Software : Computer Audio Recommendations

JDUBS

Re: Software : Computer Audio Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2011, 12:48 am »
Well, after trying exactaudiocopy - it wouldn't read a CD in my drive. I just decided to go with iTunes and download my CD's in WAV files. Seems like the simple way to do things.

iTunes isn't good for ripping.  How about trying dBPoweramp?  Not sure what you mean by "wouldn't read a CD in my drive."  It won't rip a specific disc?

-Jim

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2011, 02:47 pm »
iTunes isn't good for ripping.  How about trying dBPoweramp?  Not sure what you mean by "wouldn't read a CD in my drive."  It won't rip a specific disc?

-Jim

With a CD in the drive, it says "No disc in drive."

Why is iTunes not good for ripping? Not very good error correction?

I guess it looks like I'll have to try many 30 day trial programs before deciding.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2011, 04:44 pm »

With a CD in the drive, it says "No disc in drive."

Try placing  the CD in the drive before starting eac.

Aleg

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2011, 04:51 pm »
The link you said you used doesn't point to EAC but to some other audioconversion program.
So if you installed that program, you are not using EAC.

One of the proper links to EAC is http://download.pcwelt.de/area_release/files/4A/60/4A603C8E579A96BA457DA34AB3D9FE57/eac-1.0beta1.exe

-
aleg

charmerci

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2011, 09:42 pm »
That worked on eac. Thanks.

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2011, 04:07 am »
Thanks Dan D.!!!!  I LOVE QuuxPlayer!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This whole software learning process has been one minor pain in the ass or complication after another that just eats up so much time.... EAC, dbpoweramp, mediamonkey, foobar....  :banghead:

iTunes has been fine though someone said they had problems with it. (What problems, they didn't say. :scratch: )

I'd just love to find a simple combination FLAC/WAV extractor and playback software that also downloads the info from the CD.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 05:12 pm by charmerci »

charmerci

« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2011, 12:08 am »
OK - using Windows (7 in my case) here's the easiest, fastest, least complicated way of getting up and ripping and listening. (Having tried most of the ripping/playing software on this thread.)

Easy CD-DA Extractor.....
Link...

:thumb: I'm a fan of QuuxPlayer. It does have a built-in graphic equalizer and will display album art.

I tried to keep it free but alas, Easy CD-DA costs after a 30-day free trial.

Plus with QuuxPlayer - two simple hints. To load music into the player, go to File > Add Folder to Library, then click on the name of the album > OK. Also, while the music is playing, hitting the space bar toggles between screens.

Whew.

(Note: The Easy CD-DA free version downloads the CD info but doesn't seem to be able to download the cover art on-line but when you put it in QuuxPlayer, it's there.)

Aleg

« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2011, 11:41 am »
OK - using Windows (7 in my case) here's the easiest, fastest, least complicated way of getting up and ripping and listening. (Having tried most of the ripping/playing software on this thread.)

I tried to keep it free but alas, Easy CD-DA costs after a 30-day free trial.

Plus with QuuxPlayer - two simple hints. To load music into the player, go to File > Add Folder to Library, then click on the name of the album > OK. Also, while the music is playing, hitting the space bar toggles between screens.

Whew.

(Note: The Easy CD-DA free version downloads the CD info but doesn't seem to be able to download the cover art on-line but when you put it in QuuxPlayer, it's there.)

I don't see any differences between Easy CD-DA and dBPowerAmp CD Ripper and Audio Converter besides that fact that the former does not use AccurateRip and uses less sources for its MetaData.

So I would say there is nothing going for Easy CD-DA above dBPoweramp CDRipper and Audio Converter.

-
aleg

charmerci

« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2011, 04:19 am »
So I would say there is nothing going for Easy CD-DA above dBPoweramp CDRipper and Audio Converter.

aleg

For me (Win7), dbPoweramp CD Ripper did not download the info from the CD into the computer.

Aleg

« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2011, 04:39 am »
For me (Win7), dbPoweramp CD Ripper did not download the info from the CD into the computer.

Strange thing, I would check out the installation and maybe also the setup of the options.

I use dBPoweramp on windows 7 64-bit and it finds and downloads all track titles, the most complete set of meta data and very often also the cover art. It can also convert to multiple codecs in one go.

For me it is really a no brainer.

charmerci

« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2011, 02:55 pm »

I'm literally at work all day today and until tomorrow afternoon so I don't have a CD to download. I've uninstalled dbP (I like a "clean" computer) so I'll try download it again and try it tonight/tomorrow.

charmerci

« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2011, 05:13 am »
Strange thing, I would check out the installation and maybe also the setup of the options.

Then help me!

