Phono preamp recommendations please!

nature boy

« on: 19 Oct 2003, 01:12 pm »
Greetings vinyl junkies,

I am looking for recommendations on a good phono preamp for under $1K, having decided to opt for a Eastern Electric Minimax linestage preamp over my Audible Illusions M3A.  My turntable is a Nottingham Interspace.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Worst case I can pick up a Hagerman bugle until Eastern Electric puts out its matching phono preamp in early 2004.  Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions.

I noticed that a lot of AC members use Monolithic Sound phono preamps.  

NB

dogberry

« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2003, 02:44 pm »
I have the Modwright modded PS-1 and a stock HC-1.  Great sounding combo!

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2003, 03:02 pm »
Hi Nature Boy,

You've got quite a few to choose from at that budget. I'll be the first to through a name into the ring.

I've got in for review the GSP (Grahm Slee Projects) Jazz Club. The basic circuitry is the same as the 2se except this one handles equalization settings from across time. It is extremely good when coupled with the upgraded PS1. My only beef is that it doesn't have a switch to handle MC cartridges, you have to buy the "Elevator" to boost the signal.

Goeff over at the site reviewed the Slee 1 and 2, the Era Gold with the Elevator, and is currently using a pair of Slee 2's in his Turntable Shootout. He's better than halfway through a bunch of side by side reviews of turntables in the $3-$10K range. Here's the link to the reviews;
EraGold http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/elevator_e.html
TT Shootout http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/sources.html
(scroll down the page and you'll find the TT's)

The last thing, if you are really getting into vinyl, some day you will (probably) want to start collecting and listening to pre-RIAA discs. This is where I'm at (personally). I've got a second table set up to handle 78's and less than perfect discs (Dual 1229 with a Shure V-15) so your Interspace only sees pristine vinyl. May as well start to plan right now.

I haven't written the review yet on the Jazz Club but it's going to be very positive. As memory serves, the 2se is one of those "recommended components" if that really means anything.

Just my $.02, YMMV

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2003, 10:38 pm »
NB,

I've read good things about the Grahm Slee products that Scott mentions but haven't heard one myself. Another option is the Hagerman Cornet. Quite a bit less than 1K and very good sounding. It does require step up transformers if you are using an MC cartridge.

Mike G.

Rocket

phonostage recommendations
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2003, 12:19 am »
hi nb,

i have just gone thru the process of looking at phonostages to buy.

unfortunately for me though hifi is expensive in australia and my $500au budget is a lot less compared to the us rate.

anyway i haven't heard the graham slee products but they are getting very good reviews.

i have bought a perreaux sxv1 for a good price and i am running it in at the moment.  it sounds quite good so far.  

a friend is going to lend me his musical fidelity xlps and i'll let you know which is better after i've compared them both.

is there any chance you could borrow a couple of phonostages to listen to?

btw i'm looking for a new turntable and would like to buy a nottingham unfortunately i don't think the $$$ will stretch that far.

regards

rod

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2003, 12:52 am »
NB,

Rod makes a good point about borrowing some to listen to. I will let you borrow a Musical Fidelity XLPS if you like but I can tell you up front that Wayne's (Bolder Cables) Bugle crushed the MF phono section. :D

Rocket

phonostages
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2003, 01:04 am »
hi mike,

actually i am toying with the idea of buying the half kit bugle version just to play with.  if i like it enough i may buy the power supply as an upgrade.

i mainly bought an off the shelf phonostage as i was too impatient to wait for it to be up and running.

now looking for a new turntable.  in perth most shops are selling rega and pro-ject turntables.  it is really difficult to decide what i want to buy.

have you guys heard a pro-ject perspective or rpm 9 turntable.

the shops don't import cool turntables like nottingham horizon or michell tecnodec which are entry level turntables from these companies.

regards

rocket

JR

• http://www.soundscapehifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2003, 05:45 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.

I've got in for review the GSP (Grahm Slee Projects) Jazz Club. The basic circuitry is the same as the 2se except this one handles equalization settings from across time..

I believe that should be "The basic circuitry is the same as the Era Gold ..."

earlmarc

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2003, 06:25 pm »
Ray Samuel's Emmeline XR-2 phono preamp has gotten rave reviews from customers and professional magazines. In fact, many have said its the best money can buy regardless of price. I think it sells for $1100.00. Enjoythemusic.com and Stereophile reviewed this preamp.

