Are SongTowers built to order?

TKonrad.NOLA

Are SongTowers built to order?
« on: 27 Jul 2009, 12:10 pm »
How long does it take from the time the order is placed to delivery?

mchuckp

Re: Are SongTowers built to order?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2009, 12:26 pm »
Jim would obviously be the best to answer this but I'm sure some others will chime on on their personal experience. A friend and I ordered some and Jim told us both 30-45 days. My friend's was shipped on day 48 I believe. I'm on day 50 but I also know that Jim is waiting on some baffles to finish mine up.

If you order some just assume on the long side then be surprised when they are ready earlier. :). Also keep in mind that Jim will make sure every pair is perfect and is worth the wait.

bryede

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2009, 02:23 pm »
Where do you live?

Check out the audition thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20721.0

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:01 pm »
We'd all be surprised if you didn;t like them, but there is a pretty good chance there is a customer within driving distance to audition.

Also, sometimes there are unfinished cabinets setting and if you are not wanting some custom finish you might inquire about what is available PDQ.

Best to call Jim and get the lowdown.

rahimlee54

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:18 pm »
Where do you live?

Check out the audition thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20721.0

I live in Northern Virginia, the suburbs of Washington DC.

There are a bunch of people around there with them, Dennis Murphy is  there too and he actually has two Songtowers.

You should be able to fine someone go have a listen.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:45 pm »
I think I will give him a call.  Actually I am unsure as to why I want to upgrade.  I am actually VERY satisfied with my Ascend Sierra-1 but I have an urge to buy something.  Crazy huh?

I'm just over the VA-MD line in Glen Echo.  I have the ST's, the prototype HT1 TL's, and the way-out-of-your-price-bracket HT4's.
And I have a remote control speaker comparison box that will pinpoint differences between the ST's and Sierra's. (I've had a pair of those in the house for comparison--but not anymore.  So you would need to bring yours, which I encourage you to do.)  Just PM me if you're interested.   

vintagebob

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2009, 03:53 pm »
Wow, it doesn't get any better than that.  One-on-one with your Sierras.  You go Dennis!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2009, 04:59 pm »
DigitalDude

I own a pair of SongTowers and I've heard the Sierras before.  I urge you to bring yours with you when you go to Dennis Murphy's.  You may find the comparison very interesting.

Just in case you're interested, after you hear all of the goodies Dennis Murphy has, I have a pair of Salk standard finish cherry veneer STs in Gaithersburg, MD.

Richard

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2009, 05:52 pm »
I think I will give him a call.  Actually I am unsure as to why I want to upgrade.  I am actually VERY satisfied with my Ascend Sierra-1 but I have an urge to buy something.  Crazy huh?
I've heard the Ascend Sierra's compared directly to the SongTower's, and to my ears the SongTower's have much better midrange clarity.  They also extend lower and have more timbre accuracy IMO.  I think you're making the right choice to upgrade, but definitely audition first if you can.

Wow, an invite from the crossover designer!  It doesn't get better than that.  Bring your Sierra's along and let your ears decide.  ;)

oldmp3

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2009, 07:58 pm »
DigitalDude,

I have the dome tweeter SongTowers and SongCenter (curly cherry) with some room treatments in Herndon/Reston area.  PM if you'd like a listen.

K Shep

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2009, 09:20 pm »
This is one of the reasons I am so satisfied with the Salk Sound products and family, the gentleman who designs the crossover for the speakers invites you into his home.  Encourages you to bring your existing speakers to his place to hook them up and sit for a comparison.  The next thing you may do is call the Salk factory, Jim Salk will answer the phone and take his time and explain the ordering process.  For me this is what sets this company apart and makes the experience so special.