AVA For Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 Speakers

audiomaniac

AVA For Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 Speakers
« on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:44 am »
Hello All,

I'm wondering about AVA gear that would match up well with my new Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 Monitor Speakers. They have a nice RAAL ribbon tweeter and are rated at ~87db with a 6 ohm minimum impedance. They have a nice sweet sound and I have a small basement near field setup sitting about 11 feet away from them. Ascend recommends a minimum of 45 watts so I wonder if an Ultravalve tube amp would have enough juice for them. Does an Ultravalve have a chance with these? They do like current.

BTW, I had the pleasure of meeting Frank at RMAF in Denver a couple of years ago I believe, which was a real kick! :D I missed him last year!

Thanks,

John

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
Re: AVA For Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:44 pm »
I have an Ultravalve running B&W Matrix 801's Series II @87 db.  I am using the 8 ohm taps.  Volume is not a problem.  With 6 ohm speakers, I would try both the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps and use the taps you like more.  I highly recommend the Ultravalve.

FYI, I built my Ultravalve in 2010 while working for Frank.  I retired at the end of 2014, but Frank and I remain good friends.

Regards,
Dean

audiomaniac

Re: AVA For Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:56 pm »
Thanks Dean.

John