First Impressions of the AVA 550EXR

wreilly

« on: 5 Dec 2003, 12:25 pm »
This is not going to be a full review, the 550EXR arrived Wednesday so I have not had any real Quality time with it as yet.

However my initial impression is WOW!!

I have tried many high end amps in my system and this just blew me away. Fast detailed, refined. You get the idea. This made a jaw dropping difference in the sonic presentation.
Jaw dropping is not something I expect from a power amp. They all sound the same as you know.   :D

Frank this is a real giant killer, way to go!!

I do have a couple of negatives though. The Binding posts could be ( much ) better and ( although I don't see how ) better placed. Spade connections are very difficult.
Overall a minor point, but some times it is the little things that frustrate the most.

Regards,
Bill

audiojerry

« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2003, 01:51 pm »
I was very impressed by the weight, attack and effortless power when I listened to Jackman's. What are you using for a preamp?

wreilly

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2003, 03:44 pm »
Hi Jerry,

I'm using an Aragon Stage One Pre/Pro.
In case your interested here is the link:

http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index2.asp?path=/aragonelectronics/index.asp?frame=y&id=&line=&1

Frank says next week I will be getting the T-7, can't wait!

Regards,
Bill

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:17 pm »
Bill,
The T7 will make a big difference, expecially the R version.  No remote, but I can't say there is anything else I don't like about it.

J

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:24 pm »
I have also found that Brimar tubes work very well in the 550ex, w/the tne new R upgrade they are just about perfect, they give a lot more of the "tube" sound while still maintaining the attack and definition.  Prior to the R upgrade they were a little soft, but now are perfect, IMO.

Also, get some tube dampers from Herbies Audio Lab, the most definitely give better low level resolution and tighter focus, highly recommended.

brad b

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:33 pm »
so if I had to upgrade my AVA 350 EX or the T-7, which one would you gentlemen suggest I do first. (Remember, my son if off to college to learn how to drink beer), so my budget is limited.
b

wreilly

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:54 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
I have also found that Brimar tubes work very well in the 550ex, w/the tne new R upgrade they are just about perfect, they give a lot more of the "tube" sound while still maintaining the attack and definition.  Prior to the R upgrade they were a little soft, but now are perfect, IMO.

Also, get some tube dampers from Herbies Audio Lab, the most definitely give better low level resolution and tighter focus, highly recommended.

Hi Tyson,

Thanks for the info. I won't roll the tubes for a while but I will try the Brimar. For the present the stock J&J are working great.

I should probably know this but what are Tube dampeners?

Regards,
Bill

wreilly

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:57 pm »
Quote from: jackman
Bill,
The T7 will make a big difference, expecially the R version.  No remote, but I can't say there is anything else I don't like about it.

J

Agreed, I wil REALLY miss not having a remote. Yes I'm spoiled  :D

wreilly

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:59 pm »
Quote from: brad b
so if I had to upgrade my AVA 350 EX or the T-7, which one would you gentlemen suggest I do first. (Remember, my son if off to college to learn how to drink beer), so my budget is limited.
b

Hi Brad,

Tough call, I'd let Frank be the judge.

Regards,
Bill

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:27 pm »
I'd call Frank about the upgrades.  I will say that the upgrade to R, regulated power supply, was MORE impactful than the upgrade from HC  to EX in the amp and the upgrade from Fetvalve to T7 in the preamp.  I never knew a power supply could make this big a difference.  Also, I really like the performance of the Superlative IC's from DIYCABLE.com between the amp and the preamp.  They are cheap and easy to build.  They have excellent bass and a really smooth top end.  I was showing Audiojerry the difference between them and some belden based IC's and he was amazed at the difference.  The belden's had a hard edge and totally sucked out all of the bass.  For the money, they are really good sounding.  Believe the hype!

I had all of my stuff upgraded at the same time so it was impossible to tell which component made the most difference in the improvement.  

Tyson:  I just bought a bunch of tubes.  Some made in England (forgot brand) NOS tubes, Siemens, and have bids on Telefunkin tubes (low bid that I'll probably lose).   Will keep you posted on how they sound on my system.   Were the Brimar's expensive?

