Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1360 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:54 pm »
Neo, thanks for that. Yes, I have one now. Fun cartridge. Sounded a little thick at 47k/150pf total. I upped that to 47k/330pf but I think I over did it. I have a bunch of caps and resistors on the way to play with.

I find the Z1/SAS rather height sensitive, and this seems consistent with all the microridge tipped carts I've tried.  For loading, I think you'll find that increasing resistance value, if possible, will better address that situation.  Adding capacitance will lower high frequency resonance and is used to augment the midrange/treble region and fix treble droop.  The X1/Z1 shibata were 4-ch carts and probably need to see lower capacitance as part of the design.

Like Toni said about an AT - wants to see < 200pF total for flat response.  Higher C will make it sound brighter. 
I usually change resistance value +/- about 10% of the total value and take it from there.  Whatever works.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1361 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:06 pm »
Around '95 I bought an AHT Phono unit from a "reviewer". It wasn't the Non - Sig but the less expensive model. I remember it being VERY good. I sold it to finance the purchase of a Marantz 7C. I still regret selling it. I called Dan about a problem with the unit, he told me to come down to Jersey and he would take a look. He did the repair while I waited. Nice guy.

Small World?  There was a review in 6 Moons.  I think he might of know Dan, but I'm not sure about that.  If you got it around '95 and had it fixed sometime later, did Dan still have the Goldmund table and direct drive electrostatics?  You might have been graced with the presence of the beautiful damsel Donna, girlfriend extraordinaire.  We worked out of Dan's house.  I used to commute and would arrive unexpectedly, and sometimes it was obvious they had been doing what couples do.  Ah, le parfum d'une femme e'tait enivrant. 

The Goldmund is a great table, but the arm isn't quite as great.  Dan had a Grasshopper and it was still pretty damn good.  The DD 2 + 2's had potential, but Dan didn't have the room and it was really nice but not the best ever.  That cigar would go to Dr. Marty Wax.  Leave it to an ophthalmologist to get alignment right?  That's a story for another day.
neo

smctigue

« Reply #1362 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:53 pm »
Yeah, Dan definitely had the Goldmund and I remember his tube amp (one of his designs) but I don't remember his speakers. No Donna that day. The "reviewer" I bought it from instructed me "not to tell Dan who you bought this from". He was a sleazy character. I seem to recall Stereophile had a review but I could be wrong about that. I remember the review as being ok, nothing great. I bought it on a recommendation and was happy that I did.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1363 on: 4 Mar 2016, 02:27 pm »
It shouldn't be too long before I can start my new table build.  I want to try to duplicate the Kenwood anti-resonance material as used on the L07d, KD500, etc. but on a Halcro style pod.  This material requires lots of ventilation when drying and it's still too cold for that.  I might take some photos as I go and hopefully it won't jinx me. 

The table is a newly acquired JVC/Victor TT81 motor unit.  I have a 120V AC to 100V step down from Amazon and I'm ready to get started.  I also now have a Victor 7045 arm, and I'm thinking of using the Unitrac or Sonus with it, on another pod.  If I set up a third pod for a mono cart maybe I could sell a few tables, but it's always hard for me to sell a piece of my collection even if it's not the greatest or best.  Truth be told, I'm not an audiophile.  This is a hobby for me and I'm into music, so there it is, a vehicle, a means to an end not a business anymore and hopefully not an obsession. 

Some of you might remember our talking about Raul on Audiogon forum.  This is the guy who started the MM/MI thread on Agon.  Some of this is funny, but the guy is so stupid it's pathetic.  He obviously has two authors for his technical questions and..... 
My member name on there is fleib.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tonearm-recommendation

smctigue

« Reply #1364 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:11 pm »
Mr. TEA pities the fool who hasn't trained his ear to recognize distortion.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1365 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm »
Mr. TEA pities the fool who hasn't trained his ear to recognize distortion.

Raul's final word on alignment - just posted.  He's so dumb it's a sin.  I feel sorry for him. He's enthusiastic, but his arrogance is only exceed by his ignorance and stupidity - an egomaniac moron with an agenda. 

Maybe if I tell him he's right we can get on with it.  He has already taken up most of the thread.  Hmmm, that could backfire and come back to haunt me.  Maybe it's worth a try anyway. 

SoundTractor

Feikert
neo

Guy 13

« Reply #1366 on: 4 Mar 2016, 11:06 pm »
Raul's final word on alignment - just posted.  He's so dumb it's a sin.  I feel sorry for him. He's enthusiastic, but his arrogance is only exceed by his ignorance and stupidity - an egomaniac moron with an agenda. 

Maybe if I tell him he's right we can get on with it.  He has already taken up most of the thread.  Hmmm, that could backfire and come back to haunt me.  Maybe it's worth a try anyway. 

