New product wish-list

analog97

New product wish-list
« on: 28 Oct 2005, 09:41 pm »
After living with the Cornet2 for a while now, I really would like to do the Clarinet next...soon I hope.  Then those Cymbals....they won't drive my Polk SDA 1.2's at only 8 watts.  Does the design engineer have any plans/interest in going for a, say 100 watt tube amplifier?  If this isn't in the works, any recommendations on a potent tube amp?   Thanks.

hagtech

New product wish-list
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2005, 12:43 am »
The design engineer may not ever get to a 100W amp.  He's looking into a 300B or similar triode push/pull, similar in architecture to Cymbal.  Will include ultrasonic heating, fully differential circuits, no feedback.  Not sure if he'll use two or four output tubes per channel.  Power might be 20W to 50W.  With eight 300Bs, don't expect it to be cheap.  Nor will it happen anytime soon.

So if you need that much power, look at the Rosenblitz kit.  If he has one that uses triodes (6AS7G?), go that route.  We don't like any of the power pentode-based feedback amps you now see pouring onto our shores.  

An alternate route is to get an old MacIntosh 225 or whatever.  Clean it up, do some cap upgrades.

jh

Kulamata

New product wish-list
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:03 pm »
I'd like to see a Bugle variant optimized for the highest quality components.  It would include:
*Provision for single op amps, such as the OPA 627's without adapers.
*Spacing for resistors such as the Holcos. (And/or Vishay's bulk metal films.)
*Spacing (and hole sizes) for capacitors such as the Rel Cap RT tin/polystyrene.
*Perhaps allowing greater supply isolation of each stage.

Given the limited appeal of such, perhaps offered just as a kit/2.
Perhaps the Post-Millenial Platinum Signature Extreme Plus Series?

JoshK

New product wish-list
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:26 pm »
I like the idea of a higher power tube amp, although 100w shouldn't be needed.  20-50w would be cool and opens up your audience to more candidates.  I really struggle to think of speakers that would do justice to a mere 10w that I am actually interested in building.  

Just a thought, as I have been reading some on this avenue.  Consider (just consider) using 6C33C-B tubes instead of 300Bs.  Like you said 8 300Bs would not be cheap!  300Bs are expensive tubes.  6C33C-Bs are relatively cheap, are reasonably low voltage and higher current which apparently makes the OPT easier to make for wide bandwidth.  I don't profess to know anymore but I am considering building a SE 6c33c amp (think Lamm ML2) or a PSE version (think BAT).  Your idea for fully differential PP with no feedback would be very cool in this case, imo.

hagtech

New product wish-list
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:32 am »
I'll keep in mind the Bugle Hot Rod.  Mostly, I'm bored silly with opamp circuits.  

Will also look at 6C33.  And VT52, 6AS7G or other power triodes.  I'm putting more emphasis on sonics than price.  Machine could be very costly.  Depends a lot on what tubes are available and if I can get the low output impedance I like.  The 300B has a slight edge here, as it allows me to introduce ultrasonic heating to the commercial side of things.  But this is a "Hagerman Audio Labs" product.  Eventually, I might be able to bring the technology down to the HagTech DIY world with a Cymbal2.

A ways to go yet, still working out the financing for such a project.  

jh :)

analog97

New product wish-list
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2005, 01:16 am »
An analog-digital converter would be really nice.  There seems to be a decent market need for this type of device for making good CD's from vinyl.  I spent decent bucks for one and I'm confident you could better it without a huge time/cost outlay.  Consider it, O analog wizard.

JoshK

New product wish-list
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2005, 05:14 pm »
Had another thought on the slightly higher power amp kits that may allow some customization without having to do a lot more prototyping and investment and instead uses what you already have.  In the cymbal amp, you are using 4 6H30s in the output?  Parallel PP?  

Maybe there is a way to cut the PCB in half so that the phase splitting and drivers are split from the output stage?  Assuming this is even doable, you maybe be able to make other versions of the output stage for a few other tubes, say EL84 and EL34 via triode strapped outputs?  That wouldn't make them high powered but would make them medium powered.  Then you can reuse your phase splitter, input stage and topology and the builder could use a different output option.  I don't know, just a thought.   Oh but then there is the PSU difference....  hmm.

analog97

New product wish-list
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2006, 07:49 pm »
I bet a powerline "conditioner" would be relatively straightforward to design....say something with 6-8 outlets, 15-20 amps, surge/spike protection, etc.  Some of these items on the market are very pricey.  Having one designed by a card-carrying electrical engineer would seem a real bonus to my way of thinking.  I see a strip or box-type, doesn't matter to me.  Of course, I am guessing here that this type device actually makes a difference.  I would never request the design of a product with unproven benefit, e.g. speaker wire....

hagtech

New product wish-list
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2006, 09:27 pm »
I bet a powerline "conditioner" would be relatively straightforward to design

You are correct.  There are complicated versions where power is regenerated, and simpler ones that exploit the quality line filtering components already available.  I did the latter for the "C" series product line.  No circuit board required, so no way to do a half-kit.  You can get some ideas from my published design:

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/conditioner.pdf

Other chassis are easier to use and cheaper.

jh :)