DAC-9 zero gain volume

paulee

DAC-9 zero gain volume
« on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:19 pm »
Hi,

I've just got the DAC-9. Before that I had an AVR connected with stereo preout to 2 Nuforce REF9 V3SS's. Now I go from Sonos Connect optical->DAC-9->REF9->Speakers for stereo listening. For Home theater I go AVR preout->DAC-9->REF9->Stereo Speakers, while the AVR go to center/surround speakers directly. With the previous solution(not using the DAC-9), the calibration on the AVR had to reduce the volume on my center/surround speakers by 7 dB. Now going through the DAC-9, the calibration increases the volume on the center/surround speakers by 6 dB to get equal volume. I have the DAC-9 on A5 input, with volume at 94 (which is suggested on the info page about the DAC-9 on the nuprimeaudio site.) - This is weird as I thought that volume 94 would be 0 gain?

Is it volume 81 (94 -13) that is 0 gain?  (13 is the difference in dB going through the DAC or not). Does this affect the quality of the sound in home theater much? Is this the correct way to set it up, would really appreciate input here.

I use XLR balanced out from the DAC-9 to REF9, while before when going directly from AVR to REF9's I used RCA.
The AVR is a Yamaha RX-A1020.

from the nuprimeaudio site:

"Individually adjustable volume on each input for precise level matching of sources. If DAC-9 is connected to another preamp or home theater AVP, set the volume @ 94, which is 0dB."

Paul

John Casler

Re: DAC-9 zero gain volume
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2016, 03:26 pm »
Sounds like the difference is due to using XLR rather than RCA

paulee

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:29 pm »
Thanks, that would explain it - read up on it, and it says several places that usually XLR is +4, while RCA is -10 (which makes for ~14 DB difference which is what I see.)

Nidri17

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2016, 04:03 pm »

So then to achieve unity gain on XLR out the volume should be set to 80?

I wonder if the volume control is 'audible'? I.e. Is it as good/clear as a traditional bypass mode.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2016, 05:33 am »
Thanks, that would explain it - read up on it, and it says several places that usually XLR is +4, while RCA is -10 (which makes for ~14 DB difference which is what I see.)

Actually the scales are different...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

I think it works out to more like a relative 12dB difference...