SoundTractor

Feikert
neo

Hi neo,
by curiosity I went on Audiogon and read a few comments from Raul,
I hope I don't write my comments on AudioCircle like him.  :duh:

Guy 13

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1367 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:33 am »
Hi neo,
by curiosity I went on Audiogon and read a few comments from Raul,
I hope I don't write my comments on AudioCircle like him.  :duh:

Guy 13

Nothing to concern yourself with on that score.  Raul is fond of calling other people ignorant and thinks he knows more than anyone. 
Ignorance means lack of specific knowledge, but it has other implications in our culture.  Everyone is ignorant of something, to a greater or lesser degree, but to be so stupid and misinformed, and insulting to other people at the same time, is a little hard to take.  I've been dealing and trying to reason with this guy for around 10 years when he came on VE and wrote the dumbest, most obnoxious stuff you can imagine.   

I see I'm a little late to employ my strategy.  Maybe it's just as well.  There's no satisfaction to be gained at any rate.  Best I could hope for is to shut him up for a short while.  He is honestly trying and revenge is an bitter dish, best not served. 
neo 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1368 on: 5 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
I want to get this posted before I forget.  It's a great resource if it happens to include something of interest to you.  Among other things it is an alignment arc protractor generator, strobe disk generator and has thrust plate material testing results.
http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

Arc protractors are not recommended unless mounting distance is perfect (factory).

neo

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1369 on: 6 Mar 2016, 12:32 pm »
I second Neo's recommendation here, Conrad Hoffman's arc protractor generator is unequalled in my experience.  You can adjust any parameter in seconds and generate templates with any of the standard alignments or any custom one you wish to invent.  You must be able to scale your printer to produce exact reproductions and not "fit to size", but that's usually easily accomplished.  A little harder is cutting out an exact spindle hole, I used a protractor with a circle guide, then cut an X inside the circle.  Voila, perfect center cut.  Heavy weight gloss photo paper made the best templates.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1370 on: 7 Mar 2016, 05:23 pm »
Hi Mr. Roll,
Good advice for printing.  I downloaded 3 protractors on plain paper and got the scale on the money.  Cut them out perfectly and glued them to some thin cardboard.  The glue made them curl up and they were useless.  I should have known which glue shrinks, but I was never into glue.  Hard to imagine someone dumping a tube of model airplane cement into a paper bag and huffing glue.  I have a friend who did that when he was a kid.  Said the glue got on your face and in your nose hairs and everywhere exposed and he didn't find that out until he woke up from a coma.  I'd like to be able to say he only had 2 or 3 brain cells left, but the truth of the matter - the guy's a brain and a half.  He smokes everyone under the table then does trig in his head.  But who knows maybe he could have been another Einstein.

I know you're a History guy and I've got a question.  What did George Washington die from?  Hint: It wasn't bacterial epiglottitis. 

I've got a new friend.  She's a little whacky, but .....

See ya on the flip side,
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1371 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:22 pm »

I know you're a History guy and I've got a question.  What did George Washington die from?  Hint: It wasn't bacterial epiglottitis. 

Mr. Cheap and Cheerful Enclosure Guy (meant in a good way),

I'll spare you the embarrassment of not posting the answer to a question you probably haven't seen yet.   :roll: You might have thought I was going to make a joke and say he died of Dutch elm disease or poison oak, but Washington's wooden teeth is a myth.  He never had wood teeth.
He had dental problems most of his life and all of his adult life, which wasn't unusual near the end of the 18th Century.  He did have partials and false teeth, and he collected teeth both animal and human to supply his Dentists.  He also purchased at least 9 teeth from "Negros".  Washington stood 6' 3" and I imagine he was looking for a good fit and that was the only consideration.  As President, Washington was in constant pain.  His gums were painful, if not diseased.  There is conjecture about a bone infection, which is possible when a bacterial infection from a wound, spreads.

What Washington really looked like:
http://www.earlyamerica.com/lives-early-america/real-face-george-washington/

It was a cold and stormy day in December when President Washington, at age 67, rode out in the freezing rain to inspect his property at Mt. Vernon. 
To be continued.
neo

smctigue

« Reply #1372 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:09 pm »
The President who chose not to be King.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1373 on: 9 Mar 2016, 12:38 am »
Hello Smctigue,
I think I remarked about your user name and I thought it seemed familiar, but I couldn't place it.  Then it occurred to me that you might be
E. Smctigue Wagstaff, son of the late Quincy Adams Wagstaff president of Huxley Univ.  I followed that hunch and soon realized it was a comical dead end, at least as far as your genealogy.  I was beside myself with frustration, but no regrets for following my instincts.