This is what happens. I re-downloaded software - put a CD in and then this is what happens to me, too. (P.S. I did not sign on to this forum.)

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=23844

So I open a Guest account and instead of all the error messages, I can now download the CD (with the info but without  the art) and play the music (well, only on VLC media player because it's late and I'm not going to re-load QuuxPlayer again.)

But I'm not going to switch between the Guest and Administrator accounts just to listen, pause, etc. the music.

I'm going to sleep.

Aleg

« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2011, 08:53 am »
It is as said on the dBPoweramp forum by Spoon.

Either you don't have autorisation to write to the directory you selected for your rips or some software is blocking the program to write to the directory.

Easiest to test this is by changing your rip-directory to a directory that is not on your system drive, say on drive D: instead of drive C: .

You could also check the security settings for your rip-directory and see if your account has the proper rights to write to the rip-directory.

Try to run the program As Administrator. If this works than you have an issue with access rights.

See if you can turn of any virusscanner or other security software just for the test to see if this blocks the program.

It appears not to be an issue with dBPoweramp but with windows 7 setup or security software.

-
aleg

charmerci

« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2011, 06:06 pm »
It is as said on the dBPoweramp forum by Spoon.

Either you don't have autorisation to write to the directory you selected for your rips or some software is blocking the program to write to the directory.

Easiest to test this is by changing your rip-directory to a directory that is not on your system drive, say on drive D: instead of drive C: .

You could also check the security settings for your rip-directory and see if your account has the proper rights to write to the rip-directory.

Try to run the program As Administrator. If this works than you have an issue with access rights.

See if you can turn of any virusscanner or other security software just for the test to see if this blocks the program.

It appears not to be an issue with dBPoweramp but with windows 7 setup or security software.
-
aleg

As per above - I am the administrator and I had to open a guest account for it to rip to the hd. (Seems rather counter-intuitive to me!)

It's a two week old computer. It's not being blocked by Windows Firewall and McAfee Virus checker is a 15 day trial that ends tomorrow so I can't access that.

I can't access any options in dbP that fits anything in your description above.

kyrill

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm »
Why omit the best sounding player for Windows 7 that makes even the PC sounds better than the Mac?: JPlay  JPlay.eu  look at their reviews including TAS

toddbagwell

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2012, 06:48 pm »
I'll add JPlay to the list.

I've been busy listening to music recently, due to how great things are sounding with JPlay and itunes on my PC.

The programs works well, and the support from the developers is really amazing.

Thanks for reminding me to update the list!

todd

Ammoniaman

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jan 2014, 12:08 am »
I would add Medieval Cue Splitter to the list.  Www.medieval.it.

Sometimes you get albums all in one file with a cue sheet.  This free program splits them into individual songs.

It also has a batch mode to do entire directories.  Highly recommended.

nik.d

« Reply #37 on: 7 Feb 2014, 09:40 am »
Medieval Cue Splitter is OK tool but has some flows. I find CUETools much better for the job. Freeware of course.
CUETools will verify your album image at AccurateRip database (for proper CD/DVD offset settings) and compare
your rip with others already found in CDDB database. Does not support High-Res material, Redbook only.

nik.d

« Reply #38 on: 7 Feb 2014, 10:12 am »
And for the audio software: it is strange that no one mentioned XXHighEnd ?
The best sound you will ever hear from PC running Windows OS. It's actively developed since 2007. There's 186 versions until today.
Recommended OS (since last version, 1.186a): Windows7 Pro SP1 x64. A lot of 'smart tricks' in there, not only OS optimization. You should
try RAMdisk for XXHE setup and another RAMdisk for your 'Playback Drive' The biggest :thumb: for PeterSt.

JPlay is close competitor but still behind. And btw, author of JPlay was very active on XXHE (short for XXHighEnd) forum, contributed a lot and
then decided he has a product of his own to offer to PC audio enthusiasts. I'm there since 2008, started with WinXP + cMP (cic's Memory Player).

AgentOrange

« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm »
I have many software things listed above, some free and some I paid.

For ripping free (or for $$) Media Monkey is hard to beat, plus it does many other things for many people.
It has been around a long time and keeps improving.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/
Don't waste time ripping to anything not lossless these days as storage space is cheap.
Once in your computer, you can convert to mp3 type things as needed.  You can't do the reverse and have lossless.

For computer playback there are many good options, some free and some not.
I have paid things like jriver, but find these days I more often crank up free MusicBee as it does bit perfect and suits my visual preferences much better.  It is similar to WinAmp, but I like it better.  I don't prefer to let the software load all my tune files, prefer to pick from them where they are in the computer folders.
http://getmusicbee.com/