Autocross Anyone?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Autocross Anyone?
« on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:56 pm »
Many years ago (I'm old) I autocrossed  a couple of different street cars. My life path went new directions and sports cars weren't much a part of it. Fast forward 25 years or so and between my wife and I we own 2 pickups and an SUV.

For the last few years, I've thought I'd like to get back into it, but really didn't think I wanted to do it in a street car. Nosing around on eBay one day and this crossed my path and, well, I bought it! Conceived as a less expensive alternative to road racing Formula Fords and such, it's VW powered and unlike anything I've driven. More go-kart than car, it seems to me, but I'm enjoying finding limits, both mine and the car.

Any other autocrossers here?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Autocross Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2019, 04:25 pm »
I went to my 1st event this Saturday.

It was "SpeedTrain"...  in the morning they had 3 events, slalam, skidpad and triangle. They had a few instructors for each group, and probably 12 cars per group. Half the group ran while the other half worked setting up knocked-down cones, so we had some very good instruction. In the afternoon there was a short ~35 sec course, which was a ton of fun, and those who wanted or needed the help got instructors riding along. I needed all the help I could get!  :green:

I'll probably sign up for a real race on Aug 4th. My car is A-Street, it's a Camaro SS 1LE, it drives like a big go-cart but I'm not sure it's gonna beat Porsche Caymans, Lotus, etc. in a tight auto-x course! Should prolly be classed B-Street but I don't care that much, I'm not in it for the results or to go to nationals. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:27 pm »
Nice wheels Peter.  :thumb:  Did my 1st in high school in my '60 Karmann Ghia on a banked 1/8 mile oval. Was hooked for years, even going on to do some club racing in G Production, though haven't dabbled in 30 some odd years. Had a friend that ran a Formula V, and an acquaintance with a Formula Ford. They are a totally different animal from closed wheel beasts. If you enjoy speed it's hard to find more fun in a safe environment.

I remember the feeling Dave. I autocrossed my '62 TR4, but in my class had to compete against a local Lotus Super 7. Roughly same engine size, but about half the weight, and as close to an open wheeled car as you could get without being one at the time. But the driver is always an equalizing factor, one just has to make the fewest mistakes.

I'd like to do it again, even at my advanced age. Guess I'd better do some homework on local clubs. Have fun guys, and be safe.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2019, 03:23 pm »
I'm surprised there's not more folks here giving it a whirl. Given the current crop of performance cars available and relative safety and low cost of autocrossing, I would have guessed differently.

Dave, my car is also hopelessly outclassed where in lands  via SCCA rulebook... A-mod. But, like you, I'm just a  local guy looking for some fun and skill honing. I really don't want to dedicate gobs of time and $$ to car development and driver education. The macho guy in me wants to call myself a hotshoe, but in reality I'm a mid-pack guy so far. After owning this for a bit, I find I have some interest in old race cars of many ilks. I suspect it's nostalga thing.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2019, 10:16 pm »
This was something I really wanted to try, and reason I put a GTI suspension on my Golf wagon, along with upgraded brakes and performance tires, but the problem is time. These events require you to be there all day, because when you are not driving, you are helping out. I tend to work 60 hrs a week at the VA, and when I have a day off I have to get stuff done at home.

Plus, I probably don't need to beat on my daily driver that much. I think I will have to just be happy with bombing freeway ramps.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2019, 02:43 am »
From 1977 to 1991,  I raced a '69 Formula Ford in Autocross,  Solo I and regional road racing.

The one I had used a Stimola race prep 1600cc Kent Formula Ford motor.    112 HP in a 960 lb car with 4 wheel disc brakes and 4 racing slicks.

At the '82 or '83 Solo II Nationals at Great America in Gurnee, IL,  I was the fastest Formula Ford in B Mod.  All the cars ahead of me were Atlantic's, Super V's or one-off custom B-mod machines with wings, more horsepower and bigger tires.

The adrenaline rush from driving those events was just tremendous.

Sometimes,  I miss it.  That car is sitting over at my parents house and I need to put the motor back in it.

Used Formula Fords used to be a terrific value for the fun versus what it cost to get into one of those.   Then, the Swift DB1 showed up and pretty much ruined the class.    Late 70's FF's are still terrific autocross cars since they have some room for working in the cockpit on an autocross course.   Swift's are super tight in the driver cockpit, which is fine for a road racing, but doesn't work well for autocross.

HsvHeelFan