new set of Apollo11 in Baked Maple

Jarbs

Re: new set of Apollo11 in Baked Maple
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2020, 03:47 pm »
Audiotom,

Simply beautiful. Photos don’t capture the full effect either. Mine are walnut, and like you say, they exceeded my expectations all around.

It’s well-known that break-in takes awhile. 100 hrs. gets you to a workable point, 400 hrs. to complete. What electronics will you be running?

Greg

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2020, 06:12 pm »
Audiotom,

Simply beautiful. Photos don’t capture the full effect either. Mine are walnut, and like you say, they exceeded my expectations all around.

It’s well-known that break-in takes awhile. 100 hrs. gets you to a workable point, 400 hrs. to complete. What electronics will you be running?

Greg

THanks Greg

I have parallel systems - both tubes
Doshi
Uesugi (mid 1980s highlly sought after - overbuilt - excellent sounding)

I will be working from home and breaking them in at the same time

Jarbs

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2020, 06:42 pm »
My home office is around the corner from my listening room so I was able to do what you will be doing. There are definitely steps and phases, not continuous change. Generally it’s rough to start, then clarity comes in from the top then down.

Currently I’m trying to find the optimal amplifier. Everything seems to work well, but the challenge is finding one that incorporates the best of all options. So many amplifier options work with the Daedalus line and subtle changes are affecting decision making. For example, adding DiD’s resulted in me going back to the Daedalus speaker cables. Lower mid-range congestion was eliminated.

Basically these speakers reveal everything you wanted to know about your amp’s sound. Maybe it just takes $$$$ to get an even match.

I’d be interested in your findings with your options. (currently I have VAC and a couple LTA amps).

Thanks.

advanced101

« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:16 pm »
Congratulations!

Bones13

« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:41 pm »
They are beautiful, makes me wish I had a big enough room to accommodate those. Exciting.

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #25 on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:59 pm »
I’ll see you on the Dark Side Of The

ROOM

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #26 on: 23 Mar 2020, 11:11 pm »

I will stop now

A_shah

« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2020, 11:57 pm »
Very nice congratulations

Asghar

rbbert

« Reply #28 on: 24 Mar 2020, 10:57 pm »
All I can say is Wow!  You are going to have fun.

Sébastien

« Reply #29 on: 25 Mar 2020, 12:52 pm »
Hello and thank you for these beautiful photos. They have a special attachment for me because I am waiting for my appolo 11 which are in the same wood. Lou finished their manufacture but we have to wait for the end of the Covid 19 pandemic to organize their long trip (I live in France).
I can't wait to read your first listening experiences.
Congratulations on this wonderful choice!
Take care of yourself.

jriggy

« Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2020, 01:35 pm »
Congrats Tom! Those are absolutely beautiful. And you are welcome—was that really 2015 for our transaction and my switch to Argos? Wow, time flies. Lous speakers do so many things right. Truly are an amazing sound. I can only imagine what his newest models/changes are bringing to the table.
When Lou recently teamed up with VAC at the Florida audio show, with the VAC integrated that costs as much as a house —and truly must perform at that higher level— I was not surprised to hear reports that Lou’s creations responded in kind and sounded like never before. So much magic injected into these designs and seemingly no end to what level they can produce.

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2020, 03:50 pm »
Sebastien

Yes - Lou told me he was building your pair - You will be very excited to see these in the flesh and hear their magic.  I was very moved when I listened at Lou’s shop in Ferndale - upstate Washington.

I read your thread that you had decided to go Daedalus on word of mouth
You are in for a treat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You probably won’t understand

I haven’t actually PLAYED a note yet.

They are hooked up and ready
But I want it to be a special time

I am adjusting to working from home. Having to spend a good deal of time during the day prepping for the trivial in the zombie apocalypse  :oops:  so I am having to work some at night.

Hopefully spin some favorite vinyl tonight

Jason - yes I checked - October 2015
I really appreciated you reaching out to me
With the Ulysses / argos move - a perfect win win for both of us

The Ulysses changed the whole scope of my system - high efficiency and nuanced tubes
Music much more engaging and tonally true.

And thank you

LOU!

Words are not sufficient
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2020, 02:42 pm by audiotom »

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2020, 09:34 pm »
Thanks for the appreciation!  These really are something to see in person :thumb: We got lucky,eh?

I'm looking forward to Tom's comments on the A/B with his Ulysses :popcorn:

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #33 on: 9 Apr 2020, 10:19 pm »
HI fellow Daedalites

I am not quite ready to do a full assessment yet because there seem to be a few distractions the last two weeks so I only have 50 hours on the Apollo 11s.   It sounds like the high frequency is the only area that needs a little more break in time.

It’s been a very pleasant journey.

FIrst off - I have almost exclusively been using my cd player to break in the speakers to their full potential. The cd is much inferior to my analog rig. An Oppo BDP 105 which I have been meaning to update with a refined dac.  CDs, SACDs, and DVD A sources.

Let’s just say that the cds have taken on a very nice realism and openess

Piano trios are stunning, acoustic artists, classical music is fully there.
Music with very dynamic high frequencies isn’t quite there but is getting more refined everyday.
(I break equipment in during normal duration listening sessions - not 24/7 )

My Ulysses really took my system to a new level.
My son, and I to a lesser extent play upright bass - so I am very familiar with the tonal qualities and low end response.
Living in New Orleans we bask in all the live music - symphony, jazz club, music hall, etc
One of the most important things for me is tonality and realism.
The Ulysses have always done this so convincingly.

Now on to the Apollo 11’s

The speakers are truly blossoming - incredible realism and seamless cohesiveness between the drivers.

