Classical on Maggies

ajzepp

Classical on Maggies
« on: 11 Dec 2018, 01:18 pm »
I'm exploring different genres of music that I'm less familiar with, and this morning there's been a very stark contrast. Im listening to this guy Ottmar Liebert, and I dont know if I've ever heard anything BETTER on the Magnepans than this guy. It's like Nils Lofgren quality good. Then I go to fire up some classical tracks (which in all honesty, I never do) and they all sound far less dynamic and the volume seems lower. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but given the scope of classical music (meaning the size of the orchestra and the ground that the mics have to cover), is it generally lower in volume? Or did I just happen to pick a selection of five tracks from various artists that all sounded subdued and distant? Are there any specific classical records you guys use as a reference for the Maggies that you can suggest?

Thanks

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Classical on Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2018, 04:17 pm »
The problem of COMPRESSION. Classical music usually has less compression than any ther form of music. And yes that means it may seem to be at a lower volume. Since unlike most other music the low levels are not as boosted artificially.
I find that a lot of Cassical music the lowest sounds, like a single instrument may be lower in level than I like, but I am not gonna turn it up since the loudest will be too loud.
If this is something that bothers you, buy a musician's compressor. It will squeeze the dynamic range for you.
In general I would suggest NOT starting with big orchestral things. Most newbies want to try a Symphony. or Concerto ... no... Try listening to quartets. Way more like other forms of music. four guys working together. Way more like Rock or Jazz. And it should solve you complaint about dynamic range.
Many composers quartets are masterpieces. Beethoven, Schubert for starters..

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2018, 05:04 pm »
I listen to a lot of classical on my Maggies, and most classical recordings I have sound universally good. Most classical recordings are recorded in such a way as to reproduce a live musical event, which would include as much of the dynamic swings of the orchestra as possible.

As Elizabeth stated, classical music is recorded with little compression, so the recordings will sound quieter, overall. But that is a necessity in classical music in order to encompass the complete dynamic range of classical music.

Much of the dramatic contrasts of classical music, are created by dynamic swings. If classical music was recorded with more compression, it would lose much of its dramatic tension. The quiet parts will be much more quiet than other forms of music, and the louder parts will be much more loud in comparison to the quiet parts, compared to other forms of music.

As an example, the violins at the beginning of Joan Tower's  "Concerto for Orchestra" begin out of absolute dead quiet background, but later, the piece is at fortissimo. The piece has immense power because of this. If the recording was compressed in order to sound louder overall, it would lose all that power and sound anemic.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2018, 05:56 pm »
I am sure I am biased as a past violinist, but I always enjoyed Vivaldi's 4 seasons on my 1.6's when I owned them.

But things that sounded best?  Sax driven jazz like Cannonball Adderley or Sonny Rollins.  That was the stuff I leaned hard into during my time with Maggies.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2018, 08:11 pm »
I found adding a sub (actually 2  subs) to my 1.6's really enhanced my enjoyment of Classical music.  I am not an expert on Classical music and have about a dozen Cd's but I have found that Telarc recordings to be excellent.

Music recorded at a lower volume preserves the dynamic range, you just need to turn up the volume to appreciate it.  All of the Blue
Coast music is recorded that way and it sounds great.  It does not sound flat when turned up.

I agree with Elizabeth, quartets are a good way to go with Classical if just starting out.  The recordings are usually better and more intimate.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm »
Thanks everyone...guess that explains it!  :thumb: