X-Statik Front build recommendations.

BigGTgreek

X-Statik Front build recommendations.
« on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:39 pm »
I am considering using a 1.5 inch think board of soft maple for the X-Statik front instead of MDF.  The sealed lower portion would still be MDF. 

Is this a bad idea? Any drawbacks?

jcsperson

Re: X-Statik Front build recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:02 pm »
I am considering using a 1.5 inch think board of soft maple for the X-Statik front instead of MDF.  The sealed lower portion would still be MDF. 

Is this a bad idea? Any drawbacks?

If that board twists or bends, you're going to have a funky looking speaker. I might consider laminating a thin layer of your desired hardwood to baltic birch. Hardwood trim would hide the edges.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:22 pm »
Solid wood has a tendency to warp over time, so veneer over MDF is probably safest and easiest bet.
A combination of 1" MDF & .5" hardwood with a thin layer of an elastomer adhesive product like Decidamp between the layers should allow for improved vibration damping. It'd definitely be a more involved process, but should allow for the "best of both worlds" solution without affecting the overall structure or performance.

AlexH

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:38 pm »
I have also seen the wood left between driver holes split, if too little material is left in between. I have also seen where there have been no problems at all. Such is the nature of wood.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:47 pm »
There is an advantage to a hardwood over MDF for the front... it's stiffer.  That front baffle has an extended length unsupported.  I used two laminated 1/2" maple plywood, and I've been very happy with the result.  I'd use a high quality plywood instead of solid wood. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2020, 07:56 pm »
I've heard marine-grade plywood is a pretty good option since its more resistant to moisture than most standard plywoods.

Keithh

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2020, 08:28 pm »
Using hardwoods really depends on your woodworking experience and location.
Even then you can still have problems. Best to stick with MDF or Baltic Birch.
All wood products warp, bends and twists it just to what degree. The X-statik has that unsupported
section which can be a problem for MDF because of it susceptibility to bending. It would be best to
edge glue a 3/4" piece of hardwood or BB to each edge of the baffle to strengthen it.
I don't know how you plan on finishing it but the X-Statik is a fantastic speaker and
deserves some really nice veneer and fortunately the X-Statik dimensions allow that at a reasonable price.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2020, 10:29 pm »
The way to make the hardwood work is to laminate it to a sheet of MDF. That will help keep it from moving around and make it less resonant.