$$$Power cords and $100 outlets, do they make a difference?

prokennex

Re: $$$Power cords and $100 outlets, do they make a difference?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2007, 05:06 pm »
When I changed my outlets to hospital grade I could hear a difference for the better.

Initially I had zcable lighting basic powercords on everything except my electrostats. I couldn't hear any difference when I replaced the stock cords on the stats, but that left some of my electronics without an upgraded cord. When I purchased a couple VD Nite power cords for the dodd 120's and preamp, I heard a definte difference. After hearing this I replaced the stock power cords on the sl3s with the zcable lighting and behold I could even hear a difference on the stats,

With the nites on the electronics and zcable lighting on the stats the sound is more accurate. Well recorded music sounds alot better, but  bad recordings sound worse.

You could try companies that allow 30 day trial or purchase 2nd hand. I purchased the nites 2nd hand.

Ray

Jon L

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2007, 10:17 pm »
This power cord will make a HUGE difference. :thumb:  But hurry! The half price sale ends in two days.

Has anyone in the history of audio paid the 13K retail for these things?

AliG

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2007, 11:49 pm »
Nobody pays retail on cables... :peek:

This power cord will make a HUGE difference. :thumb:  But hurry! The half price sale ends in two days.

mdnocum

« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2007, 03:18 am »
Darredon,

What's up?

If your thinking about power cords, this might be helpful to read... http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=103597

Merv

darredon

« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:35 am »
Wow,  aa there's so much information on this subject. Thanks everyone for your input. From what I’ve read it appears the community is in agreement that power cords do make a difference but what difference it makes to your system is subjective to the owner. Mdnocum sent me the link below about this guy who has been testing power cords for five years. I wish I had that much money to test stuff. :( The write up was lengthy but worth the read, lots of good stuff. Link http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=103597

After digesting everyone’s feedback it sounds like I’ll try out Virtual Dynamics (VD) Power Cables and Black Sand Cable. I saw a lot of members say they were happy with their VD cords. Well this was a great first posting. I love Audio Circle, I’m just concerned I’m going to spend way too much time here. Oh well, we all have to have our addictions. Talk to all of you soon.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:41 am »
darredon....
I’m just concerned I’m going to spend way too much time here....
Well.....thats not so bad.... :lol:

Good luck .....but don't forget those room treatments !!! :wink:

SET Man

« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2007, 05:26 am »

Hey!

Wow! 50% off! I better hurry. Maybe I could sell my kidney and get some for my system! :jester:

Okay, seriously... I have only have experience with outlet. I changed my cheap outlet to PS Audio and yes I could hear the difference but not much. So, yes a good tight connection is a must for sure :D

But I've never tried any pricey power cord in my system. I'm currently use Carol 12ga rubber jacket that I picked up from Home Depot and I think my system sounds fine to me. :wink:

Anyway, maybe I should ask loanwolf to loan me a pricey power cord to try in my own system than I will see if there is any improvement.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

AliG

« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2007, 05:35 am »
Go audiogon..you can find some refurbished VD cords at a much affordable price.

We all know that a $20,000 power cord cannot be 100 times better than a $200 cord.  8) 8)

Having said that.. I've just plunged for a new pair of Acoustic Zen Double Barrel..:o :o
One day, I may need some counselling to rid myself of this 'upgraditis' syndrome  :duh:

Hey!

Wow! 50% off! I better hurry. Maybe I could sell my kidney and get some for my system! :jester:

Okay, seriously... I have only have experience with outlet. I changed my cheap outlet to PS Audio and yes I could hear the difference but not much. So, yes a good tight connection is a must for sure :D

But I've never tried any pricey power cord in my system. I'm currently use Carol 12ga rubber jacket that I picked up from Home Depot and I think my system sounds fine to me. :wink:

Anyway, maybe I should ask loanwolf to loan me a pricey power cord to try in my own system than I will see if there is any improvement.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2007, 06:18 am by AliG »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2007, 07:01 am »

Hey!

Take care,

Damn Buddy, you listen to a 1902 Victor record player, of course a Carol wire's gonna sound ok to ya.  :lol: Seriously Buddy, whatsha got to lose by giving Chris's cords a listen? I have no problems stating that there's a definitely an audible sound quality improvement using Chris's Black Sand Silver Reference power cords over my VH Flavor 4 power cords. Enough of an audible improvement that I can't walk away from what I've heard. But hey, that's me, in my system and alas my own opinion from what I'm hearing.  :dunno: And it's gonna cost me a lot of money.  :roll:  :lol: Thanks Chris,,,,,really!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

vman71

« Reply #29 on: 20 Dec 2007, 01:09 pm »

[/quote]

I did..... aa.....just kidding.

rabpaul

« Reply #30 on: 20 Dec 2007, 03:58 pm »
Your Oyaide outlet will only be as good as the power going into it. An outlet on its own won't give you cleaner power. Now if you ran a dedicated circuit first, then put a good duplex outlet like an Oyaide, the sonic gains would be much more noticable.
Go with this first as its really good advice.

I personally don't believe in using power cables to tune a system but there are those who do.
At the very least your power cables should be shielded hence I use Shunyata Diamondback. Shunyata Venom is really inexpensive. Another inexpensive cable I use is from DH Labs, terminate them yourself as I did.

If you hear a difference, is it worth what you have spent? I can't answer that for you.
Starting small helps a lot if you don't hear a difference. You can at least say been there done that.