Finding the right (tube?) amp for Salk WOW1s (83db)

hilde45

Re: Finding the right (tube?) amp for Salk WOW1s (83db)
« Reply #20 on: 29 Feb 2020, 11:40 pm »
Those both seem great and the Luxman...wowsa.

Everything folks post here, I carve out your advice and add it to a crib sheet about matching.
I do think I'll find options! Thank you!

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2020, 09:17 pm »
I'll contribute my experience:  My system includes a pair of vintage bookshelf-sized two-way sealed speakers with 8" nominal diameter mid/woofers, about 83 dB efficiency and a maximum power rating of 200 Watts; driven by an AVA FET Valve 600R hybrid power amplifier rated 300 W/Ch at 8 ohms with appropriately rated speaker fuses. They are in a larger sized-family room, and played only up to medium-volume levels, when my wife is home. I am quite happy with them.

I considered replacing them at one time with some WOW1 speakers, but wasn't convinced that their mid/woofer diameter was sufficient for my listening situation. For near field listening, or in a smaller-sized room, I'm sure that the WOW1s would be a good choice.

hilde45

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2020, 09:37 pm »
Thanks for that. I bought a REL sub to supplement any smaller bookshelves.

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2020, 04:43 pm »
Rogue Cronos Magnum II or III integrated. Satisfies both your true power needs and tube curiosity.

hilde45

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2020, 05:06 pm »
Thanks! I have that locally to audition. I've also got a chance to hear Octave, Quicksilver, Dared, Black Ice Jolida.

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2020, 07:43 pm »
Thanks! I have that locally to audition. I've also got a chance to hear Octave, Quicksilver, Dared, Black Ice Jolida.

Probably the most meaningful  audition would only happen when you actually have the WOW's to bring to the shop. Or better yet, try to arrange an in home audition at that time..

hilde45

« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2020, 07:49 pm »
I agree. I plan to (a) make some eliminations among amps in the shops if possible. Then, (b) bring the speakers to a couple shops to see how they work together. Then, (c) I'll ask for whatever I can to bring home (two if possible). There are just too many stories of people buying things without that home trial and being very disappointed. For $$ thousands, I think this is a reasonable request.

mick wolfe

« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2020, 08:05 pm »
I agree. I plan to (a) make some eliminations among amps in the shops if possible. Then, (b) bring the speakers to a couple shops to see how they work together. Then, (c) I'll ask for whatever I can to bring home (two if possible). There are just too many stories of people buying things without that home trial and being very disappointed. For $$ thousands, I think this is a reasonable request.

You bet. You've got the right mindset. :thumb:

MMcGary

• Industry Participant
  • ...Just Listen
    • McGary Audio
« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2020, 04:56 pm »
I've never heard the SS 6M speakers but would like to.  They use the same Satori beryllium tweeters that the Song 3 BeAT uses.  Best dome tweeters I've heard.

We all have a tendency to adapt to our situation.  If you have discovered a preference for tube amplifiers, you will likely be happy using one even if you can't play music quite as loud. It's a completely reasonable compromise to be more engaged with the music and not get maximum sound levels. I have many friends who have made this compromise and are quite happy.  Pick the best speakers you can for your needs and pocketbook, then build from there.

The SS 6M sound wonderful...nice tight low bass from a small monitor and efficient (90dB).

hilde45

« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:45 pm »
Does anyone have an opinion about the combination of VAC preamps/amps (say, 100 wpc) for Salks?