LiFePO4

happyrabbit

LiFePO4
« on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:26 pm »

mamba315

LiFePO4
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:44 pm »
Thanks for the links Dwight.  I'm gonna try to edumacate meself a little before pulling the trigger.  I've never done a DIY project yet

Edit:  the chargers say they are for 8 cell packs, but the linked battery pack is 16 cell.  Is that a potential issue?

Edit 2: also, on the Dodd battery kit there's some type of fuse on the red discharge wire between the battery and the amp.  Good idea here too?  I need my hand held here.  Electronics not my specialty and I'd hate to fry my beautiful Sensation

Hey Seth, feel free to move the battery talk into a separate thread if you want.  I don't mean to derail your RMAF thread.

happyrabbit

LiFePO4
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2010, 02:28 am »
Mamba,

1# The Pack is 2x8 -> 16 cells
2# The Pack has a integrated circuit which deals with the over current condition. (aka no fuse needed)

http://www.batteryspace.com/PCB-for-8-cells-25.6V-LiFePO4-Battery-Pack-at-16A-limit.aspx

Dwight
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm by happyrabbit »

mturkel99

LiFePO4
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:50 am »
Happy, what do you think of this battery? It seems more powerful...

http://www.pzhlz.net/24V-10AH-LIFEPO4-Lithium-Battery-Pack-p-23038

se-riously

LiFePO4
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:30 am »
I didn't think I would hear about LiFePO4 versus SLA outside of the e-bike circles, but...

I suppose the high maximum discharge current of the LiFePO4 might be beneficial in this application, but it would be limited by a fuse anyway.  I'm actually curious what the fully charged voltage of this battery pack is, since it's possible the audible difference, especially at lower volumes, could be attributable to a series of batteries put together to bring you closer to the Virtue's maximum 30v, rather than two 12v SLA's that bring you to about 26 volts.

Edit - I just read happyrabbit's post.  With 8 LifePO4 cells, you're looking at a fully charged voltage of around 28.8 - 29.6 volts.  That's probably why there's such an audible difference.

2nd Edit - Looking at the RWA website, it looks like the key benefits of LiFePO4 are higher nominal voltage and lower impedance compared to SLA's.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2010, 06:04 pm by se-riously »

OzarkTom

Re: LiFePO4
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2010, 05:28 pm »
LiFePO4
Has anyone tried this on their Sensation yet?

romymartinez

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:59 am »
LiFePO4
Has anyone tried this on their Sensation yet?

Or Virtue Two?

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:29 am »
Oh god, I thought I'd found the last possible accessory for my amp. Nope, there's this too   :P

Has anyone compared this to the standard SLA's? I think the SLA under charge is up around 28 volts, so I can't see a benefit.

I think I'll save my pennies for a battery buss, pending OzarkTom's report.