How Does a Tube DAC Impact Presentation Characteristics?

Kshen888

Hi All,

I am trying to 'tame' my system a bit and wondering if a Tube DAC would be the way to go?

my current main system is Dynaudio S5.4 Mains, Pass Labs x250.8, Simaudio P8 Preamp, Aurender ACS10 Music Server, and a Denafrips Venus II 12th DAC.

I find this system to just be a little too 'edgy'. I have tried swapping out the Simaudio with a Pass Labs XP20, and the difference is night and day! the Pass has a wide holographic sweet sound that is easy to listen to for days and days....but it lacks the low end control and detail of the Simaudio...where the Simaudio lacks the wide holographic sound stage and can get fatiguing after a bit.

The low end grip and slam of the Simaudio was really surprising, and i love the detail it provides but I also want the wide, holographic sound stage and non-fatiguing presentation the Pass offers, so im wondering if a put a tube DAC in the mix if it would give me the wide holographic sound stage of the Pass with all the low end control and detail of the Simaudio?

thanks!

qdrone

Re: How Does a Tube DAC Impact Presentation Characteristics?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2023, 03:50 pm »
Could be the cables your using. A tube DAC usually have all the things your looking for,they tend to round off the shrill or hardness in its presentation. Then there is tube rolling so you can match your DAC to your system characteristics. I use a 54ug in my DAC, the 54rgys was to harsh in my system.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2023, 04:43 pm »
I will never have a system without a tubed DAC for exactly this reason.  Systems with SS DACs usually sound edgy to me.  Some worse than others. 

Try the iFi iDSD Pro, it's a great tubed DAC especially for the $$.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2023, 06:43 pm »
A true non-oversampling DAC will tame a system. I never heard a LampizatOr but can highly recommend:

HoloAudio May KTE which in my opinion is perfect, but that is because I use HQPlayer to upsample to DSD256 (really takes the edge off with no downside)
There is one in the Trading Post: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=187486.msg1965459#new

ANK (Audio Note) 5.1 Signature. I had my doubts regarding this DAC but two of my buddies have this DAC and it does make beautiful music on both the Nola Metro Grand Reference speakers and Magnepan 1.7i speakers. Available as a kit or assembled, my friends built theirs with many resistor and cap upgrades.
https://ankaudiokits.com/product/dac-5-1-signature/

Does the Venus upsample? Upsampled PCM is not my favorite sound with the Salk HT2-TL speakers. Both the Denafrips Terminator Plus and Pontus 2 12th Anniversary upsample in the background confirmed by measurements in Stereophile and GoldenSound.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186856.msg1963593#msg1963593
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185525.msg1945439#msg1945439

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2023, 07:09 pm »
Or you can sign up for the

Hapa 3 year Anniversary Ember Tour and Giveaway

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=187097.0

Hapa cables can tame your system (if you want them too), increase clarity, are even more holographic and save money instead of buying a new DAC.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2023, 11:13 pm »
Hi All,

I am trying to 'tame' my system a bit and wondering if a Tube DAC would be the way to go?

my current main system is Dynaudio S5.4 Mains, Pass Labs x250.8, Simaudio P8 Preamp, Aurender ACS10 Music Server, and a Denafrips Venus II 12th DAC.

I used to own the Venus II DAC and upgraded to the Terminator II, then swapped it out for a Lampizator tube DAC. No contest. The Lampi sounded better than the Terminator in every way, especially in diminishing the edgy sound you mentioned. However, good tube gear is expensive, and good tubes are outrageously high. There are plenty of other ways to decrease edginess such as cables, power conditioning, placement, and speaker choice.

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2023, 03:28 pm »
A tube Dac will help but it all starts with your speakers. I went through the same process you are going through now and it took me years to get it alls sorted out. 

Have you ever heard your speakers in a  system that you loved ?  I switched from low efficiency box speakers to high efficiency speakers and then to open baffle. I used to have to have tubes everywhere to tame those unwanted highs and shrills.  Now with open baffle I don’t have any tubes for the first time ever and prefer my system over those I had years ago with all tubes from Pre to Dac to amp.  I wouldn’t mind tubes again, but just got tired of the cost of tubes as I prefer to leave my system on for use 18 hours a day.

I know it’s easier to switch Dacs than speakers, but you might wanna demo some newer options if you’re not happy with your sound …….

If you just wanna try tubes, MHDT makes fine dacs at low costs and high reliability.  The Orchid is a great choice. 

Lampizator makes great tube DACs too as mentioned.

The other big item not mentioned is your room and it’s interactions with your speakers as those big box speakers may benefit massively from room treatments. 

Best of luck. 

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:06 pm »
I agree with MorganC. Ideally, speakers should be tailored for your ears and your room. I purposely designed my speakers with a tweeter that drops off steeply in the highs because I'm sensitive to them. I also echo the OB sentiment.

jtcf

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2023, 04:11 pm »
Early B makes a good point.Finding system synergy often involves tweaking speaker positions, room reflections, vibration control, and cabling.I haven't heard the Lampi, but have read quite a bit posted by owners,some of whom found it too analytical in their setups. Others of course absolutely love it.
 I have an Audio Mirror Tubadour lll dac and recently auditioned a Denafrips Pontus ll here at home to compare directly.What I heard was if the source material was edgy it remained so,but it wasn't worse.The Pontus was so quiet (jitter free?) that I was delighted to hear deep into the recordings,cleaner detail, nuance, natural timbres. The old "like looking through a cleaner window" description.But I also have a tube amp and preamp so the tube goodness is there on the backside.It remains a work in progress to sweeten the occasional harsh upper mids.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2023, 05:24 pm »
Early B makes a good point.Finding system synergy often involves tweaking speaker positions, room reflections, vibration control, and cabling.I haven't heard the Lampi, but have read quite a bit posted by owners,some of whom found it too analytical in their setups. Others of course absolutely love it.
 I have an Audio Mirror Tubadour lll dac and recently auditioned a Denafrips Pontus ll here at home to compare directly.What I heard was if the source material was edgy it remained so,but it wasn't worse.The Pontus was so quiet (jitter free?) that I was delighted to hear deep into the recordings,cleaner detail, nuance, natural timbres. The old "like looking through a cleaner window" description.But I also have a tube amp and preamp so the tube goodness is there on the backside.It remains a work in progress to sweeten the occasional harsh upper mids.

A lot depends on the tubes. Recently, I got hold of some expensive power tubes (expensive to me is $1K+ per pair) and I played the brightest music I own. I was shocked at how much difference the tube choice made in eliminating the harshness.

P.S. -- if you think the Pontus is good, grab a Terminator.     

jtcf

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2023, 09:37 pm »
Tube choice is definitely important.I've been trying to find new production tubes that sound good so as not to rely on NOS so much. Power tubes are horribly expensive right now :cry: