Teo Audio Liquid metal cables

celebrat

Re: Teo Audio Liquid metal cables
« Reply #80 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:04 pm »
I have had the TEO GC interconnects in my system for about 2 weeks now. This has given me enough time to do a true evaluation. I have had many cables throughout the years. Currently the Teo GC are replacing Cardas Clear and Tellerium Q Black Diamond. I do not do a quick AB comparison with cables. Rather I put them in my system and listen over an extended period of time. Of the Cardas and Tellerium I would say they are quite similar with preference leaning towards the Tellerium for what I perceive is a slightly better openness. These cables are the best I have found at a high yet not insane price. I am definitely in the camp that believes that cables do make a difference. I will get back to the cables below.

The rest of my system consists of Mastersound 845 monoblocks SET and 40wpc; These are run directly from a Phasure NOS1a DAC which uses the proprietary XXhighend software lossless volume control. The speakers are the awesome Omega 1.5 high output monitors and set of 2 GR Research dual 12" OB subwoofers. I love my system. It is very simple yet highly resolving and very musical. Other than power cables the only cables are the one set of interconnects for source to amps and speaker cables for amps to the Omegas. The subwoofers run another set of ICs to the A370PEQ amplifiers.

The first thing I will say is the Teo sound different from any cable I recall. I think there was at least a couple of days of break-in where they sounded extremely open but also quite forward sounding. After this the forwardness seemed to go away leaving an open and very high resolution musical picture with dense imaging and realistic sounding vocals and instruments. Voices and instruments were properly sized and sense of room boundaries were real sounding and accurate. Without a doubt I heard what I felt was a much more resolved musical image and truly greater detail than any of the cables I have or remember from the past. One thing I have noticed and am not sure about is my system is now extremely volume dependent. Uh what do I mean by that? I am not sure but I feel if I turn the volume up too much (and by that I mean 1 or 2 1.5db notches at most. The treble can sound hard and forward. If down too low (again by 1.5 to 3db) I feel like I am missing the total impact. As long as the volume is correct I am happy as a clam.

A couple of final points. Teo offers a 14 day no questions asked money back guarantee. For me that is as good as a road tour. Anyone considering these cables should take advantage of it. If you do not have a high resolution system I am not sure you will be able to hear some of the differences I am writing about. They are not subtle but my guess is your system should be decent before attempting.  For me price performance for the Teo GC is pretty incredible seeing as what the cost of the cables I had in my system are. I am not really into the science of it all. The fact that they are liquid is interesting but I really don't care. I'll let the new technology attempt to be explained by Ken to those who want to know. I want my system to sound its best and with these ICs it does. I have no affiliation with Teo whatsoever but feel they are that good that I recommend them.

One last thing. Ken, these are the entry level. What can I expect with your higher level ICs? Feel free to PM

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #81 on: 14 Mar 2017, 09:17 pm »
Thanks for sharing celebrat!

My ups notification says my pair won't arrive til this coming Monday but I'm hoping they get here by Friday. Weather has been pretty bad back there but I think Kingston missed the bad stuff.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #82 on: 14 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm »
My 2nd pair arrived today. Let's see if 2 is better than 1!

Early B.

« Reply #83 on: 14 Mar 2017, 11:26 pm »
One thing I have noticed and am not sure about is my system is now extremely volume dependent. Uh what do I mean by that? I am not sure but I feel if I turn the volume up too much (and by that I mean 1 or 2 1.5db notches at most. The treble can sound hard and forward. If down too low (again by 1.5 to 3db) I feel like I am missing the total impact. As long as the volume is correct I am happy as a clam.

My guess is that you've arrived at the point where great cables begin to reveal weaknesses elsewhere in your system. I recently had the same issue, and it took a long time to correct with changes in speakers and cables (ICs and PCs), mainly.

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 15 Mar 2017, 12:42 am »
Thanks for sharing celebrat!

My ups notification says my pair won't arrive til this coming Monday but I'm hoping they get here by Friday. Weather has been pretty bad back there but I think Kingston missed the bad stuff.

We got hit by it, and are still getting hit by it... and I missed getting some cables out today.

The first thing I will say is the Teo sound different from any cable I recall.

That is indeed the issue, is it not? It has to be heard, in one's own familiar system/context.

The trial period is 30 days, but Audiogon does an automatic '14 day' mention in their advert formatting, and I'm not yet sure how to overcome their wording.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017, 04:56 pm by KHotte »

celebrat

« Reply #85 on: 15 Mar 2017, 07:09 pm »
Good Luck Tomy2Tone. If you are saying Kinston RI not sure what you got. In southern NH we got 1 1/2 feet.

Not sure if I totally agree with the idea of great cables revealing limitations in the rest of the system. I have always had to set what I feel is the appropriate volume for a given song or album. It's just that it seems more important now like almost more precise.

Hey Ken. Hearing how they sound in my system; Yes that is the point. The fact that I prefer them in my system is even better. I did not realize about  the 30 day trial. That is a very generous no brainer. So in the Audiogon ad you said you were trying to gather opinions and brand recognition and let people about the sound quality and technology of your liquid cables. Now that I have done that, please tell me what I could expect from your higher price models and God forbid the speaker cables (-:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #86 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:13 pm »
Regarding the sensitivity to playback levels, I have puzzled over that and come to the conclusion that the best playback level is related to the level at which the recording was mixed and mastered. This would have affected the apparent tonality the mixing and mastering engineers were working with due to the Fletcher Munsen effect. The same effect influences the apparent tonality at playback.

I used to mark the best playback level on all my CDs and records when I had a stepped volume control on the preamp I had at the time, but now that I am married other factors prevail…

tdangelo

« Reply #87 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:06 pm »
My 2 pair arrive Monday  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #88 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:19 pm »
My 2 pair arrive Monday  :D

I thought you were getting out because of the small digs Tony?

tdangelo

« Reply #89 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:25 pm »
I thought you were getting out because of the small digs Tony?
Out of audio?  No way Pete. Just downsizing the system/speakers. I had a pair of Raidho X3 after selling the big speakers and they just weren't my thing.  I now have Langerson 217 and the ML Ethos. This new room is proving to be a challenge for sure. I miss my old room  :?

celebrat

« Reply #90 on: 16 Mar 2017, 11:38 am »

Regarding the sensitivity to playback levels, I have puzzled over that and come to the conclusion that the best playback level is related to the level at which the recording was mixed and mastered. This would have affected the apparent tonality the mixing and mastering engineers were working with due to the Fletcher Munsen effect. The same effect influences the apparent tonality at playback.

I used to mark the best playback level on all my CDs and records when I had a stepped volume control on the preamp I had at the time, but now that I am married other factors prevail…

That's what I thought Russell and I too am married. Now she always selects the proper volume whenever we listen together :kiss:

KHotte

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 16 Mar 2017, 05:57 pm »

One last thing. Ken, these are the entry level. What can I expect with your higher level ICs? Feel free to PM

I have pm'd you the contact info for having that explained. It takes some give and take in actual conversation to get there.

doitwithlife

« Reply #92 on: 31 Jan 2019, 05:13 pm »
Has anyone tried the new Teo Balanced IC?  Interested to know how they sound compared to the single ended