New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

Danny Richie

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #60 on: 27 Dec 2018, 08:15 pm »
Haha, that's cheating because I think the servo subs blend really easily with any speaker!

Perhaps I should consider the 3-way version you discussed that has bottom section with a pair of M165s. Would the bass section work with the M165x?

I was thinking of just a pair of the M-165/16's like the lower section of the X-Statik.

And that will keep the necessary air space down.

The M-165X has too low of an impedance to pair up two of them. I could series/parallel four of them to reach a good impedance level, but the air space would get kind of high.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #61 on: 27 Dec 2018, 09:44 pm »

I guess what I really want to know is, will these monitors also do the subwoofer trick?  :D

Over the years I have noticed that it is relatively easy to mate sealed boxes with subwoofers, but very difficult to get a good blend with any ported boxes, especially if the ported boxes are allowed to run full range. Usually it's not just difficult but impossible, if 'quality' is part of what you are listening for in the low bass range.

Captainhemo

« Reply #62 on: 28 Dec 2018, 06:05 pm »
I was thinking of just a pair of the M-165/16's like the lower section of the X-Statik.

And that will keep the necessary air space down.

The M-165X has too low of an impedance to pair up two of them. I could series/parallel four of them to reach a good impedance level, but the air space would get kind of high.

He's  actually heard  4 of the  165x's  in  an Ob config as  I have them  in  my  Otica's . They work great in  this  application.....  I  think  he  likes them :wink:

jay

dvenardos

« Reply #63 on: 2 Jan 2019, 10:42 am »
If I understand correctly, this would be a good option for those of us that love the N3/S, but don’t have the 3ft for open baffle, to be able to get an open baffle like sound?

Danny Richie

« Reply #64 on: 2 Jan 2019, 04:24 pm »
If I understand correctly, this would be a good option for those of us that love the N3/S, but don’t have the 3ft for open baffle, to be able to get an open baffle like sound?

Yes it would.

dvenardos

« Reply #65 on: 3 Jan 2019, 05:11 am »
Yes it would.
Count me in the definite column; perhaps you should call it N3 OB light.  :)

2bigears

« Reply #66 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:11 pm »
 :D Danny,  any word-up on these speakers ?  Ready to go and cost ?   :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #67 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:22 pm »
:D Danny,  any word-up on these speakers ?  Ready to go and cost ?   :D

I just met with another local guy with a CNC machine today. If I can get the baffle stuff figured out so that I can offer them with a baffle then I'll have it figured out.

Captainhemo

« Reply #68 on: 4 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm »
I'll try and get  you the   files this weekend   .

reason  we're not doing this is that  danny    has  some material on hand he  wants to make use of,,,,  to costly to get it all sent up here.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #69 on: 4 Jan 2019, 11:19 pm »
Yeah, I bought ten pallet loads of 1 and 3/8" thick MDF with a veneer on each side for pennies on the dollar. I couldn't pass it up. If I can get them cut here then I can keep the cost of the front baffles down really well.

2bigears

« Reply #70 on: 5 Jan 2019, 12:00 am »
 :D cost is something on our Canuck minds as our buck sucks. 1.35 or less here.  And will go down even more so 'they' say. 
    A great little monitor is such a good idea.  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 5 Jan 2019, 12:14 am »
:D cost is something on our Canuck minds as our buck sucks. 1.35 or less here.  And will go down even more so 'they' say. 
    A great little monitor is such a good idea.  :D

Jay can cut the same baffles for you guys up there in Canada.

2bigears

« Reply #72 on: 5 Jan 2019, 01:38 am »
 :) well that's great news.  Any thoughts on roll-out Danny.  I'm hurting for a few sets ,  and if they are that good ,,,, we will bite .  Is the x over easy to put together ?     :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #73 on: 5 Jan 2019, 03:49 pm »
:) well that's great news.  Any thoughts on roll-out Danny.  I'm hurting for a few sets ,  and if they are that good ,,,, we will bite .  Is the x over easy to put together ?     :D

The prototype that I tested with needed very few crossover parts. So it should be pretty easy to assemble.

yardbird

« Reply #74 on: 15 Jan 2019, 09:50 pm »
Love the idea or purchasing and shipping the baffle only vs. the whole box.

2bigears

« Reply #75 on: 16 Jan 2019, 12:08 am »
 :D now that is a great idea.  Most can cut a box out of stock.  Sign me up..
                 Danny,, eta on the kits ?   I would like to give you $$ again !    Ha. 

Broncosaurs

« Reply #76 on: 7 Feb 2019, 02:24 pm »
Look what Danny has done now!  A studio monitor with the Neos!.  This speaker can be placed close to the wall.  And if you add two M-165 speaker for the low end you will have an amazing floor stander speaker that can be and should be closer to a wall. :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 7 Feb 2019, 04:34 pm »
Look what Danny has done now!  A studio monitor with the Neos!.  This speaker can be placed close to the wall.  And if you add two M-165 speaker for the low end you will have an amazing floor stander speaker that can be and should be closer to a wall. :lol:

Use of the Neo 10 would definitely make it a three way.

I still slightly favor the M165NQ woofer over the Neo 10 with the Neo 3 in the big wave guide. The big wave guide allows the crossover point to be much lower than when crossing to the Neo 10 on a more flat baffle. So the speed the M165NQ gives up to the Neo 10 is fairly negligible. The M165NQ offers a little more body to the vocals. It's a great combination.

Broncosaurs

« Reply #78 on: 7 Feb 2019, 04:53 pm »
This monitor with the two 165s for the low end plus a sub, will the SPL be able to fill a mid+ sized room (20x20) with 18' ceiling to a good volume of rock music?

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 7 Feb 2019, 05:28 pm »
This monitor with the two 165s for the low end plus a sub, will the SPL be able to fill a mid+ sized room (20x20) with 18' ceiling to a good volume of rock music?

Should be no problem there so long as you don't need crazy SPL levels.