and Sky High Percentage doesn't get you rockin', I will be very surprised. :beer:

jostber

« Reply #4318 on: 9 Feb 2012, 08:07 pm »
Michael Chapman - Rainmaker

Light In The Attic reissue of 1969 album.

DaveyW

« Reply #4319 on: 9 Feb 2012, 08:10 pm »
Well Done Jim  :thumb:
That particular disc is still languishing in my "Want List" but won't be long  :D

Meanwhile I spotted that Decal had ordered this

Had to put my newly acquired vinyl aside for forty minutes or so and fill the house with some Skynyrd  8)