I was reading about George Washington and his red hair and something else occurred to me.  [George did not wear a wig. He powered his red hair to look acceptable when in formal wear]  Your moniker became clear to me.  I unlocked the code and solved the enigma.  Without your permission I won't reveal the actual names of your ancestors.  Before I continue let me ask you a question.  When under hypnosis do you have feelings of hunger and longings for French fries or potatoes, roasted or mashed?  This is making me hungry.  I await your response.
neo

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1374 on: 9 Mar 2016, 03:05 am »
Hi Mr. Roll,

See ya on the flip side,
neo

Well I always though he was bleed to death by his physicians, who were treating some kind of upper respiratory infection.  A wiki search says the infection was the causal instrument of his passing, not aided by all the bloodletting.  Everything is speculation and guesswork, some of it by very educated people, thus the cause is an educated guess at best.  I was never a big Washington guy, but was always fascinated by his early exploits, been to Ft Necessity and Ft Ligonier many times.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1375 on: 9 Mar 2016, 04:13 pm »
Dear Mr. Letitroldsmobile98,

You were never a big Washington guy.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but you're treading on thin ice.  I think you mean, you weren't assigned to the Washington section when you were sweeping floors at the National Archives? 

If you're referring to the Necessity loss, does the term "forced confession" mean anything to you?  Did you happen to read Washington's comments after?

I'm not going to predicate further discussion on the proposition that you evaluate Washington's performance as Commander in Chief as second rate.  That would be inconsistent with prior discussions. 

If you still have an Olds 98, that might be interesting if it's a '41.   Other than that, I'm quite sure your luxury liner Jersey Jalopy is entirely mundane, but that is not the issue at hand.  I suspect this is a misunderstanding and I'm hesitant to continue.
neo

Jeff K

« Reply #1376 on: 9 Mar 2016, 04:32 pm »
I don't know how this thread got around to GW, (I guess the beyond provides a lot of latitude), but the Brits think he was a pretty good general.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9204961/George-Washington-named-Britains-greatest-ever-foe.html

They've faced some good ones over the centuries.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1377 on: 9 Mar 2016, 09:23 pm »
Jeffkie,
Beyond encompasses everything in this universe and the next.  When this works it's like a comedy team bowling league.  One guy person sets im up, the other knocks em dead.  Manual pin setting only please. 

You want to talk carts?  That's serious business and you could spark a serious discussion.  Most of the funny stuff isn't so funny. It never gets off the launch pad.  Talk away (new anti-speech spray only to be used as directed). 

See Chris Rock at the self-congratulatory awards for overpaid movie people?  I thought he showed great restraint all things considered.  That's a strange phrase - all things considered.  Maybe it should say - all things we have considered, because it implies all things have been considered. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to recognize the classiest champ:

You go girl.  Look at you bad self.  You'll be back, don't I know it.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1378 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:16 pm »
Well I always though he was bleed to death by his physicians, who were treating some kind of upper respiratory infection.  A wiki search says the infection was the causal instrument of his passing, not aided by all the bloodletting.  Everything is speculation and guesswork, some of it by very educated people, thus the cause is an educated guess at best.  I was never a big Washington guy, but was always fascinated by his early exploits, been to Ft Necessity and Ft Ligonier many times.

I think you were right the first time.  They say hindsight is 20-20, but after 200 years?  After riding in the freezing rain Washington did not change out of his wet clothes.  Later he wasn't feeling well and retired.  Doesn't seem like enough time for an infection, respiratory or epiglottal to cause death.  Washington was complaining of a general feeling of being sick and having a sore throat which was said to be constricting, but had enough time passed?  He was bled approx. 80% of his blood.  Not much chance of recovering from anything under those circumstances.  Considering the infection theories, it makes about as much sense as saying he died of a sore throat. 

Martha was against the practice of bleeding.  We'll never know why she didn't prevent it.  Doctors can be intimidating. 
In the US the healthcare system is broken.  It's not a system it's a multi billion dollar industry. 

Forced confession - see the kid on the news in N. Korea?  Breaks your heart, at least mine.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1379 on: 11 Mar 2016, 08:06 am »
I couldn't help but notice, no one commented on the Stereoplay tests.  Some interesting carts on there including the Grado Sonata, AT33EV, Kisiki Blue, and Einstein is next to Lyra.  The link is an entire page to the rear so rather than get sarcastic:
https://www.fastaudio.com/workspace/media/downloads/pdf-auf-die-spitze-getrieben_stp_04_14_046_054.pdf

I'm afraid, without David Dlaloum to steer, we're a rudderless ship.  David has more important things to do.  We'll just have to muddle through. 
I relapsed the other day.  I wonder if the compulsion to smoke ever goes away.  I've heard stories of people smoking after being clean for 10 years or more.  Most people don't realize that smoking is the strongest addiction in the arsenal of substances.  At the methadone clinic they say it's one day at a time, but with smoking it's one hour at a time.  I kid you not. 

I think it's a good idea to discourage smoking, but raising the price to a million dollars a pack to fund incompetence, is punishing the victims.  It's legal to smoke and the first cigg is cheap ($0.50), and once you're hooked it leaves you broke and in poor health.  Think about it.  Our governments are dope dealers profiting on the misery of victims. 
neo