Schubert's 8th Unfinished

Mag

Schubert's 8th Unfinished
« on: 22 Jun 2023, 09:50 pm »
 I'm not really into Classical Music, but there are a few Symphonies that I have listened to that I like.
Schubert's 8th Unfinished is one them. Not just any version as I have listened to a few and they don't do it for me, but this one.

Now what happened is I use to have the vinyl LP which I liked listening to, helped me to fall asleep. I lent it to a friend as he was interested in listening to it as well. However his place had a fire and I never got it back.

Only recently found the correct version on Amazon and have it Saved to Playlist.

What do you think of this Version? For me its the only one I'll listen too. :inlove:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Schubert's 8th Unfinished
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2023, 11:33 pm »
Iam not used with Szell but he was consistent and do a nice job in the Cleveland Orch., he is from the conservative branch of conductors as Reiner, Klemperer, Toscanini, Karl Böhm, Bruno Walter etc, but Furtwängler and Solti were great, I usually wouid prefer Karajan, Maazel, Abbado, Kleiber, Haitink, Ozawa, Mravinsky, Neeme Järvi, and some others from the new crops of regents as Chailly, Manze etc.

If you like historical renditions see Harnoncourt 1929-2016.
RIP

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2023, 12:10 am »
I am actually a big fan of Szell, all his recordings are worth hearing. 

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2023, 12:42 pm »
I like this version from 1955

In high school I was in a local youth symphony orchestra, and one year they played this. The volunteer conductor was assistant concertmaster in BSO. There wasn't much of a trumpet part, just a couple of whole notes as I remember, but I enjoyed listening to him teach the string players about Schubert and how to interpret this piece. He would spend hours on one 8 bar passage, but he was teaching more than just the notes; and there was far more to learn than we could comprehend at that age.

kmmd

• My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2023, 04:31 pm »
I’m sorry to read about your lost LP.  Here is my copy of Schubert’s 8th.  It’s not the best recording though.