Advice needed - "downgrading" to 626R?

Hyenna

« on: 21 Jan 2003, 02:36 am »
I need some helpful advice as I feel upgraditis is going to get the better of me and I'll end up making a huge blunder.

I have RM2s in what I would consider a small room. I recently thought of upgrading to RM40s but since my room isn't going to be any larger anytime soon AND the rest of my equipment is, I would say, lacking, I got second thoughts about the whole project.

Some notes:

Listening area size : not expecting it to be much bigger then 12L x 14W x 8H.
Usual setup : RM2s spaced 8 ft apart and me sitting 9 back.
(furniture and walls close by)
Habits : 70% HT, 30% Music
System :
*Yamaha RXV-800 (HT and 2ch)
*Aragon 8008 ST (for RM2s)
*Paradigm Monitors 3v2 for rears
*No sub or center

Would 626Rs and a sub be better suited for my needs?
(I'm think 3x 626r for HT + VMPS sub)
Would I be losing much by "downgrading" to a smaller
system?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2003, 06:38 am »
Generally, the more radiating area you have the better, so in that respect the RM-2 has an advantage.  But, the 626Rs tend to be easier to place, and have a much smaller baffle, so will tend to image better.  But they will not play as loud as the RM-2 will, so if you listen over 100db regularly, it might not be something you want.

I am willing to bet that if you are using the stock crossover in the RM-2, that the auricap upgrade on the 626R w/the new ribbon tweeter will give you more transparency and better imaging.

Mathew_M

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2003, 07:09 am »
I listened to a pair of RM2's in a large room with high ceilings and hard wood floors.  Very alive and not good acoustically.  Honostly I did not care for the sound I was hearing.

Owning the 626r and having them in a small room I can say that I am pretty happy with them.  I found by pulling them out into the room more and shortening the focal distance to about 7 feet has made a big difference in imaging and overall dynamics.  Punchier and more enveloping.  Matched with a sub I would think this is your best combo.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2003, 02:50 pm »
I'd say go with what tyson recommended.  626 w/ auricap and new tweeter + sub.  Down the road you could also set up again by getting another pair of 626s and flip them upside down on top of the other 626s.

Hyenna

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2003, 12:35 am »
Thanks everyone.
After careful consideration, I decided to go ahead and sell my RM2s  :(

At this point it seems the best solution. I'll probably get 626Rs and upgrade my receiver to a separate (or get a dedicated 2ch preamp).

Tyson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2003, 01:55 am »
A good preamp for the 626R's would give a nice improvement over the Yamaha acting as a pre.  I think you're fine w/the Aragon 8008, that's a quality piece.

But, if your 70% HT, maybe a seperate pre/pro is the way to go. . .

Hyenna

Me = Stupid
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2003, 11:46 pm »
I feel extremely stupid... Turns out all my problems as of late with my RM2s  were caused by a speaker wired out of phase. Should have known... I let the roommate wire them while I was busy with the receiver :)

Sound has gone from downright horrible to excellent. Although it is still a little brighter then what I was used to - but I'll redo the treble, mid and bass tweaking now that I found "THE" problem. Still wish I could give them some more "breathing room" though, but I'm not really complaining now - sound very good nonetheless.

Good thing I decided to keep them and give it sometime! *Bonks himself on the head.

Anyone has any advices to tame a "live" room? (inexpensive ones please :) )

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2003, 12:43 am »
large plants help.  Throw rugs on the floor, tapestry type rugs on the walls.  That'll do it.

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2003, 01:41 am »
Also, check out the Eight Nerve forum that was just added - his stuff is very sound (pun intended).  If I didn't already have DIY acoustical panels, I'd be looking at his stuff.

ZooDog

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2003, 03:28 am »
I think we have all made that mistake at one time or another.  I bought some Infinity Overture 2's (they suck) several years ago and had them wired out of phase for a week before I figured it out.  I just thought they had lean bass.

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2003, 12:51 am »
hello,

glad to hear that you sorted out the problem with your speakers.

after taming your rooms with plants, rugs etc i think you should look at improving your preamp.  with the quality speakers that you are using the preamp is the weak link in your system imo.

anyway good luck.

regards

rod

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2003, 01:31 am »
If you need a suggestion for a low cost, high performance preamp look no further than Mapletree...just a little further down in the forum list.