Magnepan 30.7 might be the best speakers I've ever heard

Maceo23

I had the good fortune to spend a few hours with the new Magnepan 30.7 prototypes last night.  To say that I was impressed is an absolute understatement.  They blew me away.  They just seem to do everything right.  They are currently on a 31 stop cross country tour.  I would advise everyone who is fortunate enough to have a demo near them, make it a point to check them out. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Magnepan 30.7 might be the best speakers I've ever heard
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2018, 02:17 pm »
   Another great speaker from a respected manufacturer. A real manufacturer. They need lots of space but if you it and the scratch go listen.

charles

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2018, 05:53 pm »
I heard them a couple of months ago when they were at a Los Angeles dealer.

I was very impressed.

While I can't say they are the best speaker I've ever heard, they are certainly way up there.

And yes, despite their $30K price tag, they may be one of the best bargains in high end audio. You would have to spend quite a bit more to get equal quality.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2018, 08:00 pm »
  If interested in Planars one should hear Analysis Omega  with outboard Duelund CAST crossovers or higher model with sub panels as well. 30K list.
  As you stated Simoon one would have to spend lots more which not even be worth the difference in money spent. Yes they are a deal.

charles

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2018, 09:17 pm »
^ Those are tremendous speakers Charles. I haven't heard the Magnepans yet but it would most likely be love at first listen. And if I had the cheddar, it would be a tough decision choosing between the Magnepans, the Analyses speakers and Sound Labs.

-Dieter

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2018, 06:39 pm »
^ Those are tremendous speakers Charles. I haven't heard the Magnepans yet but it would most likely be love at first listen. And if I had the cheddar, it would be a tough decision choosing between the Magnepans, the Analyses speakers and Sound Labs.

-Dieter

Dieter wow we like the same panel speakers. You nailed it for panels. Analysis, Magnepan and Sound Labs. The room is key to your choice.

charles

H2OAUDIO

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2018, 11:25 pm »
Rollo,

Yep, They were being demoed last Wednesday here in Houston Texas.  Magnepan were the very speakers got me hooked on the planar ever since. I used to own the Typani 1D. Too bad I couldn't get out of work early so missed the opportunity to hear them.  I am wondering how they would stack up against the Queen of Planar... Apogee Divas? I have heard the Analysis, though very good but not quite the Apogees.

Henry

Maceo23

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2018, 12:43 pm »
I've always liked Magnepan, but its never been a speaker I've lusted after.  While they've always been impressive, I've never said to myself "I wish I could own that speaker."  The 30's are a different animal in my opinion.  Mated to the VTL Seigfreids, a match made in heaven.  We played around with a couple of other high end SS amplifier, and the magic wasn't there, but with the VTL's, simply stunning.  Henry, they are still at Timbre until the end of the week if you want to swing by and check them out.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2018, 04:01 pm »
What solid state amps did you try?

Maceo23

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2018, 09:37 pm »
Gryphon

H2OAUDIO

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2018, 10:59 pm »
Hi Charles,

That is great news and thanks for the updates.  I am wondering if I have to make an appointment to have a listen.  Do you know?

Henry

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2018, 11:55 pm »
I'm looking forward to the tour but I'm very familiar with Magnepans and big VTLs (although not quite Seigfreid big).

Maceo23

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2018, 12:57 pm »
Hey Henry,
I think your question was aimed at me, not Charles.  Timbre is by appointment, but they're there most days.  Give them a ring, I'm sure they'd love to give you a demo.