KEF reference 201/2

samyfi

KEF reference 201/2
« on: 24 Aug 2009, 06:59 pm »
Hi All,

I purchased a Bryston B100 about 6 months ago and this is my first post on audiocircle (although I have been lurking for a bit). I really love my B100 and am looking for bookshelf speakers to match. My room size is ~ 20 x 14. I am considering the KEF ref 201s. Any thoughts or opinions on these speakers or the combo? I listen to fusion jazz, indian clasical, some clasic rock. I like percussion (tabla and african drums)... So far I have listened to some of the dynaudio, amphion, totem bookshelves (different electronics). I really liked the amphions so far.

Thanks in advance!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: KEF reference 201/2
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2009, 07:50 pm »
Hello samyfi,

The KEFs Q1s were my pervious pair of speakers that I used for 2 channel listening. The Q1s are no where near the level of the KEF 201s you are considering.

My Q1s gave me many hours of listening enjoyment - but they needed the benefit of a separate sub woofer and having them in my bookshelf helped also. At first I was driving them with a Sony amp and then I drove them with my Marantz - what a difference. I like the detail the KEFs had in the mid and high range.

KEFs are what I use in my home theatre system and I am very happy with their performance.

Remember to Demo your speakers with your amp before you buy them - you will save yourself a lot of grief and disappointment :duh:

Be well...

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2009, 08:22 pm »
Hello samyfi,
I agree you have to audition the speakers prior to buy them.
I would advocate for some peticular brand, but it is you to decide.
Having a PMC for me is very hard to look for another brand.
Daniel

samyfi

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2009, 09:52 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. It may be difficult to listen to them as the dealers in my area dont have a demo pair in stock. Any other listening impressions from people that have heard the 201s? Any thoughts on the driver quality?

thanks

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2009, 10:14 pm »
Samyfi

I have KEF Reference 205/2's; I recently heard the 201/2's in San Fran (very short listen during someones demo).

As far as drivers they are phenomenal.

The 201/2's are a great speaker, but as mentioned will have minimal low end impact.  If used with a sub/pair of subs they will make an outstanding 2-channel speaker or HT speaker.

I love the KEF sound and am extremely happy with my purchase.  They tend toward the warm side of neutral and can be tailored for placement.

If you can hear them do so before you buy.  If not, try and listen to a 203/2 - it will be closest to the 201/2 in overall presentation.

Mark

WBimmer

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2009, 03:46 am »
Hi Sami, I run the Kef 205's on my system and I'm a huge Kef fan.  I've been running Kef speakers for twenty years and when it came time to buy some new speakers about three years ago, I couldn't find anything I liked, until I listened to the Kef Reference series.  I guess I was trying to find something that sounded like a Kef and I couldn't, so I upgraded from the C85 to the 205.

I orignally bought these to go in a HT setup and I also bought the 201 and 202C, which I'm no longer using, so if you're interested in saving yourself some money and don't mine the older version, then let me know??  They're essentially brand new as they were running as the rear surrounds and you know how little of a workout they get.

Wayne.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2009, 04:33 am »
Nice gear Wimmer, i owned the kef 104/2 for years before my AZ's and i would in flash  consider going back to them. I am big advocate of Torus gear. With this i might've suggested the larger unit , a rm15 or rm20 range. I own monster cable av2000 that gives me on the fly current delivery, and of course i come in at around 4 amps with my tv and everything else hooked up. However the torus really is meant for dynamic power imo and the Monster cable avs2000 doesnt show dynamic power. Your rm-10 with your 14b might be a bit shy. This is of course if your dont throttle it too much otherwise it should work fine.