Super Alnico monitor vs Junior 8XRS

PeterKK

Super Alnico monitor vs Junior 8XRS
« on: 14 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm »
Hi all,

I'm interested in what to expect between these 2 speakers: my guess is that the Alnico will image better while the Junior XRS will have more presence and bass. They seem to be on the same price point. My listening room is 25 sq meter, thank you for your thoughts,

Peter

PeterKK

Re: Super Alnico monitor vs Junior 8XRS
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2018, 10:14 pm »
Also if I'm not taking too much advantage of everyone's time and acknowledging that this is a biased group how both compare vs something like the Zu Omen Dirty Weekend. Thanks again, Peter

tdogzthmn

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2018, 02:39 am »
I own the Junior 8's and feel they are very fine sounding speakers.  They are my first pair of Omega's so I can't reference any other models but in general they have a very open and forward sound compared to my other speakers.  The main reason I went for them was due to their drivers and frequency response.

peckjed

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2018, 01:48 pm »
I currently own RS8 based monitors & deep 8 sub and they sound excellent. Much more transparent and detailed than the B&W CM9's I owned previously. I do have a pair of SAM HO's being finished up now so I'll be able to comment on the differences in a few weeks.

PeterKK

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2018, 05:35 pm »
Thanks a lot to both for sharing your experiences!

thetakeout

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2021, 01:00 am »
It’s been a long tim but how did the RS8 based monitor stack up to the SAM?

seikosha

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2021, 01:49 pm »
I’ve got both the SAM and the Junior 8xrs’s.  Both are great speakers, but I find myself listening more to the 8’s.  I just like the presentation a little better.

thetakeout

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2021, 02:02 am »
Thanks for the reply!  Is there someone one of the speakers seems to do better than the other?  any differences of note you can share?

Thanks!

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2021, 01:51 pm »
For me, in my room, the 8xrs is a little more dynamic and faster sounding than the SAM.  Both seem to go equally low, but the SAM has a little more warmth in the upper bass.  The 8 also puts out a bigger soundstage and images a bit better.  The SAM does have that wonderful tone in the midrange that is very lovely and intoxicating, yet in the upper registers, I feel the 8 has a more even frequency response.   Neither speaker is “better” than the other, it all comes down to listener preferences.

thetakeout

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2021, 03:33 am »
thanks for the response! do you feel one that either set of speakers tends to favor different genre's of music?

seikosha

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2021, 12:53 pm »
thanks for the response! do you feel one that either set of speakers tends to favor different genre's of music?

Gosh, really I don’t think that I could say one does a certain type of music better.  Some may have a different opinion but I don’t think I could pick one over the other based on music type.

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2021, 08:04 pm »
Gosh, really I don’t think that I could say one does a certain type of music better.  Some may have a different opinion but I don’t think I could pick one over the other based on music type.

I don't have the two Omega's the OP has inquired, but do have the Super 5 and Hoyt Bedford Type 1.  I have to agree the HB as a little more warmth in the upper bass as noted and the RS5 a little cleaner and more transparent.  Both are incredible speakers and no one is better than the other.   Re does one speaker do better with certain types of music... I'm in the camp that a good speaker design will do wonderfully with any type of music.  The difference people hear is prob the dynamic ability of one over the other.