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2003, 02:30 am »
Quote from: JR
Quote from: Scott F.

I've got in for review the GSP (Grahm Slee Projects) Jazz Club. The basic circuitry is the same as the 2se except this one handles equalization settings from across time..

I believe that should be "The basic circuitry is the same as the Era Gold ..."

Ooops, you're right  :oops:

Tonto Yoder

Re: Phono preamp recommendations please!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2003, 01:30 pm »
Quote from: nature boy
Greetings vinyl junkies,

I am looking for recommendations on a good phono preamp .  

NB

Another contender would be the Wright phono that Listener raved about--
http://www.wright-sound.com/products/MoreDetail.asp?Id=2

Availability was somewhat limited after the Listener review, but he may have caught up by now.

DARTH AUDIO

Phono Stage
« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2003, 09:22 pm »
Check out the EAR 834P Phono Stage. The signature has the same circuit as the deluxe. You save $300.00 on cosmetics.. Check out the review in (i think it was August) Stereophile..  I'm getting the MiniMax and the EAR834P.  :D

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2003, 12:29 am »
Thanks folks, er most folks (Romy excluded) for the suggestions on a phono preamp.  My computer has been giving me fits with my browser locking up the past few days, so I have not had an opportunity to reply.

All good suggestions and thanks Marbles for the offer, but I'll have to pass.  

I am thinking about the Hagerman Coronet and Graham Slee products.  I also found out from Larry Weinstein at Hollywood Sound that Dynavector has come out with a new phono preamp.  He will have a couple in a few days.  Turns out my Nottingham Interspace motor may have a problem so its back to Larry for an inspection and possible motor replacement, so I have some time to decide.

Cheers and thanks again for all the great input, with exception to Romy rantings.  Perhaps my friend you should go back to AA from which you came.

NB

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2003, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: Romy the Cat
I haI have no idea why my name associated with a “numerous audio sites”.

neither do all the poor folk who read yer gibberish on 'em.

The only one common denominator between The Cat and the “numerous audio sites” is the fact that you and the similar to you Morons are in presents everywhere and I equally have NO INTEREST in your “intellectualism” nether here nor at any other web sites.
other than the fact that you keep going to these places & doing what should be confined to your litter box.  if it's of "NO INTEREST" to ya, why can't ya stay away?

Regarding the rest, totally ignorant BS, that you have written: sorry, it is too primitive and too boarding.

more likely, it strikes too close to home.

You are capable to deal with the facts/data/thinking ONLY that YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR and if an external information is not what your INTENT TO HEAR you get disoriented and begin to spit foolishness.

again, another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Apparently your awareness is (as many others) a typical hostage of the idiotic junky-Yankee education based on the multiple chooses. I have withdrawn myself in past from Harvard MBA program and from Widener University Law Scholl in order do not let myself to be contaminated by this idiotic disease: why should I humiliate myself by talking with you, the sick person?

again, another example of you knowing nothing about my biz - what schools i went to, what lie schools i quit, etc.  the only way you humiliate yourself is when you talk (write) to *anyone* about *anyting* in an audio forum.  (of course, this is from my limited perspective - whether or not ya humiliate yourself outside of these forums is beyond my ken.)

Good luck, unfortunate,
Romy the Cat

the only time i'm unfortunate is when i stumble across yer detritus in these chat forums...

doug s.

hifitommy

i would get one that has mc and mm capability.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2003, 05:53 pm »
clearaudio has a couple of affordable ones-the basic and micro basic.  i would think that from clearaudio that they will be very good.  

MY quandary is that i have an audio research sp3c but need i high output stepup in order to take advantage of the arc sound.  i have some pretty good mm carts so i can survive.

jcoat007

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2003, 06:09 pm »
I am selling a Gram Amp 2SE here, if you are interested:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1076179994&item

I have a moving coil cart now, and this won't work with it.  MM's only.  

I am using an 834p with my MC cart, and it is a great unit.  I replaced the tubes with some 5751's and it really sings.

theborg

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2003, 10:47 am »
The "missing" posts from the end of this thread can be found in Fight Club.