The Ulysses disappeared nicely in the room but the Apollo is a whole new experience.

The best way I could put it is effortless.  The low and mid range have this lilting body to them - unrestrained.

There is depth, warmth, and very captivating presence

St Vincent’s  MassEducation - a stripped down vocal/piano reinvention of her brilliant Masseduction album.
Annie CLark brings in Thomas Bartlett on piano.
The songs are gorgeous, the piano has so much body, space and presence.
The sustained notes and and decay are so real.
Major detail like hearing Thomas creak a little on the bench were eye opening. Microdynamics  were heighten in both Annie’s voice and the piano playing. I’ve heard these details before but never is such an overwhelming way.  I was really taken by this.

My computer workstation is in the corner of my music room. Like the Part Time Audio reviewer who evaluated the Apollos - I would be working away and playing things In the backgrround - when I would turn my head and get engaged.

Steely Dan’s Countdown to Ecstasy - really jumped out and I took notice. I never recalled the music feeling that large and organize c from the cd..  A “you are there”  experience. 

I’ll comment further soon

Time to kick back and listen
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2020, 12:25 pm by audiotom »

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 9 Apr 2020, 10:46 pm »
Good to hear from you Tom! I've been a bit concerned with how hard hit your area is. Stay healthy man. :thumb:

Yes those tweeters will make a big change in smoothness extension and MUCH lower distortion over the next few hundred hours. Yes I said hundred. sorry but most of the components in the system take 200-300 hours and the whole system takes 400-600 hours for complete  break in.  That being said at about 200 hours you are 90+% there. The only exception is the midrange driver which sometimes sounds a bit strident somewhere between 200-300 hours and then settles in to better than ever.

I'm really glad you like them and are hearing just what I hear. Your description "The best way I could put it is effortless.  The low and mid range have this lilting body to them - unrestrained."

Is spot on, these 10" Apollo systems have a special quality, they don't just check the boxes, instead they relax and play into the music.

Please keep us posted and enjoy!
thanks,
Lou

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #35 on: 9 Apr 2020, 11:05 pm »
Lou

Thanks for your comments and covid concerns.
I live on the west side of New Orleans not at ground zero.

The weather  is great here but I’ve been constraining myself to migratory bird watching  in a nearby sanctuary and walks on the lake.

One of your happy Apollo 11 owners here compared notes with me and he was also of the opinion that the 400 hour mark was where the sound was pristine.

I am enjoying the process and hearing them blossom.

Pretty impressed with the way my cd player is sounding - much fuller - less digital.

I am saving the vinyl treat for the end.

THank you so much

vinyl_lady

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2020, 01:16 am »
Thanks Tom!

Always good to hear the impressions of another Apollo 11 owner. You are really going to love them when you hit the 200 hour mark and flat out be floored around 400 hours. When you switch to vinyl I predict it will be jaw dropping. Before social distancing and stay at home kicked in, I was enjoying having friends over to listen to music with which they were very familiar and give me this look of astonishment as they tell me it sounds like the artist/band are in the room. I smile.

I agree with your comments on micro dynamics, detail and tonality.  The Apollo 11s are the most tonally accurate speaker I have heard.

Keep enjoying and stay safe.

audiotom

• for everything music
200 hour update
« Reply #37 on: 19 Jun 2020, 01:50 am »

I am at ~ 170 hours on my Apollo 11s

I have been very busy at work, enjoying those last cool days of New Orleans spring and with our office moving. I am finally getting a lot more time to enjoy them.

The sound is becoming more engaging everyday.

Lush presentation

There was one aspect I was concerned about as I am breaking these in.

I haven’t wanted to play my turntable yet - the treat at the end.

I was suspicious that the little bit of edge in the cymbals and not fully open midrange I was hearing was probably my cd player/source material and not the Apollo 11s in early break in.  There was a lot of musical magic but I suspected the cd player might
Be The limiting factor. Everything  else sound wise had blossomed into place.

The OPPO BD105 was predominantly a transport only in my system and I would play a few 24/192 hi rez player SACDS etc. I was amazed at just how much more musical the standard cdS sounded with the speakers breaking in. Things I really took notice of as I was breaking them in with the OPPO I hadn’t resolved with it in any tangible way before.

Curious about the source’s contribution  I brought my Audio Research DAC 3 back into the equation - I had it at a friend’s and finally got it home and everything sonically just opened up.  THe veil Was removed and the top end tamed.

The top end is super dynamic and not fatiguing at all.
Crashing cymbals - bring it!
I found a few earth shattering dynamic recordings Of mine - wow -

Fully engaging.Vocals were  floating openly in an ambient space
THe upper mids completely bloomed bringing out more detail and this balanced out nicely with that effortless open mid/ low end And best attributes of the OPPO I have been enjoying all along.

THis is just with cds
Then I gave in and played two lp sides and I was really blown away.

I have owned my Ulysses V2 since fall 2015  and the Apollo 11 take it to a much deeper level of realism

I will do a tangible review once everything breaks in.

advanced101

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jun 2020, 10:09 pm »
I would be interested in a Ulysses V2 vs Apollo comparison. I also wonder how the Ulysses would compare with the new tweeters and mid range trim rings.

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #39 on: 21 Jun 2020, 02:27 am »
I will be more than happy to share my experience when I get there a full break in on  the Apollo / Ulysses

I was originally looking to do a major upgrade to my V2s

I would think that Lou and possibly someone who was lucky enough to be visiting to demo, might be the only ones who have heard the tripped out latest Ulysses and Apollo