J

warnerwh

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2003, 11:16 pm »
"I should probably know this but what are Tube dampeners? "

Tube dampeners help absorb vibration from you speakers. Tubes are microphonic, some more than others.  They can be so microphonic as to be unusuable.  The tube dampeners are to help cut down on feedback from your speakers to the tubes which of course goes right back through your speakers.  Some people like a significant amount of microphonics. If they are very microphonic the sound will be like you added reverb.  Hope this helps.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2003, 11:36 pm »
Quote from: wreilly
I should probably know this but what are Tube dampeners?

These are what Tyson was speaking of http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/

wreilly

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2003, 12:06 am »
warnerwh, bubba966,

Thanks for the info and the link.

Regards,
Bill

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:20 am »
Couple of comments regarding the binding posts on the Fet Valve and all other AVA amplifiers.  First of all we would NEVER use metal binding posts because they are an extreme safety hazard for small children and pets.  The amplifiers are capable of putting out over 70 volts AC (depending upon input signal) - and that dear readers, is over half of AC line voltage.  Would you run a coffee pot, a TV, or any other home appliance with half of AC line exposed on bare metal exteranl plugs?  Of course not!  Then pray tell why you want to do it with your audio amplifiers?  Duhhhhh!

The binding posts are spaced on 3/4 inch centers to accept standard lab grade double banana plug speaker wire terminations, the most reliable we know of.  The hots are in the center so that if the amps are used bridged mono, the connection can be made with one dual banana plug (Panoma type recommended).  We do not recommend gonzo space lugs the size of battery cable ends (except for you car battery).  We have seen clients try and tighten them with pipe wrenches and break the fittings right off, and of course then you really can hear the difference.

Big space lugs come loose, short together, and are very unreliable.  The object is the music, not gonzo hardware.  Relax, enjoy the music, and terminate your cables with reliable and safe fittings.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:23 am »
Regarding which AVA component to upgrade first, we would suggest preamp first.  Of course if you don't have the new Transcendence R-DAC, they you have no idea of how good the new Fet Valve EXR amplifiers and Transcendence SLR or ECR preamplifiers really are!  You can get a hint by listening to the phono section in the upgraded preamps.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:24 am »
Couple of comments regarding the binding posts on the Fet Valve and all other AVA amplifiers.  First of all we would NEVER use metal binding posts because they are an extreme safety hazard for small children and pets.  The amplifiers are capable of putting out over 70 volts AC (depending upon input signal) - and that dear readers, is over half of AC line voltage.  Would you run a coffee pot, a TV, or any other home appliance with half of AC line exposed on bare metal exteranl plugs?  Of course not!  Then pray tell why you want to do it with your audio amplifiers?  Duhhhhh!

The binding posts are spaced on 3/4 inch centers to accept standard lab grade double banana plug speaker wire terminations, the most reliable we know of.  The hots are in the center so that if the amps are used bridged mono, the connection can be made with one dual banana plug (Panoma type recommended).  We do not recommend gonzo space lugs the size of battery cable ends (except for you car battery).  We have seen clients try and tighten them with pipe wrenches and break the fittings right off, and of course then you really can hear the difference.

Big space lugs come loose, short together, and are very unreliable.  The object is the music, not gonzo hardware.  Relax, enjoy the music, and terminate your cables with reliable and safe fittings.

Frank Van Alstine

wreilly

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2003, 11:56 am »
Quote from: avahifi
Couple of comments regarding the binding posts on the Fet Valve and all other AVA amplifiers.  First of all we would NEVER use metal binding posts because they are an extreme safety hazard for small children and pets.  The amplifiers are capable of putting out over 70 volts AC (depending upon input signal) - and that dear readers, is over half of AC line voltage.  Would you run a coffee pot, a TV, or any other home appliance with half of AC line exposed on bare metal exteranl plugs?  Of course not!  Then pr ...

Hi Frank,

perhaps I didn't make my self clear. I did not, and would not suggest metal binding posts, I only suggested that they could be beter quality. Not that they are bad, they could just be better quality.

Besides I am so thrilled with the performance, it is, as I said, a minor point.

Regards,
Bill