Help Finding a Turntable @ 220VAC

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2003, 07:45 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
I uderstand--your self is attached to your gear. I don't care for my components except for my Vintage Yamaha A-1 dual mono integrated, though the Forté is really winning my heart...

I don't know of anyone who is MORE defined by his gear than you: for someone who doesn't "care for [his] components,"  you post about the Technics TT  ad nauseum.

Sorry if this post is obnoxious, but I'll say "Have a Nice Weekend" at the end and that'll make up for being a jerk.

Have a Nice Weekend!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2003, 09:24 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
... Well, it's a motor driving a changing load--whether it's belt, direct or rim drive--and the load changes (dynamic passages, weight of different records, warps, tracking weights, eccentricities...). Sensing the electrial load is a big step forward, but it stops at the middle of the road. Sensing voltage applied is not the same as sensing the rotational speed against a quartz clock and then applying voltage. The Technics system applies voltage from both sides of the rotation, a far superior way of doing things. If ewe read the specs, the stock Technics is amost 10 times more accurate than the OL mod.

I uderstand--your self is attached to your gear. I don't care for my components except for my Vintage Yamaha A-1 dual mono integrated, though the Forté is really winning my heart... ...

sure, my self is attached to my turntable.  but it's due to its performance.  no way i could come close to its performance with *any* turntable, for the amount of money i have in mine.   the bearing on my turntable is so much better than the technics' it's not even funny.  as is my o-l tonearm.  and, my turntable, w/its belt drive, has much better isolation of platter from motor.  while i have never done a direct a-b comparo on speed stability, hooking up the strobe on my deck, while it was playing a record has conwinced me that, if the kab-modded technics has better rotational stability, it cannot be by much.  and, i did ths before i got my lab-grade power supply, which made an audible improvement...

francisco, when everyone gave ya shit for liking the technics on audiogon a coupla years back, i was the only one to come to yer defense.  it *is* a great deck at its price-point, imo.  but, now, i tink it's *ewe* that may be a tad emotionally attached to yer technics gear - yer "creature", as ya like to call it...   :wink: i have nick-names for my cars, but not my audio gear!   :mrgreen:

regards,

doug s.

Beezer

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2003, 09:51 pm »
Thanks for the link to that thread.  I had read it a while back, but it was a good refresher with lots aof great information.  Looks like the OL DC motor upgrade needs to be fit into my upgrade plans.

Beez

Psychicanimal

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:11 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
while i have never done a direct a-b comparo on speed stability, hooking up the strobe on my deck, while it was playing a record has conwinced me that, if the kab-modded technics has better rotational stability, it cannot be by much. and, i did ths before i got my lab-grade power supply, which made an audible improvement...

Kevin showed me a 1200 whose speed sensing coil is wired to an oscilloscope.  It shows no drift.  However, my 1200 is at least twice as better sounding than Kevin's after installing my Jena Labs cryo'ed Tice PC3 (plugged to a T4 filter) and using 18 ga vs 24 ga for DC wire.  Ewe can't tell by just looking at a stroboscope. :nono:

I'm not attached to the 1200.  I was going to buy a SP10 a few weeks ago but I'd have to start all over again and I want to have my audio room set up by Jan.  I am attached to my software.  That's what really matters...

Out of curiosity, as I don't really understand these matters--why is a modded Rega 250 better than the Technics tonearm?  I have no idea, but tonearm bearig friction might be a good starting point.  That's one indicator of tonearm responsiveness.  Send me a private e-mail, we're reallly off topic anyway.

Rocket

Turntable choices
« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2003, 02:32 am »
Hi Guys,

There are lot's of great turntables to buy and many times when a person buys one it depends on the deal which is offered.

In my case i've decided to buy off shore (singapore) as the deal which has been offered is quite a bit better than what i can buy in oz.

Last night i went to a friend's house and we listened to his direct drive pioneer.  I have to say it had quite a reasonable sound.  My friend is the person who bought my AR eb101 with shure 97he cartridge and i asked him how they compared.  Another friend indicated he thought the direct drive would be better but the AR owner said it trounced his pioneer.  Damn after seeing my old AR i felt a tinge of sadness why did i sell it  :(.

Francisco,

you seem like a nice guy but you seem to hijack vinyl threads here at AC and all we seem to talk about is your technics 1200.  Can we talk about alternatives?  I'm sure that doug would agree that there are better turntables than his oracle (i've heard they are good) as there are so many alternatives to buy.

regards

rocket

Marbles

« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2003, 03:25 am »
Rocket,

I have a pretty nice analog system, but until I got my Hagtech Cornet phono pre, it just did not live up to my expectations.  Now with the Cornet, it has Exceeded my expectations by a good bit.

