BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #200 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:50 am »
Gee, I'm so full with desire to own and use this hot item.  Maybe as soon as as I paid off my debt on the Torus 16A INT'L AVR that is still in the assembly line (I believe), I'll place an order on the new BDP-1.

What's the MSRP in the US again?

Hi $2150

james

klao

« Reply #201 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:08 pm »
Thanks for the MSRP, James.  Just got an e-mail from the distributor that my Torus unit will be delivered to me around 23rd Dec.  So I might order the BDA-1 sooner than I thought.   :D

BTW, I saw from the Stereophile's review of the BDA-1 that its "power consumption: 10VA".  That's the same as 10Watts, correct?

How about the power consumption of the BDP-1?  Thank you.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #202 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:24 pm »
Hi $2150

james

...which is about 1490 euros at this moment. I wonder why in the UK the BDP is 2300 pounds, which comes to 3090 US Dollars, and here in the Netherlands I have seen it for 2500 euros, which 3070 US Dollars. Does Bryston have a guy flying around first class to deliver them one by one to the customers? It is a LOT cheaper for us to order one in Canada, have it made to European standards and then just mail it over...

If anyone is wondering why there is a parallel market...

1oldguy

« Reply #203 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:27 pm »
...which is about 1490 euros at this moment. I wonder why in the UK the BDP is 2300 pounds, which comes to 3090 US Dollars, and here in the Netherlands I have seen it for 2500 euros, which 3070 US Dollars. Does Bryston have a guy flying around first class to deliver them one by one to the customers? It is a LOT cheaper for us to order one in Canada, have it made to European standards and then just mail it over...

[[[

that pricing is brutal over there.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #204 on: 15 Dec 2010, 03:05 pm »
[[[

that pricing is brutal over there.

Value Added Tax, VAT.

Welly123

« Reply #205 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:08 pm »

£2300 is more like US$3600 based on todays exchange rate. VAT is not the only reason, you can add that to the US price and still only come to US$2526. Import duty is less than 4%, freight by courier around $30~35 US$. The real answer is that we are being stuffed by the Distributors and Resellers in Europe. I have made this comment direct to PMC in the UK and not got a coherent response. More fool me for still going ahead and ordering/paying. But, my ears are thanking me every day... DAMN. It would be fine if I did not know the US price... :duh: :duh: :duh:

Russell

klao

« Reply #206 on: 15 Dec 2010, 04:55 pm »
Price in Malaysia, in which I believe share the same voltage as in the UK, is only RM$ 8,400 or around US$ 2,685 at current fx rate, not bad.  If someone's buying for you and ship it from there, you won't get the warranty covered in the UK though.

I'm eagerly waiting to receive the quotation on BDP-1 from my local distributor.  Hope the pricing would allow me to be the first consumer owner here in Thailand.  :roll:

terrycym

« Reply #207 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:16 pm »
£2300 is more like US$3600 based on todays exchange rate. VAT is not the only reason, you can add that to the US price and still only come to US$2526. Import duty is less than 4%, freight by courier around $30~35 US$. The real answer is that we are being stuffed by the Distributors and Resellers in Europe. I have made this comment direct to PMC in the UK and not got a coherent response. More fool me for still going ahead and ordering/paying. But, my ears are thanking me every day... DAMN. It would be fine if I did not know the US price... :duh: :duh: :duh:

Russell

There are two quite different marketing models. One where you keep the price low and sell lots, the other where you do not expect to sell many but keep your margins high. Either way, the profits are similar.
The UK model is the latter and it stinks!
When I asked PMC the sales rep told me they were buying them for $2150 and having to make a profit on that. I don't think so. PMC must be buying them direct from Bryston and not Bryston dealers or does he think I'm a fool?
PMC must be buying them for a lot cheaper than that?

And I thought there was a recession and people were cutting back on buying luxury items, obviously not in the world of Hi-Fi

joey116

« Reply #208 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:24 pm »
That does sound like a huge markup, you mention US pricing, but, as you probably know Bryston is made in Ontario Canada, so using PMC's logic should not the US pricing be much higher?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #209 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:33 pm »
it's too sad that there are all these additional taxes and so on...
also the used market overseas in the U.S. and Canada is much, much "healthier" than ours here in Europe. lots of Bryston stuff for sometimes unbelievable prices are available.
lucky North-Americanos!

but hey...let's go back to the origin, cause this is a BDP-1 FEEDBACK thread. :D

al.

BrysTony

« Reply #210 on: 16 Dec 2010, 12:51 am »
Mine is now on a Fedex truck and scheduled to deliver tomorrow. 
Tony  :D :D :D

FEDEX is testing my patience by slipping the delivery of my BDP-1 another day  :(

BrysTony

« Reply #211 on: 17 Dec 2010, 12:59 am »
OK, I have now been a BDP-1 owner for almost two hours.  The first point is that it extremely easy to get it up and running with the Bryston provided flash drive (under 10 minutes from delivery to first listen).  The first thing I noticed was incredible clarity, tighter bass and the overall best sound that I have experienced with my system.  By the time I was listening to the third or fourth song I had scanned through the manual (best that I have seen from Bryston) and was controlling the BDP-1 with the BR2 remote, the front panel or my iPhone using the MPOD application.  I agree with others that this player is a “game changer”.   That’s it for now -- I have lots of hi-res stuff to listen to and will probably be up late tonight!!   :D  :thumb:

Tony

ricko01

« Reply #212 on: 17 Dec 2010, 01:36 am »
The first thing I noticed was incredible clarity, tighter bass and the overall best sound that I have experienced with my system.
Tony

Just so we can put this in context.... what has the BDP-1 replaced as your digital playback component?

Thanks

Peter

BrysTony

« Reply #213 on: 17 Dec 2010, 01:46 am »
Just so we can put this in context.... what has the BDP-1 replaced as your digital playback component?

Thanks

Peter

Two previous digital sources:

1 - NAD 545BEE CDP> BDA-1

2 - Sony Laptop > Bel Canto 24/96 Link > BDA-1

Rupret

« Reply #214 on: 17 Dec 2010, 02:21 am »
I agree with Tony's call.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #215 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:03 am »

Rapt

« Reply #216 on: 21 Dec 2010, 06:32 pm »
Hi all,

James, any chance of a usb "out"  in the future for those of us with usb only dacs or that have invested in expensive usb cables etc..                    Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #217 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:07 pm »
Hi all,

James, any chance of a usb "out"  in the future for those of us with usb only dacs or that have invested in expensive usb cables etc..                    Thanks!

Thats a good question but I know the engineers chose the AES-EBU for performance reasons and it was a fight just to get them to include BNC :D

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #218 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:09 pm »
Thats a good question but I know the engineers chose the AES-EBU for performance reasons and it was a fight just to get them to include BNC :D

james

An optical out would have been nice as well...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #219 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:11 pm »
An optical out would have been nice as well...

No chance of that :)

james