Advice need on VMPS FF-3

F-100

Advice need on VMPS FF-3
« on: 10 Mar 2003, 04:28 pm »
Hi All,
  There is a pair of VMPS FF-3 that is currently for sale at Audiogon for $1500.  I talked to the seller and he said that his speaker about 5 years old and doesn't have the latest drivers.

Is this model a good buy?? Or should I pass on this deal and save the money for the current model like?  I need any advice before pulling a trigger.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

warnerwh

Advice need on VMPS FF-3
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2003, 11:07 pm »
I've got the ST/R SE's which have the same mids as the FF3. The tweeters I'm sure are slightly different.  For 1500 that's a bargain. I love these. I've heard the latest speakers and am quite impressed. Let me assure you those speakers for only 1500 is a great BARGAIN.  If you can go and listen to them.  I've not seen any better deal in sound per dollar I don't think ever.  The only new model speakers in that price range can't really compete in my opinion except at low levels. If you listen to music very quietly and don't like a large soundstage with truly excellent bass then get the little speakers.  I know another guy with speakers like these and he also likes them as much as these newer versions.  I saw those too and tried to get a couple people to get them.  In this case I believe you have nothing to lose and alot to gain. You could always get your money back out of them. Besides I doubt if you'd want your money back once you hear them.

JoshK

Advice need on VMPS FF-3
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2003, 11:23 pm »
I agree that that sounds like a fantastic bargain.  From what I have heard, although they might not be able to compete with the latest and greatest neodriver versions (at significantly more $$ for similarly large speakers), they ought to beat just about anything obtainable in the <$2000 range.

F-100

Advice need on VMPS FF-3
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2003, 04:25 am »
Warnerwh,

How do you like ST/R SE? Does this Super Tower bring out a lot of bass that you don't need additional subwoofer. I'm not a basshead but I like just enough to feel the vibration in the room.

What is the rest of your equipments? If you don't mind sharing with us?

Regards,
Harry

warnerwh

Advice need on VMPS FF-3
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2003, 12:59 am »
The rest of my system is a Newcastle 9080 preamp and a Parasound HCA 3500 power amp fed by a Sony ES cd player and MSB dac III and silver cabling. Also the rear wall and ceiling about 3' out are covered with 3" acoustic foam.  The sound is excellent top to bottom. Definitely have no need for a subwoofer. Not being rich I use my stereo as the main part of my home theater system and the sounds can literally scare you. As for music I really can't complain. There's always something better but the coherence of the mids (you'll lose respect for cone drivers), excellence in the bass region and the quality Scanspeak treble I have is as good as I've personally heard.  Best I had heard before was probably the big Theils or B&W's 801 III. So there's alot I haven't heard. I've had a couple of audio friends over and they were also very impressed.  You feel all the bass with these and it's a well articulated and balanced with the rest of the system. My main purpose is music but they are quite amazing with movies,  have had my heart stopped a number of times. Edit: Those FF3's for sale will also have great bass but probably don't go down to -3@ 20hz like the Supertower, only probably 25hz. These are real numbers not advertising numbers. One more thing: VMPS is a first class company to deal with, Brian busts his ass for his customers.