ASI-TEK Anybody Use Them?

rodge827

ASI-TEK Anybody Use Them?
« on: 6 Dec 2018, 11:37 am »
I recently sold off a bunch of gear to cover some minor (before turning major) financial issues.
I have an older Oppo 83 and came across ASI-TEK, possibly thinking to have some mods done.
Anyone here hire them?
Good experience?
Worth the trouble?

Chris

YoungDave

Re: ASI-TEK Anybody Use Them?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:17 pm »
I used ASI-Tek in 2010, to do the full-tour mods to a DEQX.  I strongly dis-recommend them.  The online presentation looked very promising and the description of the mods made sense.  Unfortunately, the execution of the mods was a complete failure. The DEQX did not even perform its basic crossover functions when I got it back, and the sound was so distorted as to be completely unlistenable - I measured 70% THD on my HP distortion analyzer.

After back-and-forth by email (his replies were random but usually long-delayed), and 1 return of the item to give him a chance to get it right, I eventually had to learn surface-mount soldering to undo his mods and rebuild the thing myself.

It turns out that ASI-Tek is a 1-man shop, without the appropriate range of test equipment, and is all promises and no capabilities.

johnnybravo

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2018, 06:17 pm »
I have used him in the past but can not recommend him.

I sent him a CD player to modify and was informed that it failed while in his possession; that he could sell it on ebay for me for $100, and give me a $100 credit for work on another unit.

The other unit (SD card player) was 'modified' with an ouput transformer (I think-it has been a while). It did sound a little better, but nothing earth shattering. 

I got the impression that he had lots of units 'under repair' - waiting on various parts from ebay or multitude of other reasons.  Heard/read over the years of other folks that sent him gear that was in shop for many months without resolution or return. 

Bottom line, seems like he has some technical capability, but has problems with honesty and timely repair/modifications.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:21 pm »
Not tons of info online as they are privately held but what is online doesn't jive with their claim about being in business for 23 years when one clicks on 'About Us' on their website - e.g.

https://www.manta.com/c/mb0ctx9/asi-teknologies

https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/warren/profile/electronic-equipment-repair/asi-teknologies-0332-90010829

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2018, 10:59 pm »
YoungDave and johnnybravo,
Sorry to hear you had way less than a good experience dealing with ASI-TEK. Thank you for posting and helping me make an informed decision.

Phil A, Thanks for the links and information.

Isn't AC a great place!  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2018, 12:48 am »
YoungDave and johnnybravo,
Sorry to hear you had way less than a good experience dealing with ASI-TEK. Thank you for posting and helping me make an informed decision.

Phil A, Thanks for the links and information.

Isn't AC a great place!  :thumb:

btw - I still have my BDP-83 which was modded by Modwright (solid state mod) many years back (at that point I was still into disc playback).  I actually had to send it back to Oppo a year or so back for the sticky drawer issue.  I just had to pay shipping one way since it was a known issue.  Even though I have a 103D in the main system for video playback, the 83 can pass 192kHz over the coax digital output going to my DAC.  So if I have a disc with hi-rez audio (e.g. Blu-Ray), it may not get used tons but I enjoy it.

There are just a percentage of people out there who just don't operate in a manner which would lead me to want to do business with them.  Their website to me leaves a bit to be desired.  When I lived in Northern VA and had a problem, my stuff would go to Bill Thalmann (http://musictechnology.com/about-us.html), who also does mods and a comparison of the listed details of the people who work on the stuff is much better.  I don't know what form of business (e.g. partnership, sole proprietor, corporation, etc.) that ASI-Tek operates under but I could find no annual report at the Michigan Secretary of State's site (or even evidence of a Michigan license - not sure if one is required for their business though there are things that would seem to me to imply that one is - e.g. - https://www.michigan.gov/statelicensesearch/0,4671,7-180-24786-81587--,00.html).