CST-1 Crossover upgrade, does anybody have experience to share?

Caliaudioguy

I understand the concepts.  I just have to take the thing apart and see what's up with the crossover.  I hope I will be able to see the problem.  If not, standby for pictures...

lincolnmat

I had the same problem. I was using a new soldering iron that wasn't giving me good results. When I put the speaker back together there was no tweeter. I found my old Sears pistol style iron from the 70s and redid all of the connections and everything was fine. The second speaker was a MUCH easier job with a good hot soldering iron.

AverageNiceGuy

I understand the concepts.  I just have to take the thing apart and see what's up with the crossover.  I hope I will be able to see the problem.  If not, standby for pictures...

Did you have any luck getting them going?

Caliaudioguy

I opened it back up, had to desolder the drivers  :cry:  and in the process of removing the crossover, I discovered the white lead wire acting as the input to the crossover had broken its connection, possibly when I was installing it post cap replacement. 

I triple checked the crossover, this time doing a continuity test from each solder point back to input and output wires as well.  Having heard a satisfying beep across each point, I was satisfied that my issue must have been that one point of failure. 

I carefully reinstalled the crossover after the repair, tested with the drivers just clipped to the wires and I got sound!  Then I finalized the install, tested again and wow, sounds great. 

Side note: hearing the drivers outside of the cabinet was fascinating, the cabinet on this design really extends the low end.  And of course the NoRez, wow, I can hear the difference in the upgraded cabinet vs. the one I haven't taken apart yet.

The unmodified cabinet is by no means bad, but you absolutely can hear resonance, not created by the musical tracks to which I was listening.  It is clear to me how much the NoRez is a value compared to the cost, if you have these speakers and you haven't done any treatment inside, call Danny and get it ordered, you'll thank yourself later.

lincolnmat

After installing the No Rez my first speaker was dead. Similar to you one of the input wires to the crossover board had broken, I guess from all the manipulation of placing the No Rez. I was much more careful with the second speaker and didn't have the problem.

Were you able to get the No Rez into the chamber that has the tube connectors? I was able to fill the area at the back of the bottom port, but couldn't get my arm up into the tube connector area, or reach down from above. That is the only No Rez that I am missing from Danny's diagram.

Matt

Caliaudioguy

I was not able to reach that part of the cabinet either, my arm just doesn’t bend that way. I used some of the white poly fill that I removed from the top. Shoved it in the best I could. 

In other news, I started on speaker 2, forgot to post a tip: use a contrasting color pen like a silver sharpie to mark where the crossover goes!

« Last Edit: 14 May 2020, 05:27 am by Caliaudioguy »

AverageNiceGuy

Thanks for the updates guys, and especially the improved sound report.
I'll be taking a stab at upgrading mine this weekend.
I'm so impressed with they way they sound now, even before the upgrade.
Congratulations on the fix!  8) I think I was almost as bummed out as you.

Caliaudioguy

Thanks for the updates guys, and especially the improved sound report.
I'll be taking a stab at upgrading mine this weekend.
I'm so impressed with they way they sound now, even before the upgrade.
Congratulations on the fix!  8) I think I was almost as bummed out as you.

The relief I felt when it worked was something else. 

After I get the NoRez installed in speaker 2 I'll post a picture of that for your reference as well. 

AverageNiceGuy

I'm excited to see the progress.
Seeing the pictures posted helps give me confidence to do it, instead of scratching my head and figuring out the way.
Looks like my weekend will be a mad battle between honey-do's and CST-1 upgrade.

Caliaudioguy

Both speakers are done and sound great!

A few more pictures for you guys gearing up to start your upgrades.

AverageNiceGuy

Thank you!  8)

Darphyve

Has anyone done the before and after of the crossover upgrade?  I've done all the cabinet upgrades and the speakers are quite good after breaking in.  I would love to hear someone opinion on the improvements made by the crossover upgrade.

Groovin

Has anyone done the before and after of the crossover upgrade?  I've done all the cabinet upgrades and the speakers are quite good after breaking in.  I would love to hear someone opinion on the improvements made by the crossover upgrade.
  They  sound like different speakers not sure if it the norez or crossovers did both at the same time. Very pleased with them.

Caliaudioguy

I've been listening to my upgraded CST-1's for a couple of days and they sound GREAT!

Hope all your upgrades go well out there, Stay Safe!

lincolnmat

I mentioned in my long winded review in my "CST-1 No Rez question" post that I did the crossover upgrade first. I had to reposition the speakers after that because the tweeter level increased. Of course one of my crossovers had an incorrect capacitor value that may have made some difference. The speakers continue to improve as I get more hours on them - approximately 200 hours at this point.

Matt

AverageNiceGuy

Nice job on installing the SONICAPS!
I'm doing mine now.
Did anyone else find that chinese solder is hard to melt?
I'm having to attack mine with flux and American solder!  :flame:

AverageNiceGuy

Darphyve,
I currently have one CST-1 upgraded with SONICAPS and NoRez.
I was playing with some A-B comparisons before upgrading the second CST-1.
I made a YouTube video (linked below) in which the Audio is somewhat discernible between the two.
It is fairly obvious listening live, and YouTube losses appear to make it a little less clear.

The NoRez, as you probably already realize, definitely helps with box resonating at lower frequencies.

With this guitar tune, you may be able to hear that in the second speaker played (with SONICAPS), the guitar sounds sounds more full and clear on the high strings.
The low strings are more controlled because of the NoRez.
On the first speaker played (non-SONICAPS): Some of the high strings sound a little like a ukulele instead of a guitar. YouTube time 01:45.
The speaker with SONICAPS gives a fuller and more detailed sound that makes it more obvious that it is a guitar high string, and not a ukulele (or a loose guitar string).
On the non-SONICAP speaker, the vibrations of the strings, as the guitarist re-touches the already vibrating strings, sounds a little like tweeter breakup.
On the upgraded speaker, it is more obvious that the sound is already vibrating strings being re-touched.

I played about 1 minute of the tune for each speaker.
First speaker starts 0:52
Second (upgraded) speaker starts 02:15
The vibrations on the guitarist fingers sound more natural with SONICAPS 02:30
The part at 02:40: The strings sound more full and smoother with SONICAPS.

The part at (01:45-first speaker) and (03:08-upgraded speaker) is the part that sounds a little like a ukulele (non-SONICAPS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeuULgzIUC4

AlexH

Nice thanks for sharing. Certainly a difference for the good.  Do you have much time on the upgraded speaker? If not, it should only get better

AverageNiceGuy

Nice thanks for sharing. Certainly a difference for the good.  Do you have much time on the upgraded speaker? If not, it should only get better

I ran them both for a couple of weeks before the upgrade.
I'd say the drivers are broken-in well now.
I am supposing that the SONICAPS should not change much.

You were able to notice the difference from the YouTube video?

AlexH

Yes I could hear the difference, but I'm sure their is a bigger difference in person.