Just ordered A/V-1RS

Bullitt5094

Just ordered A/V-1RS
« on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:18 pm »
Going to try a pair of the A/V-1RS. I already have most of the work done on the enclosures. If I like them, I'll need at least 4 more for my Daughter's family who is constructing a home with a HT. I'm also considering other GR kits for other tasks in the system, but they are a long way from needing them since construction is just starting. So I figured I'd take it a step at a time.

cody69

Re: Just ordered A/V-1RS
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2020, 04:45 pm »
No doubt you'll enjoy these. Be sure to take pics and share with others as you progress.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2020, 05:49 pm »
First, my apologies for not putting in the Build Thread. Didn't notice it up there. Feel free to relocate this admin.

This is likely my most difficult build with all of the angles. But so far, so good.

To accomplish this, I was well supervised.

Since I am not a fan of plastic cups, I'm not using them. So I mounted the crossovers on the back panel. I used ty-wraps to secure them and silicone under them to be sure they don't rattle.

Getting there...

*Not sure why the pictures posted sideways vs what I show on my Phone and LT. I'll figure it out later. Sorry!

Chops

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2020, 05:47 am »
You're going to want to flip one of those inductors vertically to lessen interactions between the two.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:18 pm »
I thought what I had would be enough air separation to prevent a problem. But I'll take your advice.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:56 pm »
I have trouble remembering the "rules of the road" when it comes to inductors This and others like it are handy.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2020, 05:10 pm »
Thanks! But it looks like I'm going to need to locate my wire stretchers to fix this.   :(

chip

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2020, 05:44 pm »
I really enjoyed these in my setup when I had them.

Chops

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2020, 08:18 am »
Thanks! But it looks like I'm going to need to locate my wire stretchers to fix this.   :(

It looks like you should have just enough wiggle room with the leads on that top inductor to just rotate it in the zip-tie to have it stand up. And optimally, it could stand to be about another inch or so away from the other inductor, but that would require un-soldering and resoldering and such. If that's not an option, at least the first option is better than its current state. ;-)

Bullitt5094

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2020, 03:35 pm »
I will test these vs my B&W DS6 surrounds before giving them to my Daughter's family for their HT. Very interested in how they stack up. With surrounds, it may be difficult to evaluate them in the mix of sounds from a movie. But I may do a straight A/B thing with a 2 Channel input just to get a better take on the results.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2020, 06:07 pm »
I will test these vs my B&W DS6 surrounds before giving them to my Daughter's family for their HT. Very interested in how they stack up. With surrounds, it may be difficult to evaluate them in the mix of sounds from a movie. But I may do a straight A/B thing with a 2 Channel input just to get a better take on the results.

Mine are great. The top of the wall cleat is 18" down from the ceiling.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2020, 07:41 pm »
It looks like you should have just enough wiggle room with the leads on that top inductor to just rotate it in the zip-tie to have it stand up. And optimally, it could stand to be about another inch or so away from the other inductor, but that would require un-soldering and resoldering and such. If that's not an option, at least the first option is better than its current state. ;-)
Exactly what I was able to do. Also had some looseness in the wire and spread them apart a bit more. All good. Thanks!

Chops

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2020, 09:57 am »
Exactly what I was able to do. Also had some looseness in the wire and spread them apart a bit more. All good. Thanks!

You're welcome! I'm glad it worked out.  :dance:

Bullitt5094

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2020, 03:34 am »
Finished these little guys up today. Haven't painted them yet (I really hate the finish step! My wife fortunately is good at it.) but gave them some break-in then set them up as mains in my HT supported by my Rythmik sub just to see what they sound like. I'm extremely impressed with how well they sound. Absolutely better than a lot of speakers I've heard that were built to be mains. Certainly will be top performers as surrounds. Again, very pleased and impressed. Now to build another pair for rears. But I really hate all the angles in that box. A necessary evil though and I think I have the knack now. The second set is always easier. Thanks GR.