• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #180 on: 12 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm »
Apparently not everyone is pleased...
Clickety

Rupret

« Reply #181 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:25 pm »
The BDP-1 sounds great and I'm very happy with it for that alone.   It is very nice.

The "easily manage a music library" statement is more of a wish list for the MINI-MAX.  I was using the SONOS media server with the Cullen upsample to 96 khz mod prior to getting the BDP-1.  The SONOS system has a great user interface but doesn't go beyond 44/16 and it doesn't match the sound of the BDP-1.  That user interface is what I consider to easily manage a music library.  The MINI-MAX doesn't provide that level of ease but it is usable and works as advertised.  "Caveman" may have been a little hard on it.

My wish list when using the front panel:

1.  The up and down arrows should auto scroll when held down.  That would make it easier to move through a large list.  I have done something similar to Russell and organized my library into alphabetical directories so that I can move through the alphabet first and then artists and then albums and then songs.

2.  Allow adding items to the playlist.   Currently, a new selection replaces what is currently playing and cannot be appended to form a playlist.  This could be user error on my part but I haven't found a way around it yet.

My wish list when using the MINI-MAX:

1.  Allow drives plugged into the rear USB ports to be manually indexed using the contents of the file headers.  This would eliminate the long (a few minutes for me with 200 gigs of music) "updating" time at each powerup.  I picked the rear ports because what is plugged into those ports is the least likely to change.

2.  Allow sorting by Genre, Composers, etc. That could be available if (1) were implemented.

For Both:

1.  Sometimes strange characters are displayed for some titles ... probably when the file name contains extended ascii.  This could be considered a bug.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #182 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:40 pm »
Hi Rupret,

Thanks for the feedback- much appreciated.  I agree that on a feature basis we do not work as well as some of the interfaces out there.  Being a Linux open operating system though I am sure we can improve on that moving forward.

You can add a song or album to the bottom of a current unsaved playlist by just touching the song or album one at a time then Add All.   

The Bryston MAX and MINI interfaces were created because I did not want to totally have our customers rely on third party interfaces like MPOD and Minion.  Also the front panel was an attempt to allow users to access their music without the need to be on a network.  I realize it is more dificult to use than an online system but at least you're not down and out if the network is out or not available.

If you want a more sophisticated user interface please check out MPOD on any MAC device - iPad, iTouch, iPhone etc.  On a PC or MAC Laptop or Desktop try (Firefox - browser) Minion - both of these are superb and work really well with the BDP-1.

Also maybe consider 2 or 3 smaller drives as you can still listen to one drive while the large drive is loading. Once loaded all the drives are accessible instantaneously of course. 

james
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2010, 03:07 pm by James Tanner »

Rupret

« Reply #183 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:16 pm »
Thanks James.

Again, the BDP-1 is great and I'm not knocking it ... just feedback.   Maybe it's my avatar ... lol.

I don't have the iPad or iPod ... I have the Android Incredible which constantly drops down the top menu each time MINI is refreshed which is annoying and if anyone knows how to go full screen on the Android I'd appreciate the info.  I do plan to get the iPad when they update next year.  Right now I mostly use the front panel.

One other thing ... is there any way to set a static ip? 

Also, have there been any software updates lately?  Mainly for the weird characters being displayed thing ... I also get array(0xNNNNNNNN) where N is some number, probably an address, displayed sometimes.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #184 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:26 pm »
Try this:

Android Operating System   
For connecting to BDP-1 Handheld using Android
http://192.168.0.16/player/mobile.html
Host is IP address
Server Port - 6600
Use Zirco Browser

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #185 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:29 pm »
Also

The software version is available by using the Up botton on the front panel 4 button array when the BDP-1 display shows "BDP-1"  The Down button will give you the IP address.

James

Rupret

« Reply #186 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:17 pm »
Apparently not everyone is pleased...
Clickety

I guess the wife found out.

James, that Zirco browser did the trick.  Thanks, looks good now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #187 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:21 pm »
I guess the wife found out.

James, that Zirco browser did the trick.  Thanks, looks good now.

GREAT NEWS :thumb:

James

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #188 on: 12 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm »
Hi James

Question about using BR-2 remote with BDP-1....   seems there is only skip tracks forward /previous ,stop , play, pause but no way to curser up down, side to side and enter? In process of ripping all cds to aiff using dbpoweramp to my ssd intel drive. Will take a long time, over 700 cds to rip((((

Very impressed with this piece so far, very good build quality. Made the right choice...much better than playing music directly from computer.

Dan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #189 on: 12 Dec 2010, 11:50 pm »
Hi Dan,

Yes the BR2 is just for basic forward, back, stop pause etc. as you state.  We have looked at up/down but so far no way to impliment it easily.

Glad your enjoying the sound.  I was playing some 176/24 Ref Recordings classical music this afternoon on my Thiel system and boy it was magical even if I do say so myself.  I cannot image a day without music :thumb:

james

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #190 on: 12 Dec 2010, 11:57 pm »
Hi Dan,

Yes the BR2 is just for basic forward, back, stop pause etc. as you state.  We have looked at up/down but so far no way to impliment it easily.

Glad your enjoying the sound.  I was playing some 176/24 Ref Recordings classical music this afternoon on my Thiel system and boy it was magical even if I do say so myself.  I cannot image a day without music :thumb:

james

I understand you well about not imagine a day without music.  When at home listen to music all the time :thumb: When I was 16, got first stereo instead of first car ( 1976 ).  If car has bad factory stereo , will not buy it at all....

Guess this is why I work in audio video industry :green: do not care as much for the video stuff, I do enjoy bluray etc but first love always be music :thumb:

Since I am ripping cds, might as well be on forums but listening to music on Sonos ( Sirius sat radio uncomressed music )

Dan

Vipers

« Reply #191 on: 13 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm »
James,
Have you any idea when the next shipment will be heading to PMC? as I was originally told I would be recieving my BDP-1 this Friday but now its looking doubtful, but I'm top of the list for the next batch, so I'm still hoping it can make it in time for Christmas  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #192 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:18 am »
Hi Vipers,

i am in New York doing an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine -(they think the BDP-1 is a game changer :D) but email our export manager Brian at bwrussell@bryston.com.

james

werd

« Reply #193 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:15 pm »
Hi

I am able to connect my laptop (via usb) to control the bdp1's usb flash drives. Or do i have to use the ethernet connect to do this?

Vipers

« Reply #194 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:48 pm »
Hi Vipers,

i am in New York doing an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine -(they think the BDP-1 is a game changer :D) but email our export manager Brian at bwrussell@bryston.com.

james

Thanks James, I'll ask Brian now, I really can't wait to get my hands on this 'game changer', enjoy New York  :)

BrysTony

« Reply #195 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm »
Mine is now on a Fedex truck and scheduled to deliver tomorrow. 
Tony  :D :D :D

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #196 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:24 am »
...enjoy your brandnew BDP-1s, boys! :thumb:

al.

klao

« Reply #197 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:56 am »
Gee, I'm so full with desire to own and use this hot item.  Maybe as soon as as I paid off my debt on the Torus 16A INT'L AVR that is still in the assembly line (I believe), I'll place an order on the new BDP-1.

What's the MSRP in the US again?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #198 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:39 am »
I cannot image a day without music :thumb:

...neither can we, James. that's why we are here...

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #199 on: 15 Dec 2010, 11:49 am »
Hi

I am able to connect my laptop (via usb) to control the bdp1's usb flash drives. Or do i have to use the ethernet connect to do this?
-

Hi Werd- have to use the network or  a dedicated router or the front panel.
You can not plug in a computer because they are both hosts.

james