Phil A

Re: Computer Audio Education
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:27 pm »
Thanks for the links.  I'm starting the process of looking.  There's also:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/

toddbagwell

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2011, 06:00 pm »
I just built a new Music Server and didn't need an optical drive, and this technique for installing the OS from a USB stick worked flawlessly!

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_install_windows_7_usb_key

todd

ps I am in no way related to MaxPC, I just subscribe and learn.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:30 pm »
Any sites for info on wireless and using the same source in multiple places would be appreciated... :thumb:

toddbagwell

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2012, 09:11 pm »
Here's a topic on using Sox to change file sample rates

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102908.0

todd

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm »
Guys..stereophile also have a dedicated section for computer audio.
http://www.stereophile.com/category/computer-audio-reviews

lakeallen

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2012, 10:58 pm »
I've read all I can on storage and external hard drives and am looking for a specific recommendation on a brand- model? I had 200 + CD's unconverted and stored on my HP laptop hard drive and it failed. If I store my files (wave 24/192) on an external HD will it degrade the ability of my JRiver software to play it- i.e.: slow retrieval of the file or memory play?

Thanks if anyone has a recommendation for external storage.

toddbagwell

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm »
I've had good experience with Seagate drives.

I just had a G-Tech branded Hitachi drive fail after one year [it was on 24/7 in it's defense]

I've had drives arrive from newegg DOA, which I've gathered is more common with "OEM" bare drives when compared to "retail" packaged drives. [possibly due to less robust packaging?]

Western Digital has a new line of RED drives that are designed for NAS usage, which might work well for you.

as far as transfer speeds, if you have a USB 3, eSATA, or Firewire port on the computer, you should be fine with an external drive, USB 2 might be slower...

hop this helps,
todd

doctorcilantro

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:00 pm »
A lot of folks using Synology or QNAP NAS units these days. They have come a long way.

I used stream over LAN from master to client (JRMC) because when you start doing 192kHz+ you can run into issues of the client is really low powered.

Matt @ JRMC recommends to leave Playback from Memory disabled when streaming audio from an NAS etc. There is a recent post on this now in the MC17 forum. All that setting does is attempt to load the entire song at once from memory; you'll find smoother performance with it disabled (i.e. no buffering), and it is not needed when reading files from a NAS for playback.

I've gotten rid of running over wired LAN (to another PC) just to mitigate any possible issues given that I am doing a lot of higher res. stuff these days. I also implemented a more powerful master PC and connect the Synology to that. Then I run one USB cable to the other room (10ft) to my DAC, and I'm loving the low latency I'm getting and rock solid performance. Doesn't hurt to be able to have 4-6 cores and horsepower for transcoding or running DSP room correction on high res. material.

cheers

I've read all I can on storage and external hard drives and am looking for a specific recommendation on a brand- model? I had 200 + CD's unconverted and stored on my HP laptop hard drive and it failed. If I store my files (wave 24/192) on an external HD will it degrade the ability of my JRiver software to play it- i.e.: slow retrieval of the file or memory play?

Thanks if anyone has a recommendation for external storage.

lakeallen

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:37 pm »
Thanks Doc, I'm just ripping at 16/44 to my HD for now until I figure out my storage/NAS situation.

A lot of folks using Synology or QNAP NAS units these days. They have come a long way.

I used stream over LAN from master to client (JRMC) because when you start doing 192kHz+ you can run into issues of the client is really low powered.

Matt @ JRMC recommends to leave Playback from Memory disabled when streaming audio from an NAS etc. There is a recent post on this now in the MC17 forum. All that setting does is attempt to load the entire song at once from memory; you'll find smoother performance with it disabled (i.e. no buffering), and it is not needed when reading files from a NAS for playback.

I've gotten rid of running over wired LAN (to another PC) just to mitigate any possible issues given that I am doing a lot of higher res. stuff these days. I also implemented a more powerful master PC and connect the Synology to that. Then I run one USB cable to the other room (10ft) to my DAC, and I'm loving the low latency I'm getting and rock solid performance. Doesn't hurt to be able to have 4-6 cores and horsepower for transcoding or running DSP room correction on high res. material.

cheers

AgentOrange

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2014, 11:01 pm »
I like computer audio.

"I can't tell anyone the best way to assemble a computer for music. We all have different needs, budgets and levels of absurdity. Like most here on YC, I like to do things cheap and have them work like expensive. The best "out of the box" computer music player might be a cheap laptop with a few changes to the software. Here is a great site for cheap computer junk. Check it for a couple weeks and you will be amazed. It keeps up with sales from the major retailers. A low end laptop can be the start of better computer audio."

That is from a thread of mine on yardcraphome.com, feel free to join, read and enter the discussion.

I built my own very tiny computer tune server and it is quite good.
It really gets down to how anal (how much fun) you want to have.  That is true of all HiFi.
I slide slightly towards asshole and count on friends to pull me back.