I am FINALLY beginning to listen to classical music..

Infidel

Hi guys. I finally have my system to a point that it is up to the task of playing classical music. I was using Audio Nirvana AN15 Alinco drivers which much like Quad 57's have their niche, but I just couldn't listen to classical with them. It was a listening fatigue issue. Sooooo, I bought some Revel 228? speakers, bypassed all the caps for the mid and high frequencies, and they are now reasonably listenable, in fact, they are not Focals, but they actually sound pretty good. Anyway, it's Vivaldi's 4 seasons tonight. Thanks for all your recommendations. I'll be slowly checking them out in the months to come. I just happened to have Vivaldi, and alphabetically Anthony was the first selection in the few classical recordings I have, and I am pretty sure that he was recommended. It's a good thing that I don't have anything bright in my system, Vivaldi on a bright system would be like fingernails on a chalk board. As it is, it sounds pretty good! Thanks again.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: I am FINALLY beginning to listen to classical music..
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2023, 02:49 am »
Nice man!  I've had similar experiences when I was moving up the hifi chain.  Classical music was the most demanding when it came to overall system tonality. 

Enjoy the ride!  Maybe update this thread as you find certain works and certain composers that you really like.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2023, 04:26 pm »
  So much great music to listen to. Classical full orchestral music demands a full range system with scale. Look for Fiesta.

charles

Infidel

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2023, 07:40 pm »
Nice man!  I've had similar experiences when I was moving up the hifi chain.  Classical music was the most demanding when it came to overall system tonality. 

Enjoy the ride!  Maybe update this thread as you find certain works and certain composers that you really like.

Thanks, good full range drivers are hard to beat for much music, and even the Revels were marginal before adding ODAMs, to the mids, and Duelund JDMs for the tweeters. I also bypassed all the electrolytics with decent poly caps. It makes you wonder what is possible with air core coils and better resistors, but that's a bridge too far. I just don't enjoy doing mods these days. I am pretty content with the speakers as is. Though I do have a pair of Caladans on order...

Anyway, the idea  of course is to get the gear out of the way of the music. The orchestra has enough instruments already, I don't need to mess it up with colored gear. ;-)

I am going to have to investigate streaming services, I already have enough CDs consuming space.

Thanks again,

Lou

Infidel

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2023, 07:41 pm »
  So much great music to listen to. Classical full orchestral music demands a full range system with scale. Look for Fiesta.

charles

Thanks, I will!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2023, 04:16 am »
I was using Audio Nirvana AN15 Alinco drivers which much like Quad 57's have their niche, but I just couldn't listen to classical with them. It was a listening fatigue issue.
In my experience with FR drivers, they need a SET tube amp with zero NFB to sound good(mainly the Alnicos) as the magnet interacts with the amp OPTs, dont use UL tube amps also.

The listening fatigue also can come from the inadequate internal treatment of the box which did not attenuate the treble usually above 1kHz.

Infidel

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2023, 05:23 am »
Oops, Revel Performa3 F208 speakers. They reportedly had 100 hours use when I purchased them, I probably put a few more on before surgery. The new caps probably have 10 hours on them. Checked out a little Bach but have been pretty busy lately.

Infidel

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2023, 03:58 pm »
In my experience with FR drivers, they need a SET tube amp with zero NFB to sound good(mainly the Alnicos) as the magnet interacts with the amp OPTs, dont use UL tube amps also.

The listening fatigue also can come from the inadequate internal treatment of the box which did not attenuate the treble usually above 1kHz.

The AN15 Alinco drivers didn't go above 15k Hz, so they just didn't image well, and were slightly lacking in lower frequencies. One things like pop music, 1940's - 2000+ they were pretty awesome. They were the first drivers that ever gave me that so and so was singing in my room sound. So yes, they were awesome and I used them longer than any other speakers I ever had. They were being driven by either a completely rebuilt, meaning no carbon resistors, Black Gates on the driver boards, Mills emitter resistors on the output, rebiasd so that it was class A biased at higher outputs, and had more total output. I did the drivers and emitter transistors, but it was cheaper to pay Jon Soderberg to replace the output transistors than it would have been to have bought enough transistors to get a matched set. Jon buys them in mass, and then separated them into matched batches. Besides, I was concerned about oscillations, and Jon is a Stasis guru. He did say that when done it was the best sounding Stasis amp he had ever heard. Then there was the ML 27.5, and a Parasound JC5 Halo, as well as a Valves4hifi kt88 amp. Not the magic of some amps, but all are pretty respectable. The only treble issues were when I was using a Schitt Yggdrasil. Kokomo is my go to for testing brightness, and on most music the Yggdrasil OG is pretty respectable, but on a few songs, it can be bright. The modified Lampizator, stock the Amber 4's ability is being masked, I suspect that they wanted to sell at a lower price point without making a DAC people can be truly content with driving them to eventually upgrade, but we know about opinions and speculations. Anyway, the digital section was identical to other more expensive models, so the analog masked its true potential. With the 2 DS2 preamps, I kept up with the upgrades to the early version, and with the final version, Don used ODAM coupling caps, but they fall short a hair in the treble region, so I bypassed them with CuTF V-Caps, and as configured it is a wildly transparent preamp.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2023, 05:26 am »
The only treble issues were when I was using a Schitt Yggdrasil.
Was not this prob a bad recording?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2023, 05:34 am »
Your AN-15Alnico are Classic or Super?
https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an15alnicospecs.jpg

The current AN15 Ferrite $695/pair has no bass under 100Hz
seems it was made to match the AN active Sub $499/each.
https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an15cfspecs.jpg

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2023, 06:17 am »