Split USB Cable

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Split USB Cable
« on: 4 Nov 2019, 07:40 pm »
  If you use an USB cable you owe it to yourself to buy or at least audition this cable. Right out the box it was just everything you want . Correct tonality, timbre, harmonics, speed, open, clarity and imaging.
  I just cannot compliment this cable enough. It embarrassed the Shunyata Venom big time. Kudos to Dave and Pete My Innuos Zenith mk3 never sounded better. BRILLIANT !!!! 

charles

Triode Pete

Re: Split USB Cable
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2019, 07:48 pm »
Thanks, Charles!

We missed you at CAF!

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2019, 07:54 pm »
Thanks, Charles!

We missed you at CAF!

Cheers,
Pete

Next year had family obligations, thanks good to be missed.

charles

shakey

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:27 pm »
I replaced an Audioquest Black Diamond with the Split USB between my Mac mini and Wavelength Audio Crimson Dac. I still have the Audioquest cable but really have no reason to put it back in the system.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:03 pm »
  Going through its break in as it is changing a bit. Told 100 hours but 200 is when you are there.

charles

J Payton

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:23 pm »
Any link to the sight? When you search Split USB Cable it offers up a lot of y split type cables.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:45 pm »
Any link to the sight? When you search Split USB Cable it offers up a lot of y split type cables.

Go to TWL website. You will find it there.

charles

Triode Pete

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:45 pm »

https://www.triodewirelabs.com/product/split-power-data-usb-cable/

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:17 pm »
  OK reporting back. 200+ hours on cable. I can now officially state that streaming is now better to my ears thanks to this USB cable. I have tried numerous USB cables. Pete and I use the same server and this USB was like made with it in mind.
  So listen up LPs your in trouble . :lol: :thumb:

charles

ARL67

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2020, 11:32 pm »
Anyone using the Split USB Cable with a Devialet D220 ?

I just bought the TWL Split USB from a guy who has many TWL products but he never got around to using his Split USB in his setup.  I have been using the TWL Digital American for a few years now, and love that power cord.

I have both a Bryston BDP-3 and a Fidelizer Nimitra fronting my Devialet.
When connected to the Devialet and any combo of USB ports on either the BDP-3 or Nimitra, the Devialet is not seen.  Of course a cheap $5 computer USB cable works.  Might there be some specific issue with the USB implementation on the Devialet ?  I did take my voltmeter and verified the correct continuity between the USB-B pins and the corresponding USB-A pins on the Data & Power leads.

On the Devialetchat forum, there or some who use other ( not TWL ) split cables, or Data-only cables.
One guy mentioned in an old post from 2014 that:
 " The Devialet needs the USB ground active. It can do without an active +5V power from the source. "

thanks ~ Andy

Triode Pete

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2020, 06:50 pm »
Anyone using the Split USB Cable with a Devialet D220 ?

I just bought the TWL Split USB from a guy who has many TWL products but he never got around to using his Split USB in his setup.  I have been using the TWL Digital American for a few years now, and love that power cord.

I have both a Bryston BDP-3 and a Fidelizer Nimitra fronting my Devialet.
When connected to the Devialet and any combo of USB ports on either the BDP-3 or Nimitra, the Devialet is not seen.  Of course a cheap $5 computer USB cable works.  Might there be some specific issue with the USB implementation on the Devialet ?  I did take my voltmeter and verified the correct continuity between the USB-B pins and the corresponding USB-A pins on the Data & Power leads.

On the Devialetchat forum, there or some who use other ( not TWL ) split cables, or Data-only cables.
One guy mentioned in an old post from 2014 that:
 " The Devialet needs the USB ground active. It can do without an active +5V power from the source. "

thanks ~ Andy
Hi Andy,
The design of the "Split Power & Data" USB cable puts the ground wire is in the power leg.  If you are just using the Data side - that is the issue. It does not have any ground reference in there.  There can't be a handshake between the source and the DAC without some sort of pulse reference.

What you require is a DATA-only cable with a continuous ground wire that is also referenced to the connector shells. The Devialet does not need the +5V leg to work.  It DOES require the shield (ground) to be carried all of the way through to serve as a reference for the pulses to swing around.  The DAC wants to see the computer or source ground.

I hope this helps... A "Data-only" USB cable can be fabricated for you...

Best regards,
Pete

ARL67

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2020, 11:41 pm »
I do have both Power & Data USB-A ends plugged into the BDP-3 at the same time.  It has many USB ports, and no combination works
Also when testing with the Fidelizer Nimitra PC,  I too have both of the USB-A Data & Power ends plugged into the Nimitra's USB ports.

I also tried the Split Cable with both Power & Data ends plugged into my office PC ( Windows 10 Pro ) and then connected to a laser printer.  The laser printer is not seen by the PC.  The original owner of the Split cable ( Joel S. , just south of Calgary ) says he never tested it out in his setup so I can't rely on his opinion.

I have used my voltmeter's continuity function to test for a possible cable break, but it appears the 4 wires from the USB-B end do go correctly to the corresponding USB-A spots on the Data and Power sides.

Any other idea Pete ?

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2020, 08:10 pm »
I do have both Power & Data USB-A ends plugged into the BDP-3 at the same time.  It has many USB ports, and no combination works
Also when testing with the Fidelizer Nimitra PC,  I too have both of the USB-A Data & Power ends plugged into the Nimitra's USB ports.

I also tried the Split Cable with both Power & Data ends plugged into my office PC ( Windows 10 Pro ) and then connected to a laser printer.  The laser printer is not seen by the PC.  The original owner of the Split cable ( Joel S. , just south of Calgary ) says he never tested it out in his setup so I can't rely on his opinion.

I have used my voltmeter's continuity function to test for a possible cable break, but it appears the 4 wires from the USB-B end do go correctly to the corresponding USB-A spots on the Data and Power sides.

Any other idea Pete ?

Hi Andy,
Send it back, we'll diagnose (inquiring minds need to know) & we'll take care of it for you.

I'll send you a PM with the details...

Cheers,
Pete