My previous phono pre's were all SS.  The Cornet is tube based.

Please pay attention to your phono pre, as with everything else, it can make or break a system.

I won't claim in general that tube based phono pre's are better than SS, but in my specific case it sure seems to be.

Best of luck with your new gear.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2003, 04:10 am »
rocket, are ya *NUTS*?!?  there is *NO* turntable in the *UNIVERSE* that is better than my precious oracle!!!!
:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:
actually, when i was in the market, there were a few on my shortlist, & i nabbed the best deal i could find in a reasonable time-period, on a used deck.  others on my shortlist included sota w/vacuum platter, well-tempered, basis, & michell.  i was wery tempted by a forcell air-reference i saw for $2500,  but it was yust a bit beyond my budget.  and, i understand parts are unobtanium.   if i ever win the lottery, i will likely splurge for a verdier la platine - amazing turntable - mondo platter, which floats, suspended by a gravitational field...

marbles, i agree that a fono-stage is really important, but solid-state stages can kick a**, especially if used w/a tubed line-stage... :wink:   ones i've heard that i like are my present pentagon ps-3, electrocompaniet, & linn.  i base my judgment on the last two, cuz of the fine fono-stages in full-function preamps by those mfr's...  

in fact, i remember calling gordon rankin to ask him about a used wavelength tubed fono-stage i was considering, before i got my pentagon.  he actually discouraged me from getting it, for lo-output mc's - he said the fact is, he himself was now designing a s/s fono-stage, cuz it's so hard to really get the low-level signals right *and* quiet, w/toobs.  and this from gordon rankin - one of the premier tube-worshipper-designers.  (in fact, i believe he ended up coming out w/a tube-s/s hybrid fono-stage.)

doug s.

Rocket

turntable choices
« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2003, 05:07 am »
hi marbles.

my budget was pretty tight for a phonostage.  i have bought a perreaux sxv-1 phonostage and haven't had the chance to run it in yet until the new tt arrives.

hopefully it will sound okay as i agree a phonostage is very important.

regards

rocket

Tonto Yoder

Re: Turntable choices
« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2003, 11:08 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Guys,
There are lots of great turntables to buy and many times when a person buys one it depends on the deal which is offered.
In my case i've decided to buy off shore (singapore) as the deal which has been offered is quite a bit better than what i can buy in oz.

I'd agree that there are lots of great TT's.  In my own situation, local availability was a big factor in choosing my Nottingham table: I was able to actually audition the Nott' line by driving north 2 hours to the former importer. Certainly not a perfect audition since I was totally unfamiliar with the associated gear used and wasn't able to compare directly to other tables, but I felt more comfortable with that than ordering throught the mail.

I realize that actual audition in Oz is difficult if not impossible.

Rocket

Turntable choices
« Reply #29 on: 16 Nov 2003, 12:46 pm »
Hi Tonto,

You probably think i'm crazy for buying sight unscene.

I was really interested in the Nottingham Horizon or Interspace but none were available in perth to demo.  4000klms for the closest audition  :(.

Most of the hifi stores were selling rega or pro-ject tt's.

regards

rocket

Tonto Yoder

Re: Turntable choices
« Reply #30 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:14 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Tonto,

You probably think i'm crazy for buying sight unscene.

"Crazy" isn't the right word---circumstances sometimes force us into less-than-ideal ways of making audio decisions.  My phono preamp and line stage were both ordered used from Upscale Audio; I would have liked to have auditioned and bought locally, but it didn't work out in those instances.

Marbles

« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2003, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
marbles, i agree that a fono-stage is really important, but solid-state stages can kick a**, especially if used w/a tubed line-stage...  ones i've heard that i like are my present pentagon ps-3, electrocompaniet, & linn. i base my judgment on the last two, cuz of the fine fono-stages in full-function preamps by those mfr's... ...

Doug, I agree..it's all how the chef mixes the ingredients....the better the ingredients the better chance a chef has of making a special dish.  There are lots of ways of making a nice tasting dish though.

As long as you use a Technic's 1200 and LOTS and LOTS of power filtration like maybe 1,000,000 lbs worth , and lots and lots of isolation, like put the table on a cloud, then on a mountain of jello, then on a magnetically levitated platform........oh wait that's someone else :wink: