AV123 RS550's and Bigfoot, MODIFIED Including other X-Series Speakers

skeeter99

Hey guys,

So a set of these came for sale locally and are a very good price. I've never heard the 550's before and I don't know if the RSC200 is the MKii version or not. I thought I remembered there being some issues with the original crossovers on these (the 550's and RSC200) but can't remember what they were ... I had RS450's and RSC200 previously and really liked them but those were all with the newer updated crossovers that I think Danny did??

Question is, for $400 are they even worth picking up?? I sent an email asking for pictures and more info so I don't know what shape the cabinets are in.

I know, going back into the memory banks on this one!

Thanks!

Scott

MODIFIED: See below post, owner is being flaky so now open to other options!
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2019, 04:48 pm by skeeter99 »

kingdeezie

Re: AV123 RS550's and Bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:07 pm »
Going back into the memory banks myself, I had the Bigfoot center channel some 12 years ago or so.

I think the MK2 is designated by the words “signature,” or something to that effect. MLS Signature is sticking out to me.

The Bigfoot, from what I remember, was a pretty good center channel. 400 for all thee speakers in good condition sounds like a good deal. Could help make a nice little HT system in a bedroom or Den.

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:24 pm »
Ahh I think you're right! This is for the living room so I'm not worried about being able to get crazy loud with it, more have some nice looking speakers that sound good. I just can't remember what the crossover issues were from the MKI versions!

Maybe Danny remembers from way back when?!

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:32 pm »
Ahh I think you're right! This is for the living room so I'm not worried about being able to get crazy loud with it, more have some nice looking speakers that sound good. I just can't remember what the crossover issues were from the MKI versions!

Maybe Danny remembers from way back when?!

I have all of the measured data on them and before and after measurements (first crossover version that I had nothing to do with, and newer version that I updated) for both speakers.

If they are a later version with my crossover design then they are well worth it.

If they are an older version then you'd spend a few bucks updating the crossovers.

skeeter99

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:37 pm »
Ok cool, that's what I figured Danny. I wish they were 850's for that price but can't get picky on things that come up so rarely! I'll wait to find out if they're MKI or MKII versions and decide. Hopefully he can get me some pictures too.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:41 pm »
If the guy can, have him pop a woofer out and take a picture of the network and I can tell you what it is.

skeeter99

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:50 pm »
Will do, I'll ask him when he replies. Thanks!

chip

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2019, 04:06 pm »
Interesting choice Scott - long time man. Hope all is well. Let us know if you snatch these up.

skeeter99

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2019, 04:15 pm »
Yeah long time for sure!

I finally heard back from him last night and it turns out they're 450's not 550's, he was mistaken. But is waffling now on selling the Bigfoot ... The 450's look beautiful, great Rosewood veneer on them. I'll most likely pick these up and the Bigfoot. I'm sure Bigfoot is a MKII MLS SIG or whatever they were if it was purchased at the same time as the 450's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2019, 04:35 pm »
Yeah, I did the crossover work on the 450's. What I didn't like about them was the overhang right over the tweeter. It caused some response issues. A block of felt took care of it though. 

skeeter99

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2019, 04:40 pm »
Easy fix, thanks for the tip Danny! This guy is the SLOWEST responder ever so getting any info is like pulling teeth from across a room ... Haha!

Nick77

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2019, 05:24 pm »
Those look great Scott, flash back to my 750's.  :D
Good luck on purchase.  :thumb:

apstoltz

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2019, 05:55 pm »
I had the 450's and loved them, I felt like they were the most well balanced speaker of the rocket line.

skeeter99

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2019, 04:44 pm »
Well, the owner is being very typical Craigslist flaky so who knows if this will even happen now. Woo. Lol!

Does anyone know of any X-Statik's or X-MTM/SLS' that are in the greater PNW that may be available? I look here, CL, Audiogon, US/Canuk Audio Mart, AVS Forum, Emotiva Forum quite often but they rarely ever come up in this area.

Conversely, if anyone wants to BUILD a set of X-Statik Cabinets for me for cheap I'd consider that! Haha! I'm only looking to put 5-600 bucks into the set as they're just for the living room. The media room comes later this year ...

Scott

skeeter99

Danny, maybe a set of the Studio Monitors you're talking about here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160647.0 might be a good option? Possibly the tower version? I loved the X-Statik's I had forever ago ... Any idea of cost yet for the Monitors or Towers?

Danny Richie

Danny, maybe a set of the Studio Monitors you're talking about here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160647.0 might be a good option? Possibly the tower version? I loved the X-Statik's I had forever ago ... Any idea of cost yet for the Monitors or Towers?

Those studio monitors are in the fast track right now. Several studios have seen the information on them and are wanting them and needing them right now. One studio has a recording session in Las Vegas, in three weeks, and wants two pair to use in recording a famous artist.

So I am working on them as fast as I can.

I haven't completely crunched the numbers but it looks like the full kit with CNC front baffle will be just under a grand. And all of the best and highest quality parts are standard. There isn't going to be a budget version.

And my best guess is that a fully assembled pair in your choice of finishes will come in around the 3k price point.

A three way tower version will follow.

skeeter99

Danny, will the grand be for a pair and powered or ?? That's a pretty good price for the kit, especially if for a powered pair  :green:

Danny Richie

Danny, will the grand be for a pair and powered or ?? That's a pretty good price for the kit, especially if for a powered pair  :green:

That is a passive version and the price is for a pair.

skeeter99

Coolio! Look forward to watching how these progress!

skeeter99

So what about other options? X-SLS/MTM or X-Statik would match well with the X-Voce I have. Again, this is just for the living room so not looking to drop a lot of cash. I'm not super keen on building a set of speakers myself, though, don't have a lot of time currently.

Scott