Dodd Battery powered Preamps

ctviggen

Re: Dodd Battery powered Preamps
« Reply #40 on: 15 Aug 2022, 08:28 pm »
Thanks for that, I really want to use my Dodd and didn't have the charger.  Now to get the batteries and charger....

Anyone know if this preamp would run headphones? 

bodhiboy

Re: Dodd Battery powered Preamps
« Reply #41 on: 17 Aug 2022, 05:24 pm »
Thanks for that, I really want to use my Dodd and didn't have the charger.  Now to get the batteries and charger....

Anyone know if this preamp would run headphones?
Not being a headphone user I can't say other than stating that it doesn't have a headphone jack.

Also, I should have mentioned that two modifications are necessary to use the referenced batteries and charger, 1) the appropriate plug to insert into the preamp's charging port will need to be fitted to the end of the charger leads; I believe it's a 2.1mm plug...one can always splice on the original plug.  I had a a bunch of miscellaneous plugs from a campervan solar installation project, so just found the right one in the leftover parts from that project, and 2) the two fuses in the preamp need to upsized to allow for the higher current of the LiFePO4 charger; I went with 6 Amps...just regular variety, may try fancy some day.

By the way, since this the Dodd Battery Powered Preamp thread, sure can recommend mid-1970s Voskhod 6N23P tubes and VCAP ODAM (1mF) bypassed with with VCAP CuTF (0.01mF).