Gain mis-match between phono and spdif 1-2 on BP-26.

masi61

I'm having some issues sorting my new BP-2 mm phono stage. I am still having a hum issue which I have yet to resolve.

But now I would like to ask about gain. I notice that the BP2-MM has 41 db of gain. I have the RCA interconnects connected into one of the "aux" inputs. I have to turn the volume level up to nearly the 12 o'clock position on my BP-26 to really fill the room with sound. My digital sources (iPod dock, SPDIF 1 and CD player SPDIF2) into my Bryston DAC into "balanced 1" input is much louder. I have accidentally forgotten to turn down the volume switching from the aux input to this balanced 1 input and it was so loud I feared I could damage my loudspeakers.

Is there anything I can do to match the gain? Thanks for any help.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Gain mis-match between phono and spdif 1-2 on BP-26.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2020, 10:14 pm »
I'm having some issues sorting my new BP-2 mm phono stage. I am still having a hum issue which I have yet to resolve.

But now I would like to ask about gain. I notice that the BP2-MM has 41 db of gain. I have the RCA interconnects connected into one of the "aux" inputs. I have to turn the volume level up to nearly the 12 o'clock position on my BP-26 to really fill the room with sound. My digital sources (iPod dock, SPDIF 1 and CD player SPDIF2) into my Bryston DAC into "balanced 1" input is much louder. I have accidentally forgotten to turn down the volume switching from the aux input to this balanced 1 input and it was so loud I feared I could damage my loudspeakers.

Is there anything I can do to match the gain? Thanks for any help.

Hi

What is the voltage out from your cartridge?

james

masi61

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:02 am »
Linn K9 mm cartridge. Quick google search of voltage output says 4.5 mV.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:11 am »
Linn K9 mm cartridge. Quick google search of voltage output says 4.5 mV.

That seems more than adequate

It seems strange that there would be that big a difference.  Could you try another cartridge just to eliminate low output from the K9?

james

masi61

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:13 pm »
Thanks for your reply James. I’m taking my Linn LP12 turntable in for an overhaul later this month. I’m starting to get the feeling that there is a connection between the low gain and the hum that I haven’t figured out how to get rid of yet.

Is it possible to test the right and left RCA interconnects out of the turntable to get a real world reading of the actual mV output? My turntable is 35 years old, I purchased a new tonearm cable and I hope to try a different cartridge.

The Bryston MM phono stage is dead quiet when the turntable leads are disconnected. Even with the hum issue, I can already hear the signature Bryston Sound - tons of low end grip, great detail, etc...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:41 pm »
Thanks for your reply James. I’m taking my Linn LP12 turntable in for an overhaul later this month. I’m starting to get the feeling that there is a connection between the low gain and the hum that I haven’t figured out how to get rid of yet.

Is it possible to test the right and left RCA interconnects out of the turntable to get a real world reading of the actual mV output? My turntable is 35 years old, I purchased a new tonearm cable and I hope to try a different cartridge.

The Bryston MM phono stage is dead quiet when the turntable leads are disconnected. Even with the hum issue, I can already hear the signature Bryston Sound - tons of low end grip, great detail, etc...

Email Mike and ask about a way to measure the output from the cartridge - mpickett@bryston.com

james