Amp question

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Amp question
« on: 9 Jan 2014, 05:08 pm »
Over the past year I've been putting together a modest hi-fi system and I've primarily been purchasing used equipment. I'm currently listening to a pair of songtowers through a peachtree nova (1st gen, 80wpc class d). I primarily stream through an apple tv and for christmas found a project debut carbon and used bellari vp130 tube phone preamp as I'm interested in slowly building a modest vinyl collection. I'm very pleased with the sound of my system. However, I often poke around loooking for an amp to bypass the peachtree's integrated class d. I just came across a local store selling a used Rotel RB980 (120 wpc, class ab) for $150 and a used Rotel RB990 (200 wpc, class ab) for $300. I'm not sure of the condition of these amps, but I'm assuming they're ok or the store wouldn't be selling them, however I would check them out if I purchase. I'm just wondering if anyone here thinks either of these amps would make a significant improvement in sound over the peachtree's amp? And, would it be worth doubling the price to go to the RB990 vs the RB980? Thanks for the input.

Big Red Machine

Re: Amp question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2014, 05:26 pm »
I don't think the Rotel will be better, and may in fact sound worse, than the Peachtree.  But if you're okay with taking the chance with your $300, then you might jump on it to see what results you get.  I am an advocate for more power, but Rotel would not be a name I was attracted to for that.  Have you perused Audiogon?

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2014, 05:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply. yes, I check audiogon frequently. I've probably purchased 75% of my system through audiogon. I'd really love to find a used Odyssey Khartago amp, but those aren't available often.

SCompRacer

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2014, 06:32 pm »
I agree with Red and also advocate more power to cover transients and my occasional visits to high volume. I've recently tried some different amps including Class D, AB and A and find an improvement with good design AB/A. Audio is highly subjective so your mileage may vary. Just ensure whatever amp you try is rated for 4 Ohms speakers like you have. Fairly sure the amps you mentioned are good with 4 ohm speakers. I've owned some older Rotels (still have a RB 985 MK II 5 channel amp for my 4 ohm surround speakers) and recall distortion increasing to near audible levels in the specs with higher output 4 ohm versus 8 ohm loading.

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2014, 07:36 pm »
Agree with all comment above. I used to own Rotel RMB1095, while the amp was good with ton of power. It is also a bit dry and lack of depth to my taste. Save your money and buy a real good amp is a safer bet.

MichiganMike

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2014, 12:21 am »
My guess is either of these Rotel amps, if in good condition, may be an upgrade relative to the Peachtree amp, but you may enjoy an even greater difference by saving for an amp a little more upscale and newer.

I have owned several Rotel amps in the past, including Rotel 980BX, 981 and 993.  All of these amps were purchased used and resold after a few years for >80% of my investment.  In my opinion, Rotel makes nice sounding, reliable amps, but there may be better choices if you are patient.  I eventually replaced the Rotel 981 amp with a Parasound Halo A23, which to my ears was a noticeable improvement in driving my SongTowers.

Also consider that the Rotel 980 and 990 amps are now 15 to 20 years old.  http://www.rotel.com/NA/Products/ProductArchives.htm  These amps are reaching an age where capacitors and certain other components may fail or degrade sound quality.  This is a greater concern if the prior owner operated these amps for prolonged periods without adequate cooling/ventilation or at high ambient temperatures.   

My expectation is that unless you play your system at very loud levels, you will not hear much difference between a Rotel 980 and Rotel 990 (assuming both are in good condition) driving your SongTowers.  Also, you are more likely to be able to recover more of your investment buying a good condition 980 for half the price of a good condition 990, if you trade-up in the future. 

If you could take an amp on approval or buy it with a right to return or exchange the amp in a few days, this may be an even better option.

YMMV.