Question about how you got here ...

ericlp151

Question about how you got here ...
« on: 25 Aug 2013, 04:47 am »
I find it interesting ... I don't own a Virtue Amp.  I'll probably buy one used because I am interested in the sound...

But what I'm curious about is how you guys got started with virtue?

For me... it all started with the first original T-Amp...

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

Loved it... and what I read in the above article I quickly purchased 20 dollar amp from target.  I used an old power supply and tossed the weak one included ... I built a few kits from china didn't sound that good.  Probably because of the caps were crap.  But, I upgraded to another amp.  Trends same chip TA2024 ... Anyway... I am addicted to the 2024 chip and I've tried different chip amps from tripath like the 2020 ... didn't really care it.

Tho, Virtue amps has roots of the tripath t-amp chip it uses I think a TK2050.   

Yes I know the obvious to use this is to gain more POWER going from 12 Vots to 24/30 Volts and from 7WPC to 50WPC.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone this route from a 2024 searching for higher power amp.  Tho I've talked to many people and there just isn't the same sonic sound coming from the original tripath to a 2050 chip.  I'm hoping that a few can comment on this.

Also... I'm even more curious to know if Virtue will continue down the path of T-amp roots?   Or will you be going with another chip?    Or even going away from the TK2050.   Will be interesting to hear about some of the details for the third amp hopefully showing up soon.

Cheers!   :D

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
Re: Question about how you got here ...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm »
l have it all began when an audio friend here in Blighty who posted on a audio forum about this little T-amp, (2020 chip 1 input, 8wpc £60) that had amazing sound quality, so l brought one and he was correct it was amazing, this is called The Mini-T  made by Amptasic in Europe, it is an incredible sounding unit that will ( just about) drive some real world speakers, so this peaked my interest about Tripath amps, so l done a Google search " powerful Tripath amplifers" and Virtue came up and rest as they say is history, l now own two Sensations an M451 and an M901, they both sound different ( the M451 has various tweaks where the M901 is stock)and will be tweaking them further, another thing with the Virtues is that you can mod to your hearts content( in fact just been alerted to an upgrade on another forum so will be looking into this). The Virtues offer amazing performance for buttons and are very flexible, which helps a lot also. :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2013, 09:58 pm »
Hey there - sorry for the delay.

Lots of love going on these days.

Our next gen will start with a slight make-over of the ONE.3 -- largely the same amp.  More expensive to produce but easier to service.

In the future we may choose other chip options as supply/demand requires. 

I've now tried many amps and great sounding chips are a bit of a commodity, but for some reason I keep coming back to Tripath.  Perhaps it's the "imperfections" -- I don't know.  15 y/o tech still sounds great!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm »
Yours?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2013, 10:06 pm »
Yup!  Sweet little bundle of joy.  Mommy is well and she is well.

It strikes me now that I've copied both Vinnie's original chip set selection and his daughter's name: Sophia.

That guy certainly knows what he's doing!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:35 pm »
Mazel Tov! 

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2013, 12:39 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

audiorook72

• Virtue Amp-ed and loving it....
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2013, 04:33 pm »
Hey there - sorry for the delay.

Lots of love going on these days.

Our next gen will start with a slight make-over of the ONE.3 -- largely the same amp.  More expensive to produce but easier to service.

In the future we may choose other chip options as supply/demand requires. 

I've now tried many amps and great sounding chips are a bit of a commodity, but for some reason I keep coming back to Tripath.  Perhaps it's the "imperfections" -- I don't know.  15 y/o tech still sounds great!

Congratulations on the new addition, Seth!!!

asliarun

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2013, 06:17 pm »
Although I don't own a Virtue amp, my first introduction to Tripath was when I heard the Virtue paired with Omega single driver speakers. I was really impressed with how musical the setup sounded. I subsequently ended up buying a Topping TP20 Tripath 2020 based amp which worked very well with a small pair of single driver speakers I had. However, I have put them aside as they don't have the horsepower to drive my current speakers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2013, 08:07 pm »
I feel your joy.  Brings back memories of my own.  Lots a love to you and your family.

ericlp151

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2013, 01:15 am »
Congrats!!!!!!    :thumb:

Wow has it really been 15 years?  Seems like I bought my original sonic T just a few years ago.   Still going strong!

Glad you are sticking with Tripath.  Excited to see what you come up with on the 3.  Tho, I might not have cash to buy one as I am really thinking about buying a kit amp from classdaudio but I don't know yet.  Maybe I should just hold off for a bit longer.  Worth the wait maybe? 

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:47 pm »
Buy anything you can afford ;-)   And sell.  And share.

I have the ONE.3 prototype on the way back to me.  It's a "back to basics" unit that is easy to upgrade/repair.  I need to check out a few things and program the PIC... but once that's done, I'll open pre-orders immediately.

Hoping to ship from Taiwan, mid-November.

audiorook72

• Virtue Amp-ed and loving it....
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2013, 11:21 pm »
I have the ONE.3 prototype on the way back to me.  It's a "back to basics" unit that is easy to upgrade/repair.  I need to check out a few things and program the PIC... but once that's done, I'll open pre-orders immediately.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2013, 02:01 am »
Yup!  Sweet little bundle of joy.  Mommy is well and she is well.

It strikes me now that I've copied both Vinnie's original chip set selection and his daughter's name: Sophia.

That guy certainly knows what he's doing!
Hi Virtue and all Audio Circle members.
Nice smiling little baby.
Congratulation.

Guy 13

ericlp151

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2013, 03:50 pm »
Buy anything you can afford ;-)   And sell.  And share.

Nice I can't wait to see the specs and prices...  :)