Skipping the preamp by using the Cherry DAC DAC (and related stuff)

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: DAC DAC
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jan 2016, 12:36 pm »
Less than 12 hours to go!
http://kck.st/1NWutrj

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jan 2016, 10:23 pm »
Less than 12 hours to go!
Less than two hours left (:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2016, 10:54 pm »
Countdown....  Less than 90 minutes to go (:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #43 on: 17 Jan 2016, 06:07 pm »
First, the DAC DAC Kickstarter was a success!  So, this month we will be finishing the enclosure design and

Second, we would like to know if anyone else is using the Halide Bridge.  One reviewer is using it with great success:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137912.msg1469568#msg1469568
http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/

Third, we are going to try out a direct I2S mod.  The DAC DAC board has provisions for this, and we're looking into "standard" connectors/pinouts.  Any suggestions on an I2S source?

Fourth, we would like to know what reference tracks our DAC DAC backers will be using and what sample rates those tracks are in.  Even if you didn't participate in the Kickstarter, we'd like to know what low rate and high rate tracks you think are most revealing.  Thanks.

cliffy

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jan 2016, 12:07 am »
Can you finish and deliver your previous Kickstarter before working on another?
Still awaiting the Mint...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #45 on: 18 Jan 2016, 03:56 am »
Can you finish and deliver your previous Kickstarter before working on another?
Still awaiting the Mint...
We have great news regarding the MINT, which will be changing names due to a trademark conflict....
This will be disclosed during the week.  Thanks for your patience.

-Tommy O

jhm731

« Reply #46 on: 22 Jan 2016, 09:54 pm »
First, the DAC DAC Kickstarter was a success!  So, this month we will be finishing the enclosure design and

Second, we would like to know if anyone else is using the Halide Bridge.  One reviewer is using it with great success:

Third, we are going to try out a direct I2S mod.  The DAC DAC board has provisions for this, and we're looking into "standard" connectors/pinouts.  Any suggestions on an I2S source?

Fourth, we would like to know what reference tracks our DAC DAC backers will be using and what sample rates those tracks are in.  Even if you didn't participate in the Kickstarter, we'd like to know what low rate and high rate tracks you think are most revealing.  Thanks.

The PS Audio PWT has an I2S output via an HDMI connector.

There will be an updated PWT II later this year that will play SACDs and output raw DSD via the I2S output.

When can I order your DAC?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #47 on: 22 Jan 2016, 10:55 pm »
The PS Audio PWT has an I2S output via an HDMI connector.

There will be an updated PWT II later this year that will play SACDs and output raw DSD via the I2S output.

When can I order your DAC?
Thanks for the info.  Do you happen to know where I can get their [proprietary?] pinout?  I'll search for it, but if you already know....

The DAC DAC should be in production early Spring.

Interested in the HS or TL version?  Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

-Tommy O

jhm731

« Reply #48 on: 23 Jan 2016, 01:05 am »
Thanks for the info.  Do you happen to know where I can get their [proprietary?] pinout?  I'll search for it, but if you already know....

The DAC DAC should be in production early Spring.

Interested in the HS or TL version?  Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

-Tommy O

If you want to build a prototype with an HDMI input, I'll be happy to test it for you.

mfsoa

« Reply #49 on: 23 Jan 2016, 03:03 am »
Isn't it easy to pull I2S from a Raspberry Pi?
That'd be super cheap n' cheerful  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #50 on: 23 Jan 2016, 03:25 am »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Jitter tolerance
« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2016, 03:56 am »
Some quick numbers....

10kHz sine jitter: no effect under 500nS
50kHz sine jitter: no effect under 100nS
200kHz (analyzer max) sine jitter: no effect under 30nS

Most decent sources are well under 1nS wideband, so nowhere near anything that would affect the DAC DAC.

Thanks.

Oscillate

« Reply #52 on: 1 Feb 2016, 10:59 pm »
Tommy... Does the DAC DAC have an opamp in the circut?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #53 on: 1 Feb 2016, 11:23 pm »
Tommy... Does the DAC DAC have an opamp in the circut?
Yes.

mfsoa

« Reply #54 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:02 am »
Will you share which one(s)?  I had fun rolling opamps w/ my Eastern Electric Minimax dac - You could really achieve a wide range of sonic signatures with different chips.

I'd imagine i'ts too late in the design process but it would be super cool if users had the ability to swap em, or use the higher-end Burson etc. discreet opamps.

Oscillate

« Reply #55 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:25 am »
"...if users had the ability to swap em, or use the higher-end Burson etc."

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. As stated, it really does change the
sonic signature. I notice that the DAC's circut board has very short signal
paths so this may not be practical. Would you consider /is it possible to have
Burson discreet opamps installed as an OEM option/mod for a premium?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #56 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:51 am »
Will you share which one(s)?  I had fun rolling opamps w/ my Eastern Electric Minimax dac - You could really achieve a wide range of sonic signatures with different chips.

I'd imagine i'ts too late in the design process but it would be super cool if users had the ability to swap em, or use the higher-end Burson etc. discreet opamps.
OPA1602, just like in the Maraschino monoblocks.  They're pretty much "perfect" up into the MHz range.  Swapping with almost anything else will result in lower performance, but it's an interesting idea....  Altering the board voids the warrantee and you lose the ability to participate in future upgrades.

If we were to socket components, it would add to the signal path, and we don't want to do that.  This is why we limited the features ---- to get the analog from the DAC chips to the output connectors through as little as possible.  The entire distance from the DAC chips to the output connectors is less than an inch!

We do entertain customization, so if you want different op-amps, we can probably accomodate you.

A note about demos....  All of our demos are inspected, cleaned, and re-tested, by the way.  They are mostly from upgrades or shows, but we have bought back gear outright as well.  This assures QUALITY.  With performance at this level, we want everything to be just right. Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #57 on: 2 Feb 2016, 01:58 am »
"...if users had the ability to swap em, or use the higher-end Burson etc."

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking. As stated, it really does change the
sonic signature. I notice that the DAC's circut board has very short signal
paths so this may not be practical. Would you consider /is it possible to have
Burson discreet opamps installed as an OEM option/mod for a premium?
My previous reply was practically simultaneous with yours!  The time is different because I'm modifying my post slightly....

I forgot to mention that the TL version's output goes through a single gain stage and retains true double differential output (in less than an inch).  The HS version is the same physical distance line-of-sight, but through more parts.

If you want something custom, talk to us.  If it physically fits, and you have the means to fund the labor, we're all ears.

Thanks again.

mfsoa

« Reply #58 on: 2 Feb 2016, 04:00 am »
IIRC the OPAs were my faves in the minimax. I think I tried the 827 and the 627. Full-bodied, w/ the 827 (again IIRC) faster and more modern, the 627 nice n' creamy.

vonnie123

« Reply #59 on: 2 Feb 2016, 08:44 am »

In addition to the PS Audio PWD/PWT, Wyred4Sound uses a I2S over HDMI connection. They use I2S in their music servers and DACs.  They modified a Sonos Connect for me for use with their DAC 2 Converter.