ACI "inventory" sell off

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
Re: ACI "inventory" sell off
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2022, 02:40 am »
Is cascaded crossover technology a fancy phrase for series crossover?
No.  If I weren't "Restricted" I could post a schematic for a 3-way cascaded crossover.  Since I can't I'll do my best to describe it.

Instead of all of the elements being star wired, here is the scheme:  the midrange circuit input is wired into the circuit after the low-pass elements.  Obviously, computed bandpass components won't work, so the values have to be adjusted to achieve proper summation.  Likewise, the tweeter circuit input is wired to the output of the midrange.  Again, juggle the values to get acceptable overall frequency response.

The obvious advantage is additive attenuation to the midrange driver and tweeter resulting in either: tremendous power handling or much lower possible crossover points and very low distortion.

It is, however, not for the faint of heart because the necessary values are very different from a star wired parallel crossover.  I hope this makes sense.

Doublej

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2022, 12:48 am »
Seems to be a series crossover as indicated in these diagrams but with a midrange and a tweeter cascade?

https://www.tubecad.com/2017/11/blog0403.htm

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2022, 01:24 am »
Seems to be a series crossover as indicated in these diagrams but with a midrange and a tweeter cascade?

https://www.tubecad.com/2017/11/blog0403.htm
Close, but no.  The individual crossover elements are parallel connected after each LC section with no series interconnections:

Woofer - LC section with the MR bandpass input paralleled with the woofer.
MR - CL/LC section output with the Tweeter input in parallel with the MR

I know it sounds (and arguably is) arcane, but this type of crossover results in extremely low IMD.  It IS a pig to optimize component values, but is worth it IME.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2022, 12:38 pm »
Mike, a bit off-topic but in case you're lurking, a belated THANK YOU for the decades of enjoyment that I have gotten out of my Sapphires and Titan. 

These speakers were a perfect match for my conrad-johnson CAV-50 (and for other amps since then for that matter), and will certainly be put back in to service when I get that c-j back up and running.

No reply necessary or expected, just acknowledgement that your speakers not only offered tremendous value, but NEVER got outclassed by any equipment that they ran with in my systems.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2022, 08:41 pm »
Hey Jeff, appreciate your posting this. Put a very large smile on my face  :D