Who has tried HiFi Tuning fuses in their Bryston amps?

Waker

I am very impressed with HiFi Tuning ceramic/gold fuses for the midrange and tweeter in my Magnepan 3.6Rs--more clarity, more air. After careful listening, I stand by this assessment.  Now I am wondering what they would do, if anything, in my 7BSST-2 amps.  Has anyone tried them or another make of fuse, and what are your results?  Using them in the speakers, at the end of the signal path, seems to make more sense.  The tiny filaments in the stock fuses appear as a final obstruction to all that power and finesse.  The better fuses act more like a straight wire while still providing protection.  Can stock fuses within the amps act in a similar way to constrict energy at some point?
And, can someone please provide the sizes, amperage ratings and whether they are slow/fast blow?  I want to duplicate all values.  James, would you have any further advice/warnings on this idea?           

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Who has tried HiFi Tuning fuses in their Bryston amps?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:03 am »
I am very impressed with HiFi Tuning ceramic/gold fuses for the midrange and tweeter in my Magnepan 3.6Rs--more clarity, more air. After careful listening, I stand by this assessment.  Now I am wondering what they would do, if anything, in my 7BSST-2 amps.  Has anyone tried them or another make of fuse, and what are your results?  Using them in the speakers, at the end of the signal path, seems to make more sense.  The tiny filaments in the stock fuses appear as a final obstruction to all that power and finesse.  The better fuses act more like a straight wire while still providing protection.  Can stock fuses within the amps act in a similar way to constrict energy at some point?
And, can someone please provide the sizes, amperage ratings and whether they are slow/fast blow?  I want to duplicate all values.  James, would you have any further advice/warnings on this idea?           

Hi,

Just be sure the fuse ratings are the same.

james

whanafi

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2010, 06:32 pm »
Or you could leave the perfectly fine fuses that ship with the unit in place, and use the money to buy some music.

Waker

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2010, 08:09 pm »
use the money to buy some music

Whanafi, I see you are no fan of fuse tweaks---on what basis?  I am looking for reports of fuse trials in amps based on real-world experience--that is, from listeners who have actually tried them.     

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2010, 08:17 pm »
Oh oh.... tweak debate.
I agree fuses in the power supply rails might possibly make a difference for some users.
I too have Magnepan 3.6's with upscale fuses in the mid and tweet fuse holders. I also added the small choke recommended in the treble attenuation slot.
But I will hold off on the fuses in my 4B-SST2 amp for now.
Hard to say if they really can make a difference without actually trying them.
With the 7B's since you have two amps.. you COULD put them in one and compare and let us all know how it sounds with and without.

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2010, 08:52 pm »
Whanafi, I see you are no fan of fuse tweaks---on what basis?  I am looking for reports of fuse trials in amps based on real-world experience--that is, from listeners who have actually tried them.   

Careful Waker.  Your post implies that Whanafi has not auditioned fuses and is posting out of ignorance.  I've seen it happen too often that this assumption is most often the start of a thread killing conflagration .  I can't imagine that you would want to do that to your own thread :D.

Regards,

Bill

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2010, 09:16 pm »
I didn't realize that Bryston amps had fuses,I know there is the breaker on the back :o.

drew54

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2010, 09:29 pm »
Kind of makes sense for the Maggies- the fuses are right in the signal path, part of the speaker wiring.  If the amp fuses are also in line with the speaker wire (I'm in the dark on this one, but it kind of makes sense), then if you're concerned about the quality of your speaker wire, you may also be concerned about the quality of the fuses.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2010, 09:31 pm »
Best test is straight wire vs a fuse.

james

TomW16

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2010, 09:42 pm »
Best test is straight wire vs a fuse.

james

What wire though  :lol:

My apologies, I couldn't help myself.

Tom

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2010, 10:00 pm »
What wire though  :lol:

My apologies, I couldn't help myself.

Tom

Hi Tom - good one  :lol:

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm »
I guess all bryston amps have fuses,sq,sst ect.
Surprized my 28 manual says NOTHING about fuses,just the magnetic breaker on the back

Waker

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:27 pm »
James, you are not suggesting I put a wire in my 7s?  :lol:
I have seen a pic of a soldered bypass wire on a fuse for the Maggies. I am just not into that. 
How many fuses are in a 7B? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2010, 11:38 pm »
I will check on the fuse number tomorrow for you. I think the model number tells you how many fuses :D

James

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2010, 12:19 am »
That's not funny  :o

Damn, I never thought to check on the fuses when my 4B came back from being recapped, I have no idea how old they are, and the amp will be 30 next June.

Maybe I should pull them for fresh just to be safe, and put what's in there aside as emergency backups.  :scratch:

. I think the model number tells you how many fuses :D
James

Waker

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:04 am »
I will check on the fuse number tomorrow for you.
Thanks James--now I want to make this tweak.  Just curious, is there a history within Bryston of testing amps without the final fused path that is placed in consumer amps?   

sfraser

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2010, 03:47 am »
I find wrapping the fuse in good quality tin foil really improves things . :duh:

srb

« Reply #17 on: 16 Sep 2010, 05:05 am »
James,

Is the Bryston warranty still valid if boutique audio fuses are used that have no safety testing or approval with any of the electrical testing agencies (UL, CSA, TUV, CE, etc.)?

Steve

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #18 on: 16 Sep 2010, 06:00 am »
James,

Is the Bryston warranty still valid if boutique audio fuses are used that have no safety testing or approval with any of the electrical testing agencies (UL, CSA, TUV, CE, etc.)?

Steve

Good question!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2010, 10:31 am »
Hi,

SST SQ versions of the 4B has 1 fuse the 7B's have NO fuses.  28B's NO fuses, 3B - 1 fuse, 2B LP - 2 fuses, 2B SST - 1 fuse, 9B - 2 fuses per channel, 6B - 2 fuses per channel.

All fuses are on the AC power side only and are NOT in series with the audio circuit path.

James
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2010, 02:24 pm by James Tanner »