crunch blues

Viajero5000

crunch blues
« on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:11 pm »
so Hovland has gone under after 10 years of business thanks to cash flow problems/non-existent credit crunch sales.

I hope Bryston is coping ok with this troublesome period (judging from this forum it should actually be doing quite well!).  To James and the rest of the team, your customers and fans are behind you!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: crunch blues
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:18 pm »
That's sad news indeed - are they a UK company?

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:19 pm »
No, US I believe.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2009, 04:09 pm »
It is sad when a company goes out of business - but it happens for a reason. When you produce poor quality products, people will stop purchasing your products. In my opinion, GM and Chrysler and the other companies on the "bail out" wagon  should of went out of business instead of receiving billions (hundreds) of tax payer dollars. Bail outs never fix the problem.

Ten years ago, I purchased my first Toyota and I am extremely happy with it. My wife purchased a Chrysler 4 years ago - what a horrible vehicle. I know that my wife's next vehicle will be a Toyota and I cannot foresee any reason what so ever to have a Ford, GM or Chrysler sitting in my driveway again - period. When I look up and down the street in my neighbourhood, I see this happening with many other individuals.

At the end of the day, greedy unions and managements caused their own demise and who suffered? We did, the consumer with poor quality products and now we have to pay for it all over again because of these bailouts.

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2009, 05:36 pm »

At the end of the day, greedy unions and managements caused their own demise and who suffered? We did, the consumer with poor quality products and now we have to pay for it all over again because of these bailouts.

Couldn't agree more... whether it's greedy unions and management, corrupt bankers or crooked politicians, it's always the common man who ends up footing the bill.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2009, 05:47 pm »
Hi,
I don`t know how you are dealeing with situation, in my case I don`t dress in my country, make no deals with hi-fi, hi-end dealers, not buying CD from the stores. If I heed something I check for it in web then make a decision.
Maybe someone else can share his way of dealing in such sircumstancies.
Daniel

Dilbert

1ZIP

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:21 am »

Apparently the majority of the country agrees with you.....odd how the majority doesn't matter any more!

Viajero5000

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2009, 09:24 am »
Hi,
I don`t know how you are dealeing with situation, in my case I don`t dress in my country, make no deals with hi-fi, hi-end dealers, not buying CD from the stores. If I heed something I check for it in web then make a decision.
Maybe someone else can share his way of dealing in such sircumstancies.
Daniel

not a whole lot that can be done unfortunately... one has to put up with it for the most part.

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:38 pm »
In the US and Canada we enjoy the blessings of freedom and along with it free market economies.  Hovland's demise is nothing more than a business model mis-matched to the market they intended to serve.  In the absense of some outside artificial force such as a government or a Marxist labor union this will result in the end of the business every time.  If the company is artifically spared by one or more of the aforementioned outside forces it will ususally just prolong the inevitable e.g. Chrysler, GM as mentioned by Andy.  Can you say Yugo?!!  The long and short of the Hovland demise is that it is nobody's fault but Hovland's.

Laundrew

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2009, 03:54 pm »
Another problem with these bailouts is the "playing field" is no longer level.

Can you imagine if you are a profitable company, you provide to your consumers a product that is high in quality at a very reasonable cost. You have outstanding customer service and you are constantly improving your products with further research and development.

In this great, so called capitalistic system of ours, you would expect to see your competitors who do not provide a quality product to their customers go out of business. But they will never go out of business because of the government's very deep pockets.

I cannot imagine how frustrating this would be for a profitable company.

GM and Chrysler will most likely be back for more tax payer's money next year. The CEO's of these companies are no longer worried because they know that they will be able to get more funding when they need it.

I would like to see a class action lawsuit made by the automotive companies that did not require bail outs against the government for unfair business practices - it would be very interesting to say the least.     

1ZIP

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2009, 05:12 pm »
It's probably true that Hovland's demise is due to their business model and the economy in general.  The free market system working as it should.  But government bailouts for companies who can't cut in a free market system makes little sense and produces some unintended and broader consequences as each of us are probably going to find out.  First we used taxpayer $$'s to bail them out, then we spent more taxpayer $$'s to buy their product (Clunkers Program).  Now, its being reported that Honda, Toyota, etc. were the largest beneficiaries of the Clunkers program.  Helloooo....me thinks there is a message in there for the bailees and the government.

Stimulus...spending $$'s for prosperity....makes about as much sense as fornicating for virginity!!

Laundrew

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:09 am »
It's probably true that Hovland's demise is due to their business model and the economy in general.  The free market system working as it should.  But government bailouts for companies who can't cut in a free market system makes little sense and produces some unintended and broader consequences as each of us are probably going to find out.  First we used taxpayer $$'s to bail them out, then we spent more taxpayer $$'s to buy their product (Clunkers Program).  Now, its being reported that Honda, Toyota, etc. were the largest beneficiaries of the Clunkers program.  Helloooo....me thinks there is a message in there for the bailees and the government.

Stimulus...spending $$'s for prosperity....makes about as much sense as fornicating for virginity!!

I remember reading about that, most people were purchasing Toyota or Honda products under the Clunkers program - another wake-up call for the North American automotive industry... :lol: